Colorado Unit ** elk

Hey everyone, new to this forum and I'm going to ask for advice/tips, I know, I'm sorry. I'll try to be as descriptive as possible to avoid people thinking I'm trying to just find an easy elk spot and go home.

I'm heading to unit ** for 2nd rifle. Wanted to go farther west for archery but I'm in the military and uncle sam had other plans...

Anyway, we're heading in for 2nd rifle and i think we're going to start out concentrating around the south side of chief mountain, warrior mountain etc down towards vance creek. Anyone have any insight into this particular area? Size of the elk herd, elevations around mid to late october etc.

Between the two of us, we'll have 1 elk tag and 1 deer tag. Worth buying a bear tag as well? And is it reasonable to expect leftover cow tags?

I know everyone sees these threads asking for help all the time. I really appreciate it in advance. And if anyone has any questions about 65, I'd be more than happy to help

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t know anything about unit 39, but welcome to the forum and thanks for your service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Worth buying a bear tag as well?

If you decide to pick up a bear tag just remember Colorado's mandatory bear inspection. You have to personally present bears at a CPW office during working hours within 5 days of the kill to be inspected and sealed. Ensure that fits into your plans before you kill one because they're not too lenient on that rule.

If you decide to pick up a bear tag just remember Colorado's mandatory bear inspection. You have to personally present bears at a CPW office during working hours within 5 days of the kill to be inspected and sealed. Ensure that fits into your plans before you kill one because they're not too lenient on that rule.

Yeah, that goes without saying. Any idea how the population is in that area?

Just curious how the hunt in ** went? Send a PM

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven’t been to the unit so just looking for a little direction on terrain, access, week of season (archery), where I should stay, etc. I’m not looking for everyone’s honey holes. Just trying to get in contact with someone who might be willing to help a bit. I’ve helped others in the past (not publicly - PMs/phone calls) and many others have helped me, but good to know I can’t count on any of you.

I get it, it’s getting more difficult to hunt Colorado without points so you guys are a little salty but don’t need to take it out on me. I’m looking for someone who likes the good kinda karma. Also, have 3 points so plan to draw it and go regardless. Thanks anyways boys. See you out there.

Haven’t been to the unit so just looking for a little direction on terrain, access, week of season (archery), where I should stay, etc. I’m not looking for everyone’s honey holes. Just trying to get in contact with someone who might be willing to help a bit. I’ve helped others in the past (not publicly - PMs/phone calls) and many others have helped me, but good to know I can’t count on any of you.

I get it, it’s getting more difficult to hunt Colorado without points so you guys are a little salty but don’t need to take it out on me. I’m looking for someone who likes the good kinda karma. Also, have 3 points so plan to draw it and go regardless. Thanks anyways boys. See you out there.

It seems you may have missed the point. I assume you discovered Rokslide while researching the unit in question. Specifically, you came across a post about the unit and sought intel. We are a community, albeit an online one where we don't know most people here. Someone who simply appears and asks for a handout (note that 'not asking for a honey hole' is a punchline here) is unlikely to receive it. Judging by your join to post time, you came to ask and not give. Individuals who join and actively participate tend to receive assistance.

I've had the pleasure of meeting some outstanding individuals on Rokslide. One guy happened to make a post indicating he works part time near a place I spring bear hunt. The last 3 years, I've checked in with him regarding the snow levels via PM. Another guy I met on here is part of my annual spring bear trip to that area.

Maybe we are being salty. I hope you can see the irony of you showing up and asking for help from someone that showed up 6 years ago and asked for the same help then never came back...

It seems you may have missed the point. I assume you discovered Rokslide while researching the unit in question. Specifically, you came across a post about the unit and sought intel. We are a community, albeit an online one where we don't know most people here. Someone who simply appears and asks for a handout (note that 'not asking for a honey hole' is a punchline here) is unlikely to receive it. Judging by your join to post time, you came to ask and not give. Individuals who join and actively participate tend to receive assistance.

I've had the pleasure of meeting some outstanding individuals on Rokslide. One guy happened to make a post indicating he works part time near a place I spring bear hunt. The last 3 years, I've checked in with him regarding the snow levels via PM. Another guy I met on here is part of my annual spring bear trip to that area.

Maybe we are being salty. I hope you can see the irony of you showing up and asking for help from someone that showed up 6 years ago and asked for the same help then never came back...
Yeah I did show up to look for some advice. And I plan to provide it/pay it forward to those who need it and have a bit more respect than you. How else does one get started? Isn’t that the point of this place? Do I need to tip toe around this site for awhile to appease all you with seniority? If so, I’ll happily go somewhere else. Plenty of options out there.

Just go on about your business protecting your hunting spots that people are gonna stumble upon anyways. Be nice if we could all just get along in this industry.

How else does one get started?
You put in your time here. Make some posts other than just asking where to go. Contribute to threads. Engage other members. Click the like button when you see something you think is good. Make a meme. Get to know who is who. Let others get to know you. Show your in for the long haul. You may pick up some answers to your questions without even having to ask. You'll learn who you can shoot a PM question to without the whole world seeing it.

@Jskaanland was not being disrespectful to you. There is a dozen posts just like yours a week. Like it or not, against policy. Moderators have made it clear that they hope FNG's will continue to post/contribute and stay on. Some do, some don't.

As a matter of fact, I was in the Navy. And killed my first elk in CO back in the mid 80's.

Back