help with new ml

bnsafe

WKR
I just booked a colorado elk hunt for next year for my daughter and myself. She currently has a cva wolf and I have a tc impact. I think both shoot ok, shots should be close, under a 100 i expect tho will confirm. But, being this is my once in a lifetime hunt with my daughter I was thinking about getting something different. Either one ml and just switch off if she kills one first, or 2 cheaper ml.
I dont know much about ml anymore. Back 45 years ago we shot hawkins and you see I have a cheap in line now, I certainly dont keep up with it. Also, maybe tho I doubt these guns will be used for much more than this hunt.
With all that said, I think I would like to buy maybe one mid range gun and she could have it to keep long after Im gone to remember this hunt with.
1. Should I just stick with the wolf and impact, I assume both will work just fine?
2. Upgrade to something like a accura v2?
3. Possibly 1 cva mr x
4. another option in those price ranges. I dont wanna spend to much for a one hunt gun.

OXN939

WKR
Either one ml and just switch off if she kills one first,

Skip this idea for sure. Well documented that individual dimensions vary enough to cause POI shifts, and the differences between a young lady and a man would likely be significant.

1. Should I just stick with the wolf and impact, I assume both will work just fine?

As long as you can get both to group well with quality ammo, I would stick with what you've got. Honestly, Muzzleloaders are so simple- essentially a barrel contained with a breech plug and two pieces of furniture bolted on- that the ammo you're shooting probably matters more than the rifle. I have a CVA Wolf that cost less than the rings on my 6.5 PRC, and I've killed four whitetails over 130" with it. I'll be confidently taking it into the woods again here in a few weeks. Might not be a bad idea to throw a Williams peep on there, but your rifles will probably do just fine.

Getting started early working out the details of ammo, powder and primers is the biggest thing. If you buy the Thor sizing pack, it will allow you to order the correct size ammo for both your rifles, and as long as it shoots well (which it almost certainly will if properly sized) everything else should be cake.

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
thx. she has a williams peep on hers. I think we shot thor 2 years ago. Im overthinking it but want this to be special, its my bucket list hunt

OXN939

WKR
thx. she has a williams peep on hers. I think we shot thor 2 years ago. Im overthinking it but want this to be special, its my bucket list hunt

Wolves are for killers. Shoot a few groups with a stout load and send it.

1.png

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
nice buck,
we shot 777 but sounds like blackhorn might be the way to go, but then I was reading you needed a different breech plug for that, and nothings showing up for my impact. her wolf is 2 years old, maybe we should just keep shooting 777. I really didnt wanna go down a rabbit hole with powder, primers, etc. I just wanna keep it simple.

Since you'll be in CO, the iron sights are your biggest restriction as far as accuracy. I doubt you'd see any benefit with a more expensive rifle since you're already using the Willams precision. Spend the money on practice. BH209 is the best powder but it has gotten EXPEN$IVE! If 777 works for you then use it. Try out the new Hornady Bore Driver ELDX bullet, its a high BC bullet designed for traditional twist muzzleloaders. You may not be as concerned with longer distance but the higher BC (nearly 2x other options) pays huge dividends in wind deflection.

I’d stick with what you have. Those CVAs you mention are not an upgrade from your current rifles, IMO.

You would need a Bh209 plug for the Wolf. The TC will work fine with the OEM plug and Bh209 if you use it (I highly recommend Bh209).

As for bullets. Stick with a good bullet of at least 300 gr. The Thors are great. The new Hornady Eld-X are too soft/explosive for elk. Fine probably for a deer but not for elk. Check out some of the posted tests on them before considering them for elk.

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
thanks guys
so, the breech plug in my impact will work for bh209? I will buy another plug for her wolf, do the plugs say bh209 on them specifically? I bought some federal primers and have about 150, but is there a difference in the 209a primers? do I need to look for those.
Ive got some time here obviously, but wanna start getting this right. I bet what I have and have used in the past will kill just fine, but, I want whats gonna work best.

