Colorado wolf introduction

Would the feds get in the way of the state on this? What was the process in other states with "reintroduction"? Colorado seems a little different and difficult with the ballot initiative.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
The Feds and tribes forced them on Idaho. Most of Idaho state agencies were dead set against them.I don’t have the link with me right now but I’ll attach it tomorrow. It is a detailed, step by step synopsis of how it went down.

Why do the libs want them?? Cause they are pretty and cute, problem is this vote will come from people that deal with them every once in a while. I will be dealing with them daily, nightly.

Here’s another thought and reason 1) hunters and sportsman biggest push to keep hunting around is for controlling the wildlife population through hunting. With wolves now keeping the elk and deer populations at a minimum there is no need for hunting anymore, libs win the wildlife now isn’t being killed by blood thirsty hunters. But rather destroyed by wolves that are pretty and graceful and amazing. So onto number 2) now with hunting out of the picture we no longer can say we need our guns not only for protection but to feed our families. So then they start banning long range weapons, rifles, AR15, AR10 because those are hunting type rifles and not “needed” for self defense. Then they get those taken they move to not needed any guns for anything and libs win again from the wolves getting hunting out of the picture and then getting guns out of the picture. Wolves for them are a huge jump to getting us completely shut down. Take that to mind, I may be a “conspiracy theorist” but tell me that doesn’t make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with BigAntler, but a lot of these groups are after money. Wolves have been a very good money generator for these green groups. All they have to do is run some commercials showing a couple of wolf pups playing and how we as evil hunters are trying to destroy them. Folks can't open their wallets fast enough. They will never live up to their agreements, they just keep moving the goalposts and filing lawsuits and injunctions.

mtmuley

WKR
The Feds and tribes forced them on Idaho. Most of Idaho state agencies were dead set against them.I don’t have the link with me right now but I’ll attach it tomorrow. It is a detailed, step by step synopsis of how it went down.
Yeah, post that up. Now the Indian Tribes were involved in the re-introduction? Waiting for this. mtmuley

Sled

WKR
do neighboring states get a vote? i sure don't want your wolves coming to this neck of the woods and chewing on my meat.

but seriously, we've upset the balance long ago and anything we do to "fix" it will just make things worse. it's like the story of the elephant and the mouse.

Not true...IDFG supported reintroduction, from the top down:

Attachments

• letterDirector.pdf
    311.3 KB · Views: 9
Not true...IDFG supported reintroduction, from the top down:
Fish and Game Director Jerry Conley submitted the letter to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service expressing support for proposed experimental, nonessential population rules, which would give Idaho more management flexibility than if endangered gray wolves return naturally or are reintroduced in Idaho under the full protection of the Endangered Species Act. The letter says Fish and Game will work with the Fish and Wildlife Service, only to the extent allowed by Idaho law, to reintroduce wolves in Idaho under the experimental population rules.

Senator James McClure's (R-ID) proposed Gray Wolf Restoration Act of 1990 (read twice, died in committee):

SEC. 3. Upon introduction, natural dispersal of the wolves shall be permitted and no effort may be taken to restrict such dispersal: Provided, That the Secretary shall immediately replace any wolves that do not remain within the core zones. Each wolf introduced pursuant to this Act shall be equipped with a radio collar for monitoring purposes. At such time as the Secretary determines that three pairs have established themselves within the core zone in Idaho for a period of three years, the Secretary shall restrict the boundaries of the core zone to coincide with the established territories. SEC. 4. The Secretary is authorized and directed to permit the natural recolonization of gray wolves in the area designated as a `Natural Recovery Area' on the map entitled `Natural Recovery Area--Montana' dated May 22, 1990.

pnash17

FNG
Lets just hope there are a few good people with common sense and will look at Montana and see it's not right for Colorado.

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
Not to be a dick, and not targeting Pnash in anyway, but... let's not hope, let's educate the public! Let's tell them about the 80% reduction of the ungulate population the greater GYE experienced as a result of wolf introduction. Hunters need to mobilize on this issue just like we did when Chaffetz tried to sell off our public lands. We need to get the cattle associations involved, we need to get people to the polls in November to vote against this! You can bet your ass that all the crazy Boulder cat lady's will show up in favor along with the retarded Denverites boasting about the fourteeners they've summited this summer! These people don't realize that hunters pave the way for their play, our dollars fund their trails, parks, and the people that manage them. No more ungulates = less tags = less hunters = less dollars. Fishing licenses aren't going to fund their hobbies!

The people of Estes also think this is a great idea, less elk in their yards, solve all the overpopulation issues in that one locale. They will see more elk in town than ever now, just like Mamoth in Yellowstone. Elk live in town year round because wolves avoid people for the most part.

Get out there people, spread the word. This will permanently change Colorado in a bad way!

On one hand I don't want any more competition on the other wolves do belong. On the fence on this one

I’m an non-resident but have first hand seen the devastation from wolves. In Northern MN, our Whitetails population is extremely low, moose numbers have crashed, our furbearers (Pine Martin, Fisher) have been crushed, there is not much that hasn’t been effected by wolves. Trapping seasons have been shortened to days when they used to be weeks. Furbearer limits are down to combined limits usually no more than two. I quit trapping as the wolves would run my line and eat the fur out of the trap. It is out of control.

