Colorado Mule deer draw

Hey new member here trying to glean some wisdom from other who have done this. I’m sorting through almost 1000 pages of the Colorado draw reports looking to see which GMUs and rifle season would be the best to increase odds of a successful draw.
I noticed that the later seasons seem to be more popular and require more preference points, at least in some GMUs. Just curious as to why this is? I would think with potential to be snowed in the earlier seasons would be more popular?

My group includes myself, a co-worker and my 16 year old son. We are rifle hunting at this stage in the game and are fully planning on packing in. Or at least setting up a dispersed base camp in the NF as far back as my 4wd will take me before we set out towards a wilderness area or on our hunt.

Any words of wisdom or GMUs we might should look at for a first time draw? I’ve got several narrowed down but getting info from those who have done this already is obviously that much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
First off, not to be a dick but no one is going to want to tell you what unit to go to. Anyone that does is either fooling you are just plain stupid and I would not trust them. Seriously, no offense! You should be asking yourselves what kind of hunt do you want to go on as far as time of year, terrain, NF vs Wilderness Vs BLM, proximity to town, etc. Then get a subscription to Gohunt or the like and start researching. Doing all the research is half the fun. The best part about Colorado is you can literally have a great deer hunt in any unit you pick. The problem is (and I have this problem every year) is picking a spot and going. After choosing a unit I am sure you will google it and find nothing but negative information like "so over crowded, no game, too many predators, blah blah" well thats because the internet attracts only negative comments and people arent going to want their units to gain attention from more hunters. What forums are good for is asking about road access, camp grounds, tactics on finding deer during certain times of the year, elevation, weather patterns, etc. The later seasons are more popular because once a good amount of snow is on the ground and bucks begin to stage for the rut come early to mid November the deer hunting is considered better, or easier. But dont overlook 2nd season in October, it has always been a good time to hunt as well. Sounds like this if your first mule deer hunt, if so, dont get frustrated figuring out how to find bucks and hunt them. Tons of articles and books out there that help understand hunting mule deer so now is a good time to start studying, good luck!

OP
Haulinbass02
I wasn’t necessarily asking for specific GMUs for sure, I know how that kind of stuff goes and I am not one to want to take anyone else’s hard work from them for sure!
I guess in doing this research I’m finding some units have crazy high preference points required before people get drawn and some have a lot of 0 preference points being drawn.
I know Colorado has really good deer hunting so I’m not necessarily worried about that as much as maybe what you would call draw tactics.
Should I stick to trying to apply for draw in the units I have found that people with NO preference points are having success at getting drawn? Those also have tons of applicants as well. It appears the ones that people are having a lot of preference points before getting drawn it would make no sense to even try.
I have the GMUs I WANT to hunt in picked out mainly based on what I think I can be successful in drawing.
Again I don’t mind a completely remote hunt. Far from town whatever. I’m in it for the adventure.

Dcrafton

WKR
Hey new member here trying to glean some wisdom from other who have done this. I’m sorting through almost 1000 pages of the Colorado draw reports looking to see which GMUs and rifle season would be the best to increase odds of a successful draw.
I noticed that the later seasons seem to be more popular and require more preference points, at least in some GMUs. Just curious as to why this is? I would think with potential to be snowed in the earlier seasons would be more popular?

My group includes myself, a co-worker and my 16 year old son. We are rifle hunting at this stage in the game and are fully planning on packing in. Or at least setting up a dispersed base camp in the NF as far back as my 4wd will take me before we set out towards a wilderness area or on our hunt.

Any words of wisdom or GMUs we might should look at for a first time draw? I’ve got several narrowed down but getting info from those who have done this already is obviously that much better.

PM me, I’ve got some good areas for you to look at. I’ve hunted many years in Colorado as a non-resident. I may not tell you where I hunt but I can tell you what I’ve learned.

fmyth

WKR
I was in your shoes 4 years ago and invested in a GoHunt.com membership to help me decide which units/hunts to apply for. It has worked out great for me.

