Colorado ML question

CJohnson

WKR
This is a hypothetical as I don’t have a ML tag, but I’m helping a couple of family members who do. Is there a rule against carrying multiple guns on a ML hunt? I looked briefly but didn’t see anything. I’ll also go ahead and say that I don’t think it’s necessarily practical and/or ethical to do, but I was watching The Patriot last night and it made me think about it.

Don’t know about the rule, but the drudgery of carrying 2 rifles would seem to put you to a sufficient disadvantage, that the advantage of a quicker follow-up shot doesn’t violate “the spirit of the law” governing a primitive season.

Curious about this also—were I to bet, I’d say they’ve thought of the possibility when writing the regs.

But I’d also think only tag holders could carry a weapon. In other words, Jeeves couldn’t hold your 2nd rifle for you.

But ignore everything I say; I’m just thinking in a caricature of Montesquieu’s terms, not giving any insight on Colorado’s rules.

So this comes down to one of them grey areas and personally I would call THE CPW Officer in the area you are hunting and ask besides using a forum for legal advice. That being said I do not think there is any law of how many Legal firearms you can carry on your person during a hunt. I have archery hunted elk while carrying a rifle
In case I seen a bear that I could fill with my rifle bear tag. Now I wore all my blaze orange requirements and the rifle was attached to my pack. When I ram into a CPW officer their biggest concern was if I shot an elk they were going to want to see the carcass to make sure I didn’t use the rifle. Not illegal to do but was frowned upon. Here’s the next part you aren’t gonna be able to carry the muzzy for ur family member unless you have a tag in your pocket this comes down to you shooting instead of them. Sure it’s ur legal right to carry a gun in the woods but ur gonna raise suspicion if you are carrying the gun without a license, and if anyone thinks there is any foul play ur going to court. Just like myself if I hear 2 very fast muzzy shots in the season I typically investigate and ur shot times better match up to either a reload, 2 hunters with tags, or shooting once grabbing another gun and shooting again.

It’s like carrying a pistol during archery, it’s not illegal but better have ur ducks in a row cause you can’t even dispatch an animal with your pistol if you have an archery tag. I have been told I can dispatch a muzzy elk with a muzzy pistol as long as it meets caliber requirements, but I’ve also been told I can by a different game warden.

Call the warden in the area ur hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KsRancher

WKR
Last year my dad had a muzzleloader elk tag and brother had a muzzy mulie tag. The elk and mule deer were in the same area. So we all just hunted together. If we seen a bull we went after it together. And the same for deer. Our thoughts were if one guy shot he could swap muzzleloaders the other for a quick follow-up shot. It never did happen, but feel like it would have worked great

Jaquomo

WKR
You could duct tape them together, and then you could pretend you're in Africa, hunting with a double rifle!

Seriously, with different versions of illegal party hunting being a regular practice by some NRs from states where that is legal, you'd better have your story buttoned-up really tight. The 2A says you can carry a whole golf bag full of guns if you want, and you can be the caddy for the licensed hunter. But game wardens have heard every version of party hunting excuses, so everything better match up. And if you get smart with him he may allow you to tell your story to a judge.

Last edited:
This is a hypothetical as I don’t have a ML tag, but I’m helping a couple of family members who do. Is there a rule against carrying multiple guns on a ML hunt? I looked briefly but didn’t see anything. I’ll also go ahead and say that I don’t think it’s necessarily practical and/or ethical to do, but I was watching The Patriot last night and it made me think about it.
Why would anyone want to huff around the mountains with 2 muzzleloaders. Make the first shot count and quickly reload if needed.

OP
C

CJohnson

WKR
I realize that I wasn’t very clear in the OP. I’m not planning to carry around a weapon because I don’t have a tag. I just like to go along with my relatives when they draw a tag and I don’t to help locate animals, tend to the livestock, and quarter up animals/pack out.

Both of them have ML tags and will each have a rifle. I was just curious that if one of them shot an animal and had the opportunity to make a follow up shot if they could take the other persons rifle to do it with or if they had to reload their own rifle.

You could duct tape them together, and then you could pretend you're in Africa, hunting with a double rifle!

Seriously, with different versions of illegal party hunting being a regular practice by some NRs from states where that is legal, you'd better have your story buttoned-up really tight. The 2A says you can carry a whole golf bag full of guns if you want, and you can be the caddy for the licensed hunter. But game wardens have heard every version of party hunting excuses, so everything better match up. And if you get smart with him he may allow you to tell your story to a judge.

I don’t think you could duct tape two rifles together, but ok.

Why would anyone want to huff around the mountains with 2 muzzleloaders. Make the first shot count and quickly reload if needed.
While I would agree that carrying two weapons while walking would be cumbersome, a lot of people use horses and it seems like that wouldn’t be as much trouble.

