Colorado wolves released today

Overdrive

WKR
Did you see anything about how many they're trying to get to release? 10 plus the ones naturally here seems like a suitable amount to start off with since they are forced to do so. Gives everyone and everything time to adapt before the population exponentially shoots past objectives as lawsuits move the delisting goal posts.
The original number I saw was 50 to be released over a 3-5 year period.

The biggest issue we'll have in Colorado is that we will never be a Red state again so any delisting efforts will be rejected.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
They want 50 in the first year, if that is 3-5 packs, each pack has 2-10 more like 4-6 pups a year. Wolves live about 10 years… do the math. Seems like there will be hundreds of wolves in short order. Also read prop 114 they will never be delisted. It was in the the bill. No one read it.
I didn't see 50 in the first year, I saw 50 as the first check point of progression. Could you point me to the 50 in the first year stuff?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Not saying they won't move the goal posts (they will) but this is what was on the CPW site. I didn't see anything about needing to actually drop 50 wolves on the ground specifically.

"Wolves will be managed within Colorado using a phased approach based on the minimum number of animals known to be present in the state. These phases will correspond with the status of the species on the Colorado Threatened and Endangered Species list. There is no wolf population objective in the final management and restoration plan.

Currently, wolves are State Endangered. Wolves will be downlisted from State Endangered (Phase 1) to State Threatened (Phase 2) when CPW biologists document a minimum wintertime count of 50 wolves anywhere in the state for four successive years. Wolves will be delisted from the State Threatened and Endangered species list and classified as delisted, nongame (Phase 3) when a minimum count of at least 150 wolves anywhere in Colorado is observed for 2 successive years, or a minimum count of at least 200 wolves anywhere in Colorado is observed, with no temporal requirement.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has designated the wolf population in Colorado as “Experimental” which relaxes take prohibitions. As a federally listed species, there is a strict prohibition against regulated hunting and other forms of take."

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Hnthrdr

WKR
Come on guys I've been assured in other threads that they will be delisted and managed when goals are met.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk
Right? Where are all the BHA bros to tell us how great this is for “conservation”? Oh here is the plan on the cow website… once they meet objective they will become non game species… if they decide there is a “problem” wolf or the ungulates are falling below sustainable numbers, guess who will kill them for us… cpw or feds, on our dime. But yeah I’m the asshole for reading the plan and not believing the politicians

Attachments

• IMG_0175.png
    IMG_0175.png
    664.6 KB · Views: 82

Overdrive

WKR
Not saying they won't move the goal posts (they will) but this is what was on the CPW site. I didn't see anything about needing to actually drop 50 wolves on the ground specifically.

"Wolves will be managed within Colorado using a phased approach based on the minimum number of animals known to be present in the state. These phases will correspond with the status of the species on the Colorado Threatened and Endangered Species list. There is no wolf population objective in the final management and restoration plan.

Currently, wolves are State Endangered. Wolves will be downlisted from State Endangered (Phase 1) to State Threatened (Phase 2) when CPW biologists document a minimum wintertime count of 50 wolves anywhere in the state for four successive years. Wolves will be delisted from the State Threatened and Endangered species list and classified as delisted, nongame (Phase 3) when a minimum count of at least 150 wolves anywhere in Colorado is observed for 2 successive years, or a minimum count of at least 200 wolves anywhere in Colorado is observed, with no temporal requirement.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has designated the wolf population in Colorado as “Experimental” which relaxes take prohibitions. As a federally listed species, there is a strict prohibition against regulated hunting and other forms of take."

Chapter 3 talks about the 50 wolves to be reintroduced over the 3-5 year period. The information is out there for people to read, not saying you're not looking and finding it. I've just heard so much hearsay from people that it makes it a misinformation highway and makes the hunting community look very ignorant on the issue.

Hnthrdr

WKR
What do you see in the final text of initiative 107 that states that? Seems like section (3)(a)(IV) establishes a means to delist. Now I'm not saying the goal posts won't move but I don't see anything supporting your statement?
It is in the plan put out by CPW, once recovered they will become non game. It’s on the website. In phase 3, there was supposed to be a phase 4 ( management by hunting) that was cut from the plan and any wolves that are deemed problem, by the state, not by citizens or ranchers who are dealing with them, will be killed for us by our overlords

They'll start creeping on the front range and takig pets eventually. However, scaring the unnarmed granolas on the walking trails or attacking some backcountry skiing bros on or off resorts won't change people's minds that voted for this. Ya'll in CO need to learn to "share the land" with the wolves now. LOL!

Jmort1754

WKR
What was the release video ? Why not when you're hunting and see them just shoot or do they all have collars ?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It is in the plan put out by CPW, once recovered they will become non game. It’s on the website. In phase 3, there was supposed to be a phase 4 ( management by hunting) that was cut from the plan and any wolves that are deemed problem, by the state, not by citizens or ranchers who are dealing with them, will be killed for us by our overlords
Thanks. I thought you meant the one that was voted in the ballot initiative.

Hnthrdr

WKR
They'll start creeping on the front range and takig pets eventually. However, scaring the unnarmed granolas on the walking trails or attacking some backcountry skiing bros on or off resorts won't change people's minds that voted for this. Ya'll in CO need to learn to "share the land" with the wolves now. LOL!
A lion killed like 20+ dogs in a matter of a couple months last year, year dude smoked him while walking his dog and people were still angry at the guy. People have no freaking clue and are looneys here now…

A lion killed like 20+ dogs in a matter of a couple months last year, year dude smoked him while walking his dog and people were still angry at the guy. People have no freaking clue and are looneys here now…
EXACTLY my point. Until it happens to their doodle (admittedly we own 2) or mini burmese mountain dog, they'll just say its part of living in CO.

Probably more trouble than if you killed a human being
The guides I hunted with in the Bob said the same thing about Grizz in MT. Nothing makes the front page faster than a poor cuddly grizz getting shot and killed by a hunter or hiker in self defense. Articles alwasy slanted in favor of the grizz and lamenting it's loss. A couple pages later there might be a truly tragic story of human lives lost.