OP
Haulinbass02
Pacific_fork, I think there might be a little confusion in how I asked my question. I’m only looking for GMU info where I have better odds at getting drawn for the first time, not hunter success! That part is obviously up to me!
I am really trying to see if there is ANY correlation to the amount of preference points to hunter success for some of these units? Or is that just something the state just decides due to tag allotment? There has to be a reason why some of those units require so many preference points before you can even be drawn?
Anyway, I will definitely be looking at the other sites as well.

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
The reasons are: trophy potential, game density, access, legend, weather propensity, terrain, etc. Compare the harvest stats with the tags you can draw to narrow them down, then check for public land.

Forget this part below because it will just get in the way of a fun hunt.

fully planning on packing in. Or at least setting up a dispersed base camp in the NF as far back as my 4wd will take me before we set out towards a wilderness area or on our hunt.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Pacific_fork, I think there might be a little confusion in how I asked my question. I’m only looking for GMU info where I have better odds at getting drawn for the first time, not hunter success! That part is obviously up to me!
I am really trying to see if there is ANY correlation to the amount of preference points to hunter success for some of these units? Or is that just something the state just decides due to tag allotment? There has to be a reason why some of those units require so many preference points before you can even be drawn?
Anyway, I will definitely be looking at the other sites as well.

Reasons listed above. There are a handful of units to draw with 0 points that you can be successful in! Just check the draw reports and pick a couple of units based off of what you can draw. Once you have all the 0 point units picked out start E scouting and that will help you narrow down which units look best to you.

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
There are some decent areas to draw with 0 points during 2nd and 3rd season. You will have plenty of orange company In the units, but will have opportunities to fill tags and a chance at some quality bucks.
When researching, I wouldn’t focus on the harvest data that CPW provides, as I don’t know anyone who has ever been asked by CPW if they were successful or not.

OP
Haulinbass02
The reasons are: trophy potential, game density, access, legend, weather propensity, terrain, etc. Compare the harvest stats with the tags you can draw to narrow them down, then check for public land.

Forget this part below because it will just get in the way of a fun hunt.

Why do you say to forget that part? To me that is part of the fun.......

OP
Haulinbass02
Is there a better map than the “interactive” one on the BLM website to show me BLM lands in CO? It didn’t seem very intuitive in showing me places that are open for hunting and recreation.
Also, I’m toying with OnX Hunt, is it worth the $100+ a year? It seems to show that kind of stuff better but I’m not sure how much I can trust it. It showed some of the boundaries at the Lake Meredith NRA here in Texas completely wrong.

Blueticker1

Lil-Rokslider
If you are going to hunt out of state onx is the ticket, I've used it quite a bit and also every year. I think it is definitely worth it but I haven't tried any of the competitors either

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
Like said above, OnX is the way to go. I’ve used it on many out of state hunts and in my home state. Never had an issue with it.

sndmn11

WKR
Why do you say to forget that part? To me that is part of the fun.......

"Packing in" "as far back as my 4wd will take me" "wilderness area"....
It seems from your questions that you don't have a cart or a horse, so I can't really use the cart before the horse cliche. Your best method for travel is going to be powered and on easy roads. You absolutely do not need to be Backcountry team of the year to turn up a few legal bucks. Especially when you are not familiar with the country and have little to no knowledge of mule deer hunting. Study those stats to find units, narrow down your choices, and then lay a plan that lends itself to versatility...because you have no experience or knowledge to keyhole a plan yet.
Yes, OnX is well worth it.

OP
Haulinbass02
"Packing in" "as far back as my 4wd will take me" "wilderness area"....
It seems from your questions that you don't have a cart or a horse, so I can't really use the cart before the horse cliche. Your best method for travel is going to be powered and on easy roads. You absolutely do not need to be Backcountry team of the year to turn up a few legal bucks. Especially when you are not familiar with the country and have little to no knowledge of mule deer hunting. Study those stats to find units, narrow down your choices, and then lay a plan that lends itself to versatility...because you have no experience or knowledge to keyhole a plan yet.
Yes, OnX is well worth it.

Point taken.

Dcrafton

WKR
All in Colorado in 0 point units
cd1dde157837a1aee0deb60006a9c58c.jpg