Colorado wolves released today

Jbehredt

WKR
šŸ¤®

Every time they say something like this or show cute furry wolf puppies to kids there needs to be a video of wolves tearing into a deer fawn or elk calf.
The moose ones get me. Those cows really put up a fight. Until their calfā€™s guts start to be pulled out.

Can govt satellite cameras see in the dark? I doubt it.

I watched a video of a guy, with a thermal scope, kill a coyote in the pitch black at 400 yards.

Luked

WKR
A couple things I think I can help clear up based on me living in the area, and attending every wolf meeting held since the beginning including the last one held in November to inform us about the final release plan.

1. Cpw did not pull a fast one with their release sight. There have been two reintroduction sights proposed since the early stages of the process. The ā€œsouthernā€ sight in the gunnison area and the ā€œnorthernā€ sight in the grand county area. In the November meeting held in kremmling we were informed that they would focus on the northern sight at first and move to the southern sight in the next few years. It was always said that the actual release date and sight would be confidential to protect not only the wolves but also the cpw staff involved in the release.

2. The release sight from Monday is absolutely in the radium state wildelife area. In the November meeting we were told that the area would be ā€œin grand, routte, and Eagle counties on state or privately owned landā€. From my knowledge of the area and others that I trust I believe it is the sheep horn unit but donā€™t know for sure.

3. This is not cpws fault. A lot of cpw employees didnā€™t want this to happen, some did. But no matter personal opinions they were legally required to perform the will of the voters of the state of Colorado and reintroduce wolves. This is going to be a disaster not only for us ranchers but also for hunters and any outdoor recreationalist in the state. The only way we can have any hope to survive this ordeal is to work WITH cpw not against them.

4. According to cpw all wolves will be fixed with gps collars. These collars will be set to transmit location every few hours and should have enough battery life to transmit for a few years. After the collars die, they will either attempt to re collar them or they will go without a working collar.

5. Cpw will be heavily monitoring for any illicit behavior towards these wolves and will be prosecuting anything to the fullest extent of the law. The only way to legally kill a wolf in Colorado is in the defense of a human or on wolves actively attacking or threatening livestock.
Im not trying to deny or say what you are saying is wrong because i am sure it is. So please dont take it that way.

To me if this was such a "good" thing to intoduce these stupid things...why are they so concerned about the CPW staff that was involved in the release.
That alone tells me they know people are pissed about it.

CorbLand

WKR
Im not trying to deny or say what you are saying is wrong because i am sure it is. So please dont take it that way.

To me if this was such a "good" thing to intoduce these stupid things...why are they so concerned about the CPW staff that was involved in the release.
Anytime a new law is passed, there are people that are happy and people that are pissed. Pissed or not, CPW had to do this. It was voted and passed, they cant just be like, "well someone is mad, so see you next year." It is no secret that people are pissed.

They kept it a secret because people, even in this thread, where it has been mentioned multiple times that CPW was forced to do this, dont understand that. It was protection for their staff...its really not that hard to figure some of this stuff out.

This is why the number one thing that you can do is correct people when they blame CPW for this. CPW didnt do it, they were told they had to do it. You have to blame the people that forced it on CPW.

Last edited:

Sizthediz

WKR
A question to pose would be if neighboring states could sue for loss of animals due to the predators that are released. I would assume these predators will be collared and tracked. I would also assume they will be caught on videos killing animals in neighboring states. Might be something to investigate

TVW

Lil-Rokslider

Same reason that IDF&G did their best to keep the identity of the guy who drew the Grizzly tag a secret.

Plenty of wack jobs out there on both sides of pretty much anything these days.

CorbLand

WKR
A question to pose would be if neighboring states could sue for loss of animals due to the predators that are released. I would assume these predators will be collared and tracked. I would also assume they will be caught on videos killing animals in neighboring states. Might be something to investigate
Would doubt it.

Someone educate me though. These wolves are only protected in the state of Colorado, right?

CorbLand

WKR
Same reason that IDF&G did their best to keep the identity of the guy who drew the Grizzly tag a secret.

Plenty of wack jobs out there on both sides of pretty much anything these days.
I remember when the guy killed the first one and the shit storm he dealt with.

CorbLand

WKR
California has wolves on the endangered species list. Yes Ca has wolves.
Yes, but they are only protected in CA, right?

Idaho, Montana and Wyoming was done by the Feds but this one was only done at a State level. Based on that, I would ASSUME that they are only protected in Colorado. This would lead me to think that if a wolf ventured into Utah, you could just shoot it. If it killed your livestock in Utah and you tried to sue Colorado...Colorado would say it crossed state lines and is not our animal anymore.

Edit to add after correction in comment below and further research. Grey wolves are protected in the state of Utah, minus a part in northern (which is the best part of utah anyways).

Last edited:
de045d98c1e6dc75200d881ed40dc423.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, but they are only protected in CA, right?

Idaho, Montana and Wyoming was done by the Feds but this one was only done at a State level. Based on that, I would ASSUME that they are only protected in Colorado. This would lead me to think that if a wolf ventured into Utah, you could just shoot it. If it killed your livestock in Utah and you tried to sue Colorado...Colorado would say it crossed state lines and is not our animal anymore.
No the grey wolf is a protected species under the endangered species act. Killing a wolf outside of the states Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana is a federal offense with a felony charge unless it is proven that it was done in defense of human life. The only reason for the exception states is the 10J waiver to the ESA that gives the state management rights to a species. As far as these wolves in Colorado crossing borders, the reason for the areas chosen was that they needed to be 60 miles from any state border. If the wolves go into Wyoming I would assume they would be treated as any other wolf in Wyoming. If they travel into a non 10j state then they will have federal protection just like north park has been dealing with for the last few years.

CorbLand

WKR
No the grey wolf is a protected species under the endangered species act. Killing a wolf outside of the states Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana is a federal offense with a felony charge unless it is proven that it was done in defense of human life. The only reason for the exception states is the 10J waiver to the ESA that gives the state management rights to a species. As far as these wolves in Colorado crossing borders, the reason for the areas chosen was that they needed to be 60 miles from any state border. If the wolves go into Wyoming I would assume they would be treated as any other wolf in Wyoming. If they travel into a non 10j state then they will have federal protection just like north park has been dealing with for the last few years.
Thank you.

go_deep

WKR
Question. All these wolves were taken from different packs, how possible is it they don't get along and don't establish a pack? Or even don't get along and kill each other?

KurtR

WKR
I know we can kill then in South Dakota. They are treated like coyotes. Always a few killed every year that wonder over from Minnesota