Colorado Unit 201 Elk

Jaquomo

WKR
It was really warm when we hunted, and almost all the cam photos at waterholes were between 11 pm and 3 am. The BLM map is the most accurate we found, but since BLM allows people to go off road, there are lots of trails not shown. The waterhole where we killed both our bulls was not shown on the BLM map. I found it when scouting a new spot midday on day one of the hunt.

Roc8man

FNG
We spotted-stalked bulls in the mornings and sat water in the evenings. They weren't coming to water until almost dark, or in the middle of the night.
That's what I was thinking until I saw a bunch of deer hitting the small little pools of water on the road during the middle of the day. It made me wonder if the elk in that unit would do the same since there is less pressure. Guess not. Thanks!

Roc8man

FNG
Does anyone have a map with accurate trails for 201 that they would recommend. So far the two I have conflict.

I’ve hunted diamond twice for cows and seen great bulls second season and zero for third. They’re mostly on private by then.
At least the big ones.
Had two 350+ beating the hell out of each other at 20 yards. They didn’t even know I was there. 2nd rifle. Was in bow range of 9 bulls that day. But I follow no trail.
If you spend a weekend driving around, you’ll learn the roads. Take the next weekend and faux a hunt. You’ll pick up routes/spots pretty quick.
If a freak storm comes in, be prepared for testing conditions. And alternate plans for getting around up top. It gets dynamic, quick.
Very special place considering the points involved

squirrel

WKR
Horrible hunt, beautiful country, huge elk. While that may seem to be contradictory, its not. 1 tag =10-25 hunters, its a zoo... I would love to go back in-between seasons just to photo them though. Ive had way better hunts than this one on OTC elk tags.8E18EBA0-028A-4060-BED9-404ABEEE62E9.jpeg97E3C30B-8EF2-49AE-95D7-19229126D9D6.jpegD1C7E1E1-FBA8-473A-A913-C284A842A43F.jpeg

Roc8man

FNG
I’ve hunted diamond twice for cows and seen great bulls second season and zero for third. They’re mostly on private by then.
At least the big ones.
Had two 350+ beating the hell out of each other at 20 yards. They didn’t even know I was there. 2nd rifle. Was in bow range of 9 bulls that day. But I follow no trail.
If you spend a weekend driving around, you’ll learn the roads. Take the next weekend and faux a hunt. You’ll pick up routes/spots pretty quick.
If a freak storm comes in, be prepared for testing conditions. And alternate plans for getting around up top. It gets dynamic, quick.
Very special place considering the points involved
I spent four days driving, hiking and biking around so that's how I discovered the maps don't really match the trails/roads there. I'll be back out for another week soon and spend more time marking up my existing maps. Did it take points to hunt cows there? I'll be archery hunting it so if you have any tips on where you were within range of 9 bulls it's appreciated. At my age, there is no way I will ever be able to hunt it again...at least not for bulls.

Roc8man

FNG
I just returned from another scouting trip and saw some bulls but none at water. It was hot as heck (85-93 deg there) and the wind was very shifty. I'll be going back again next week for more scouting. For those of you who killed bulls at waterholes in either 201 or 2, did you take your animal at dawn, mid day or dusk?

Gofastr

FNG
26 points later and I finally drew 201 this year. Ive lived in western colorado my entire life so have been in that area numerous times, although its been awhile...will be doing plenty of scouting in the coming months but if anyone has any tips they care to throw my way I'm all ears.
What season did you draw?