Stratospire li vs Mid's

tdot

WKR
I'm looking for an ultralight tent for sheep hunts. I want something that can stand up to unexpected sbow storms, lots of rain and wind and just generally unpredictable mountain conditions.

Easy setup and the versatility/adaptability to handle uneven terrain and the rocks that are in the way of ideal peg locations, etc. are critical attributes that I'm looking for.

Smaller footprint and the ability to sleep a 2nd person, if required, with limited gear room are also desired, but not a requirement.

I've been using floorless shelters for a number of years, so I'm comfortable with them.

I briefly thought about going back to something like a Hilleberg, but can't justify the weight.

Right now I'm considering the Stratospire Li and a DCF mid, such as the Locus Gear Hapi ( maybe Grande), MLD Duomid or the HMG Ultamid 2.

Stratospire li seems ideal, except for the number of pegs that are required, and I'm concerned about being able to get a strong/fast pitch in a poor location. Also CS hasnt gotten back to several emails that I've sent, so that doesn't sit well with me. Tents are supposedly in stock, which is a bonus, as I could use it for a September hunt.

LG Hapi is currently leading the mids, in my mind. I like the low height for several reasons, but I am a touch concerned about the livability of such a short mid. CS has been awesome, but tent is 6 weeks away. I'm 6'0", should I consider a Grande or is the regular long enough.

Duomid is 10-12 weeks away currently, the best price, but that lead time puts them out of the running, unless there is a compelling reason to wait.

Ultamid 2 is the heaviest and largest of the mids, which doesn't seem ideal. I also have an Ultamid 4 and would prefer to try something different. But that's not a deal breaker and their 2 week lead time is tempting. CS is awesome.

Are there any tents that I'm missing? Something that is ultralight, ultrastrong ans easy to setup?

Anyone have any real worls experience setting up the Stratospire Li in poor locations or during a storm? Thoughts vs a mid?

PlanoDano

FNG
I have Stratospire in SIL and several mids. I do not have experience with the Hapi. Mids are easier to setup and easier to make allowance for footprint. Stratospire has some advantage winter hunting with more vertical walls creating more volume when taking off or putting on boots and drying gear. I have not been in heavy snow with either. Both handle plenty of wind when fully staked out. I have not been in enough wind to see either fail. If I was guessing it would be that mid would take a little more wind and SS would take a little more snow. I don't need another tent or tarp but am considering adding a patrol tarp. Good luck with whichever you choose.

I've had a DCF Hapi for about 4 years now and it has proven to be a very reliable shelter in some pretty inclement weather, although I've never had it in any heavy snow storms. I've had quite a few DCF mids over the last 6-7 years, but I currently only own two, the Hapi and a Ultamid 4. From my overall experience I think the mid design is pretty hard to beat, if that is possible, and so far I haven't found a design that I prefer over the mid. That said, I'm always looking for something that might be better and I just recently bought a DCF Silex (haven't received it yet). A few of Tarptent's offerings look pretty interesting but I don't have any experience with them, and now that they are being built overseas (China I think), I really have no interest in getting one. I'll try and dig up some pictures off my phone of the real word size of the Hapi, so you can get a better idea as to how you'd fit, but I don't think you'd have a problem at 6'.

With two regular size bivy’s and still room enough for a little gear.
7e6e39d36e1f77bdebdcae41875ed6cf.jpg

Actual width.
53e1a35f61036d95578c6d3f0fe0f648.jpg

Actual length.
c3a9d9474afbb37e204797c2ec91bf27.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

tdot

WKR
I've had a DCF Hapi for about 4 years now and it has proven to be a very reliable shelter in some pretty inclement weather, although I've never had it in any heavy snow storms. I've had quite a few DCF mids over the last 6-7 years, but I currently only own two, the Hapi and a Ultamid 4. From my overall experience I think the mid design is pretty hard to beat, if that is possible, and so far I haven't found a design that I prefer over the mid. That said, I'm always looking for something that might be better and I just recently bought a DCF Silex (haven't received it yet). A few of Tarptent's offerings look pretty interesting but I don't have any experience with them, and now that they are being built overseas (China I think), I really have no interest in getting one. I'll try and dig up some pictures off my phone of the real word size of the Hapi, so you can get a better idea as to how you'd fit, but I don't think you'd have a problem at 6'.

Good to know about Tarptent. I didn't know they'd moved production overseas. Their CS has also been poor, I wont be buying from them.

On reading thru some old posts on different Mids, you replaced an Ultamid 2 with the Ultamid 4. Do you ever regret not keeping the Ultamid 2 vs. buying the Hapi?

Thanks for pics re: the Hapi.

CO-AJ

WKR
Look at Seek Outside. I did the DCF Cimarron with a LBO nest and I am shopping stoves right now. I looked at all of them HMG, Kifaru, MLD, Tarptent. The SO is absolutely flawless with straight seams, smooth zippers, and no weight for a huge tent. It is a tipi style without floor and if you go DCF they aren't cheap, but I have nothing but great things to say about the people, service, and product from SO.

