Condensation issues in Mid/tipi type tents DCF vs SilNylon

sierraj

FNG
I am looking to get a mid type tent such as the HMG Ultamid 4 or the Mountain Laurel Designs Supermid. I was leaning toward a DCF mid, but their availability is scant.

Anyone with experience with larger mid tents made of silnylon and dealing with condensation?

I currently use a Stephenson's Warmlite 3R tent and the single wall ends become saturated when conditions are right. I can imagine a silnylon mid can be a challenge if the entire tent has condensation. Is it easy enough to deal with? Does an inner net help at all?

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Golite SL5 and a SO Redcliff Light. I have the nest for the SL5, but nothing for the Redcliff (bought the liners more recently, but haven't used them yet). Both of these 'mids are silnylon and have vents at the peak.

Very simply, interior condensation is a problem if the bottom hem of the tent is flush to the ground. If you pitch with a gap, you don't get condensation.

Sealing the tent to the ground helps trap heat inside the tent if it's cold out, at the expense of condensation. Of course it's very easy to seal it with snow.

However, pitching with a gap allows ground drafts to blow through the tent at night. A bathtub floor takes care of that. Some nests have bathtub floors, but some don't. A few tents have a dedicated bathtub floor (without the mesh net upper) that clips into the tent canopy. A worthwhile feature, if available. Otherwise, strategically laying out packs and gear along the windward side can help if you're floorless.

If it's windy enough and you've sealed the tent hem to the ground, the wind will snap the tent walls and "rain" that condensation onto everything inside the tent. It's miserable but not common, and takes a lot of wind, temps around freezing, and high humidity.

Traditional Sioux tipis are pitched with a gap between the outer canopy and the ground, but with the liner sealed tight to the ground. The liner hangs from the inside of the poles, while the canopy rests on the outside. The poles create a gap between, and the airflow is excellent without drafts felt by the occupants. Trying to duplicate that type of set-up as much as possible should be the goal with modern 'mids and tipis.

I have read that the DCF tents have less issue with condensation but I can’t explain it.

I can’t explain it either, but they do. I’ve owned both sil and DCF mids, but got rid of all my sil because I just feel that DCF is superior in several ways, dealing with condensation being one of them. To the OP, that HMG Ultamid 4 is my favorite larger mid/shelter, but I’ve also owned a MLD’s DCF mid and it was very nice/well built as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

big44a4

WKR
I have no issues with my 9x9x7 silnylon tipi I made myself and it doesn’t even have a vent. Obviously don’t pitch over wet grass etc, but setup 1-2” gap from ground to bottom and no issues.

Seeknelk

WKR
I have a Golite SL5 and a SO Redcliff Light. I have the nest for the SL5, but nothing for the Redcliff (bought the liners more recently, but haven't used them yet). Both of these 'mids are silnylon and have vents at the peak.

Very simply, interior condensation is a problem if the bottom hem of the tent is flush to the ground. If you pitch with a gap, you don't get condensation.

Sealing the tent to the ground helps trap heat inside the tent if it's cold out, at the expense of condensation. Of course it's very easy to seal it with snow.

However, pitching with a gap allows ground drafts to blow through the tent at night. A bathtub floor takes care of that. Some nests have bathtub floors, but some don't. A few tents have a dedicated bathtub floor (without the mesh net upper) that clips into the tent canopy. A worthwhile feature, if available. Otherwise, strategically laying out packs and gear along the windward side can help if you're floorless.

If it's windy enough and you've sealed the tent hem to the ground, the wind will snap the tent walls and "rain" that condensation onto everything inside the tent. It's miserable but not common, and takes a lot of wind, temps around freezing, and high humidity.

Traditional Sioux tipis are pitched with a gap between the outer canopy and the ground, but with the liner sealed tight to the ground. The liner hangs from the inside of the poles, while the canopy rests on the outside. The poles create a gap between, and the airflow is excellent without drafts felt by the occupants. Trying to duplicate that type of set-up as much as possible should be the goal with modern 'mids and tipis.
Isn't the SO Redcliff Light version made of DCF instead of silinylon? Or which am I thinking of?