Lite 300 wm recoil

Encore4me

FNG
I don’t mean this to sound disrespectful or make it seem like I’m acting tuff. I don’t find the recoil on my Tikka Super lite 300 wm all that bad. Yes, a lighter recoiling gun is more pleasant to shoot but this is not bad. I grew up shooting shotguns with slugs and 3 1/2” turkey loads. I wonder if the people saying it is bad have any experience shooting heavier recoiling guns. If all you have shot are smaller guns than yes this has a lot of recoil but if you have shot guns with a lot of recoil this is not bad. Just my thoughts what do you think?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
When I see people online complaining about recoil, I assume they are just new shooters or hunters with limited shooting experience.

I have been shooting since the age of 6 and doing so quite a lot all of my adult life. I would describe myself as a firearms enthusiast who hunts rather than a hunter who shoots because it is part of the sport.

As you shoot more, you learn that recoil is only an issue if you make it one on your head. It doesn't matter. By the time you feel recoil, everything important has already happened.

I hunted primarily with a 300WM for 18 years or so. In the last few I have branched out, but my go to rifles are a 300 Wby and a 7mm Wby. There is a lot to be said for using enough gun. Not every shot or shot opportunity is perfect.

But it's a free country (sort of), so each man can shoot whatever rifle he likes. I don't care what other people shoot.

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
I'm curious what your total gun + scope weight is. I have a TX3 lite WM on the way and am planning to run a 26oz scope, cut the barrel to 21", and run a 6" suppressor. Hopefully the recoil is in the vicinity of my 30-06 with 180gr bullets which I'm fine shooting after a year of practice.
One thing to consider is recoil velocity in addition to force. WM has a reputation for "snappy" recoil whereas a bigger gun like 338 WM is often said to have a "pushy" recoil.

This recoil table from https://randywakeman.com/RifleRecoilTable.htm assumes an 8 lb gun. I now know why superlight shotguns aren't very popular.
RifleRecoilTable.jpg

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
It is certainly true that rifle weight and fit are huge factors in felt recoil. My Wby Mk V Ultra lightweight in .30-06 has substantially more felt recoil than my Mk V Accumark in 300 Wby. But you have to carry it...

Gingerman

Lil-Rokslider
10-12lbs 300WM with muzzle brake and decent recoil pad shooting up to 200gr pills ain’t bad at all. An Ithaca deer slayer shooting high brass Light field hybrid sabots is just punishing! Lol

Lots to do with stock design n such. Ithaca’s have always beat me up.

OP
E

Encore4me

FNG
I'm curious what your total gun + scope weight is. I have a TX3 lite WM on the way and am planning to run a 26oz scope, cut the barrel to 21", and run a 6" suppressor. Hopefully the recoil is in the vicinity of my 30-06 with 180gr bullets which I'm fine shooting after a year of practice.
One thing to consider is recoil velocity in addition to force. WM has a reputation for "snappy" recoil whereas a bigger gun like 338 WM is often said to have a "pushy" recoil.

This recoil table from https://randywakeman.com/RifleRecoilTable.htm assumes an 8 lb gun. I now know why superlight shotguns aren't very popular.
RifleRecoilTable.jpg

8.2 lbs is wt of gun and scope. I knew my 12 gauge had more felt recoil but not almost 3 times as much. That’s exactly why I think recoil is subjective to the shooter, it’s what you are used to.

Last edited:

brushape

WKR
Dealing with felt recoil and actually being able to spot your hits and shots are two absolutely different things. I have a tikka 300 win and I’ve duck hunted my entire life and shot thousands and thousands of 3.5 12 guage loads but still shooting that 300 win is miserable and unpleasant compared to any of my softer rifles. I know maybe you’re not trying to be a tough guy but I think you probably just haven’t realized and seen the benefits of a more manageable setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E

Encore4me

FNG
Dealing with felt recoil and actually being able to spot your hits and shots are two absolutely different things. I have a tikka 300 win and I’ve duck hunted my entire life and shot thousands and thousands of 3.5 12 guage loads but still shooting that 300 win is miserable and unpleasant compared to any of my softer rifles. I know maybe you’re not trying to be a tough guy but I think you probably just haven’t realized and seen the benefits of a more manageable setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reason I chose the 300 is because my son and I are going on unguided hunts in Alaska. There is a good chance we may run into Grizzly Bears. The animals we are hunting don’t necessarily need 300 type rifles but we will feel better with them as potential protection.

I like a hard kicking rifle for a few shots. Definitely not good for prolonged practice/bench time cause it can cause form issues and a flinch. But hey, the legendary 300 Win performance comes with the kick.

ID_Matt

WKR
Some people rate recoil based on if it knocks teeth out or not, and some rate it based on ability to control the rifle and spot shots. I don't think i'd cry after shooting a 7lb unbraked 300 WM, but I sure don't think i'd prefer it for being proficient in the field.