Again, it was a hypothetical question. I was just curious if anyone had any first hand experience.

Last year my dad had a muzzleloader elk tag and brother had a muzzy mulie tag. The elk and mule deer were in the same area. So we all just hunted together. If we seen a bull we went after it together. And the same for deer. Our thoughts were if one guy shot he could swap muzzleloaders the other for a quick follow-up shot. It never did happen, but feel like it would have worked great

Sounds illegal cause you said dad had elk brother had deer, you didn’t have a tag? What tag were you carrying? Sure you guys could swap guns if needed but 2 tags 3 guys is party hunting.

I realize that I wasn’t very clear in the OP. I’m not planning to carry around a weapon because I don’t have a tag. I just like to go along with my relatives when they draw a tag and I don’t to help locate animals, tend to the livestock, and quarter up animals/pack out.

Both of them have ML tags and will each have a rifle. I was just curious that if one of them shot an animal and had the opportunity to make a follow up shot if they could take the other persons rifle to do it with or if they had to reload their own rifle.

While I would agree that carrying two weapons while walking would be cumbersome, a lot of people use horses and it seems like that wouldn’t be as much trouble.

Again, it was a hypothetical question. I was just curious if anyone had any first hand experience.
Different rifles from different people are sighted differently and POI are likely different. Not the most effective and ethical way to go. Practice reloading quickly. Its muzzy hunting not shooting a semi-auto.

KsRancher

WKR
Sounds illegal cause you said dad had elk brother had deer, you didn’t have a tag? What tag were you carrying? Sure you guys could swap guns if needed but 2 tags 3 guys is party hunting.

I didn't have a gun. I was just following along

OP
C

CJohnson

WKR
Different rifles from different people are sighted differently and POI are likely different. Not the most effective and ethical way to go. Practice reloading quickly. Its muzzy hunting not shooting a semi-auto.
Good grief. I never said it was a good idea, effective, or ethical. Just asked if anyone knew whether or not it was against the rules.

It’s ok to say you don’t know whether or not it is.

But, since you brought it up - both people are shooting the same type of gun, same powder, and same projectile. I seriously doubt either one would have trouble picking up either rifle and hitting an elk in the vitals at <100 yards.

KsRancher

WKR
I was wondering how in the heck party hunting was even a thought about in my post. So I had to go back and read it. I guess I should have described our scenario a little better. Dad had a muzzleloader elk tag, brother had a muzzleloader mulie tag. I was along just to be along, no tag or weapon. We stayed together as a group of 3. If we seen a bull we would go after it as a group of 3, but dad was the only one shooting. And if he shot he would swap guns with my brother and have a quick follow-up shot while my brother reloaded. And the same thing if my brother shot at a deer, they would swap so my brother could get a quick follow-up shot while my dad reloaded.

If we were party hunting then my dad would have shot a REALLY nice 4x4 mule deer. But we came home with nothing. When walking a trail with dad in the lead, me in the middle and brother bringing up the rear. A 4x4 steps out on the trail 100yds in front of us. Dad stops instantly so me and my brother do the same. In trying to get my brother up in front to shoot, the deer runs off. If party hunting dad would have dropped that buck in a second.

OP
C

CJohnson

WKR
2 tags 3 guys is party hunting.
Can you elaborate on this because that's not the definition laid out in the Big Game Brochure?

Do you mean 2 people in the group have tags, but all 3 are carrying weapons with the intention of killing 2 animals and putting tags on them regardless of who shot them?

Or, 2 people in the group have tags and a 3rd is along for the trip to help spot animals, call, quarter meat, etc?

Jaquomo

WKR

You can duct tape two pickup trucks together if you have enough tape. Maybe a sense of humor is in order...

OP
C

CJohnson

WKR
You can duct tape two pickup trucks together if you have enough tape. Maybe a sense of humor is in order...
Yeah my bad on that one, I didn't pick up the humor in it right off because I got hung up on the whole party hunting thing being defined by several people on here as something different than what I read in the regs.

Jethro

WKR
Yes. They could take the other persons gun and fire a finishing shot.

If you are just going with 2 legally licensed hunters to help them and don't try to kill anything, you're fine. Its not party hunting.

Can you elaborate on this because that's not the definition laid out in the Big Game Brochure?

Do you mean 2 people in the group have tags, but all 3 are carrying weapons with the intention of killing 2 animals and putting tags on them regardless of who shot them?

Or, 2 people in the group have tags and a 3rd is along for the trip to help spot animals, call, quarter meat, etc?

3 hunters 2 tags would have been better way to say it, but also party hunting is shooting urs and a buddies elk for him. Or shooting ur buddies buck…. Essentially shooting any animal for another person which you don’t have a tag for.