Colorado Unit 20

myerz28

FNG
I have put in for 3rd rifle season in Unit 20. I have looked through the threads couldn't find anything. If anyone has any information on this unit please let me know thank you.

Laned

WKR
It's about 50% private land, and includes RMNP and state and county land (which aren't generally huntable). So, have a good map of property boundaries (electronic and/or paper) and maybe look into getting permissions for accessing some private lands around where you plan to hunt.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I concur, have good maps or onX. There is a lot of mixed USFS property and private, with jagged boundaries. I would hunt farther east in the unit for 3rd.

OP
M

myerz28

FNG
Yeah i have been looking on onX yet i think that it will be to far east for winter migration. if you go to far east it's all rocky mt national park very tricky. I have been scouting and have seen alot on trail cams just looking for advice ha. I am new i know hunting is a very hush hush thing just wanted some input i do appreciate the replay hopefully i get some more.

Laned

WKR
Well, it's kinda tough because you have RMNP taking up most of the west side and then there's a bunch of farmland and towns on the east side plains with a bunch of private, state and, and county land peppered in between. It doesn't take much to get from the mountains down to the plains. Since you have OnX, you may want to get familiar with the migration routes and see how they line up with your trailcam footage (i.e., time of year). My guess is that they'll probably go up to their summer range along similar corridors as going to their winter range, just the opposite direction. But take that with a grain of salt because that's just a guess. Also, not sure how familiar you are with weather patterns here in Colorado, but depending on how and when the snows and temperatures drop is going to be a good driver on when they make that migration (not factoring in hunting pressure).

Yeah i have been looking on onX yet i think that it will be to far east for winter migration. if you go to far east it's all rocky mt national park very tricky. I have been scouting and have seen alot on trail cams just looking for advice ha. I am new i know hunting is a very hush hush thing just wanted some input i do appreciate the replay hopefully i get some more.
I think you have it backwards my friend. RMNP is on the West side of the unit, and the deer migrate from West to East, high to low. Its not a secret. Good luck though.

OP
M

myerz28

FNG
Well, it's kinda tough because you have RMNP taking up most of the west side and then there's a bunch of farmland and towns on the east side plains with a bunch of private, state and, and county land peppered in between. It doesn't take much to get from the mountains down to the plains. Since you have OnX, you may want to get familiar with the migration routes and see how they line up with your trailcam footage (i.e., time of year). My guess is that they'll probably go up to their summer range along similar corridors as going to their winter range, just the opposite direction. But take that with a grain of salt because that's just a guess. Also, not sure how familiar you are with weather patterns here in Colorado, but depending on how and when the snows and temperatures drop is going to be a good driver on when they make that migration (not factoring in hunting pressure).

yes i do know the weather is unpredictable i guess it is kind of a toss up kind of find the right migration pattern and hope they get within 800 yrds

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
I took a left over tag for the 3rd season a few years ago and finding access to the NF or BLM land is tuff. I found a spot where the cliff was the shortest, only about 900 feet and picked my way up thought it so I could access the NF. Harvested a buck boned him out then packed him back down that cliff. The deer had CWD and the wildlife manager told me it is common in that unit. Good luck!