The few brave souls that raised cattle have quit, so our small population of vocal farmer/ranchers is about gone. Yet, MN can’t help but try to be the California of the Midwest, claiming climate change is the cause of this downfall in game. The DNR started moose studies and each year they show collared calves and adults animals being preyed on by wolves. We are once a again trying to take a run at getting state control. Not a hunt, or season just management control back to the state. The population has been well above targeted goals from the original endangered species plan, but the goal posts keep moving. Every time a plan comes forward to give the state control, some judge blocks it.

I’m still able to harvest a deer but the number of hours to find one has increased dramatically. The size has gone down and I don’t see many animals (deer or other animals) over the course of the seasons, archery and firearms compared to even 8 years ago. It’s not impossible to hunt, but tough even with changing where and how I hunt. A lot hunters especially older or physically challenged hunters have quit. Out of the wolf habitat area is better, but their range is ever expanding.

Don’t do it Colorado! I can’t imagine what these animals will do in CO. The Kifarucast podcast on reintroduction is spot on. I will do everything a non-res can do to help stop this. I occasionally get the privilege to hunt elk in Colorado and always enjoy seeing the abundance of wildlife. IMO, We have lost that in MN. Once this happens, there really is no way out.

So much misinformation on this topic, every single time.

80% reduction in ungulates? No thanks. As a hunter, I want an artificially high number of game species because compared to a wolf, I basically suck. LOL I mean, lets be honest. Without a target-rich environment, we basically have no chance.

Proper education is key, but it’s already impossible to deter the left that already has their mind made up, and those corporations paying to get the wolves back play on the “conservation” card. Wildearth Guardians is a huge push on this. But they are also introducing non native species, the wolf that was originally in Colorado is extinct. So it is an illegal introduction even by federal standards.

69a5c2dc1702da8474b9cf4478cde504.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is an interesting map. Though that certainly hasn't stopped wildlife agencies from transplanting other animals such as elk and bighorn sheep that may be a different sub species from another state or mountain range.

OleWI21

FNG
I’m an non-resident but have first hand seen the devastation from wolves. In Northern MN, our Whitetails population is extremely low, moose numbers have crashed, our furbearers (Pine Martin, Fisher) have been crushed, there is not much that hasn’t been effected by wolves. Trapping seasons have been shortened to days when they used to be weeks. Furbearer limits are down to combined limits usually no more than two. I quit trapping as the wolves would run my line and eat the fur out of the trap. It is out of control.

The few brave souls that raised cattle have quit, so our small population of vocal farmer/ranchers is about gone. Yet, MN can’t help but try to be the California of the Midwest, claiming climate change is the cause of this downfall in game. The DNR started moose studies and each year they show collared calves and adults animals being preyed on by wolves. We are once a again trying to take a run at getting state control. Not a hunt, or season just management control back to the state. The population has been well above targeted goals from the original endangered species plan, but the goal posts keep moving. Every time a plan comes forward to give the state control, some judge blocks it.

I’m still able to harvest a deer but the number of hours to find one has increased dramatically. The size has gone down and I don’t see many animals (deer or other animals) over the course of the seasons, archery and firearms compared to even 8 years ago. It’s not impossible to hunt, but tough even with changing where and how I hunt. A lot hunters especially older or physically challenged hunters have quit. Out of the wolf habitat area is better, but their range is ever expanding.

Don’t do it Colorado! I can’t imagine what these animals will do in CO. The Kifarucast podcast on reintroduction is spot on. I will do everything a non-res can do to help stop this. I occasionally get the privilege to hunt elk in Colorado and always enjoy seeing the abundance of wildlife. IMO, We have lost that in MN. Once this happens, there really is no way out.

Just my opinions here... I am by no means pro wolf but living in MN and having a family that owns a large farm in WI wolf country I don't agree with these facts. The size of the deer antlers has nothing to do with Wolves, at least I haven't seen any studies on it. My father still talks about the old days when he would see 100 deer a day but you would be hard fought to find anything with a large rack. There were so many deer that the landscape wasn't able to provide enough nutrition in those county forests. In theory, less deer means more feed for what critters are there, which can lead to good antler growth. If you are worked up about low deer numbers then follow up with your state DNR. Or try to push for antler restrictions. A lot of people out there have no problem shooting 1.5 and 2.5 year old deer. I see no problem with that, to each their own. Also, they purposely attempt to keep deer #s low in moose country for a reason. Wolves due hurt the ability of the moose population to rebound because they prey on the calves and I believe they end up taking a large % of them. Lets be honest though, the population was in decline for other reasons. People forget that their were wolves in MN when the Moose population was at its peak.

I hunt in both states, still see plenty of deer and yes you have to actually hunt for them. Too many times I have seen people blame not seeing a deer on wolves when in reality they just don't want to put in any effort to hunt.