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
also, has anyone used the powerbelt coppers for elk? I dont much care for coppers in anything an avoid them. but the local store has some and I thought maybe we should as least try and shoot some.

If you shoot bh209 do not use any primer made for muzzleloaders. You want at minimum a standard 209 primer. I would also recommend at least trying a Parker ballistic extreme and would skip any offering from powerbelt. The cva plug for blackhorn has a big recess on the powder side of the plug.

thanks guys
so, the breech plug in my impact will work for bh209? I will buy another plug for her wolf, do the plugs say bh209 on them specifically? I bought some federal primers and have about 150, but is there a difference in the 209a primers? do I need to look for those.
Ive got some time here obviously, but wanna start getting this right. I bet what I have and have used in the past will kill just fine, but, I want whats gonna work best.
Which Federals do you have? I assume you mean the Federal muzzy primers? If so, they may work with Bh209 (most of the time) but mag 209s are recommended with Bh209 (Fed 209a and CCIm).

The Powerbelt “Coppers” are just a copper plated (not jacketed) soft lead bullet and generally considered garbage (sub-par terminal performance). I wouldn’t consider shooting any Powerbelt at an elk.

More info on the CVA Blackhorn plug:

If you shoot bh209 do not use any primer made for muzzleloaders. You want at minimum a standard 209 primer. I would also recommend at least trying a Parker ballistic extreme and would skip any offering from powerbelt. The cva plug for blackhorn has a big recess on the powder side of the plug.
I've had zero misfires in my CVA Accura V2 during the last 10 or more Iowa late season muzzy hunts with 90 grains of BH and a standard winchester 209 primer.

I recommend visiting this site and talking to these guys about ideal bullets for factory muzzies. They also support and sell custom muzzies. I've had good luck with their bullets on whitetails and they sell species and distance-specific. Lots of happy return customers as well.

Precision Rifle Home

Here are there "Colorado Conicals" to be legal in CO.

Colorado Conicals

Last edited:
I've had zero misfires in my CVA Accura V2 during the last 10 or more Iowa late season muzzy hunts with 90 grains of BH and a standard winchester 209 primer.

I recommend visiting this site and talking to these guys about ideal bullets for factory muzzies. They also support and sell custom muzzies. I've had good luck with their bullets on whitetails and they sell species and distance-specific. Lots of happy return customers as well.

Precision Rifle Home
Are you using primers marked as ML or just a 209/209a

I have a cva wolf, 100 grains 777 pellets, and Hornady sabots. These may not be legal where your going so check. But I can't bring myself to buy a "nicer" ml it stacks holes out to 200 yards.

Buy the best components you can afford/find and you will have good shooting guns.

Swamp Fox

WKR
Some great advice here.

I'll bet after you're gone she'll love the rifles y'all used on many hunts a lot more than any new gizmo you could have bought for this one.

Unless you want to teach her about sidelocks and tell all the stories about hot, soapy water and walking to skool uphill in the snow both ways ... ; ) That could be fun.

Good luck!

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
Ok, check in the mail for the outfitter, thor sizing packs ordered, bh209 bought. I still gotta find some primers and buy a new breech plug for my impact and have her get one for her wolf. I might go with one of the ribpeeps from e arthur brown for my impact, or just stick with the fibers that came on it. Has anyone mounted one of those on their rifles, the screw holes seem to small for a solid mount. Anyway, I need to find some primers but good to go otherwise.

CMF

WKR
I got the CVA MR-X this year and don't regret it. One benefit of the MRX over the wolf is the muzzle break. I put an Anarch break on it. I shot the MR-X and a borrowed wolf and the MR-X has significantly less felt recoil over the wolf shooting the same load (80grn BH209, 330grn ELR).
My daughter took her first elk with it in Colorado last month.
I'm pretty sure the breach plug is stamped bh209.