Colorado Unit 56 - Intel Please

twhitmo30

FNG
Classified Approved
Does anyone have any real world experience with this unit ?

And if so , archery or first rifle . I have an opportunity to secure a voucher

I don’t mind steep and rugged , and love spending time behind my spotter and formulating a plan . It appears this unit is my kind of hunting .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sveltri

WKR
The unit sees heavy non-hunter recreational traffic, there are some decent bulls but the elk are few and far between. They're either are on private or get there very quickly once hunting season begins. If its your only option or the voucher is inexpensive go for it, if not I'd save my money.

OP
twhitmo30

twhitmo30

FNG
Classified Approved
What about 57/58 Muzzleloader? My options are 56 first rifle / Archery . Or 57/58 Muzzleloader

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cured_ham

WKR
I was to your south in 561 for archery season. I am going back again this year. Had a good hunt. Very steep.

You are correct on 56 being very steep and rugged. I would make sure you are in good shape because this altitude is brutal for people who aren't used to it. I assume you are chasing elk and if that's the case I wouldn't spend all day behind glass but some glassing is a help. I have found either elk are in an area or they aren't so I've never been one to sit all day and glass for them, especially early season when they spend a lot of time above tree line. Deer I absolutely would though. 57/58 muzzy is a good tag as well but in my experience has become very crowded over the past 5 years or so. It is definitely not near as steep as 56 but you will end up having to get creative to get away from other hunters. There are also aren't really any situations where you would sit and glass. Its more of locate by walking and calling type hunting.