On reading thru some old posts on different Mids, you replaced an Ultamid 2 with the Ultamid 4. Do you ever regret not keeping the Ultamid 2 vs. buying the Hapi?

I think that HMG produces some of the best DCF shelters available. That’s not to say that other manufacturers (SO, MLD, LG, etc.), don’t do a good job, I just feel that there isn’t a higher quality built shelter than HMG. I’ve owned, and still own, a few SO and MLD shelters, and they are 100% built top notch. Their customer service is also top notch, so I feel like you couldn’t go wrong with them as well, it’s just a matter of finding what works best for your needs.

Regarding your question about switching out the Ultamid 2 for the Hapi, I have no regrets whatsoever. I really liked the U2, but it didn’t fit in my quiver. What I mean by that is, I wanted the lightest wt. solo shelter, that could also be used as a two person shelter (and not be totally cramped), and I wanted a much larger shelter that could be used for 2 people, all their gear, and still have a little room to spread out (the U4). The U2 just seemed to fall in between those two. The U2 is a great shelter, it just didn’t fit my needs. If you’re looking for a large, ultra light wt., solo shelter, that can be used for two without feeling super cramped, I think the Hapi is a solid choice. I also think that you’ll have a tough time beating the wt. for the size that it is.
edffbf84b5565abd7e498b0f337ac552.jpg

I love my stratospire 2. I also have a dcf duomid for AK or other hunts with potential for serious wind. The duomid with a dcf solomid inner weighs almost as much as a stratospire li. I think the Li would be more comfortable but I doubt it would be as good in high winds which is why I don’t have one.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Good to know about Tarptent. I didn't know they'd moved production overseas. Their CS has also been poor, I wont be buying from them.

Until Covid hit I had never had an issue with TarpTents CS. They're all working from home now. Their DCF and SS tents are the ones being made overseas. The rest are still made here, well, once WA gets its head out of its ass and lets companies get back to work. I've let them know that since they moved DCF production to China that that takes them off the table for consideration.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
T

tdot

WKR
Thanks again for all that info. I have been leaning toward the Hapi for awhile and your comments have helped confirm it's the right decision. I have the Ultamid 4 for 2+ people when I want space, so this really will be primarily a solo or occasional 2 person shelter. I just sold a DCF Silex as it didn't work for me in the Alpine and while spacious, I wanted something that could sleep a 2nd person if required.

When I try to picture using this as a solo shelter. I keep coming back to placing the door on the long side, like the Khufu. LG has confirmed they will make a Hapi sized shelter with the door in the Khufu orientation. Given that you've used solo shelters with doors in both orientations, what is your preference? (Only for solo use, it'll be rare that a 2nd person is with me)

I think that HMG produces some of the best DCF shelters available. That’s not to say that other manufacturers (SO, MLD, LG, etc.), don’t do a good job, I just feel that there isn’t a higher quality built shelter than HMG. I’ve owned, and still own, a few SO and MLD shelters, and they are 100% built top notch. Their customer service is also top notch, so I feel like you couldn’t go wrong with them as well, it’s just a matter of finding what works best for your needs.

Regarding your question about switching out the Ultamid 2 for the Hapi, I have no regrets whatsoever. I really liked the U2, but it didn’t fit in my quiver. What I mean by that is, I wanted the lightest wt. solo shelter, that could also be used as a two person shelter (and not be totally cramped), and I wanted a much larger shelter that could be used for 2 people, all their gear, and still have a little room to spread out (the U4). The U2 just seemed to fall in between those two. The U2 is a great shelter, it just didn’t fit my needs. If you’re looking for a large, ultra light wt., solo shelter, that can be used for two without feeling super cramped, I think the Hapi is a solid choice. I also think that you’ll have a tough time beating the wt. for the size that it is.
edffbf84b5565abd7e498b0f337ac552.jpg

Thanks again for all that info. I have been leaning toward the Hapi for awhile and your comments have helped confirm it's the right decision. I have the Ultamid 4 for 2+ people when I want space, so this really will be primarily a solo or occasional 2 person shelter. I just sold a DCF Silex as it didn't work for me in the Alpine and while spacious, I wanted something that could sleep a 2nd person if required.

When I try to picture using this as a solo shelter. I keep coming back to placing the door on the long side, like the Khufu. LG has confirmed they will make a Hapi sized shelter with the door in the Khufu orientation. Given that you've used solo shelters with doors in both orientations, what is your preference? (Only for solo use, it'll be rare that a 2nd person is with me)

My reasoning for picking the Hapi over the Khufu was for the door orientation and the ability to enter/exit without having to step over the other person, when used with another person. Also, as far back as I can remember, even when solo camping and using traditional tents, I always set them up so that when I come into the tent/shelter, I'm at the foot of my bed. If that area gets a little trashed with coming and going, it's getting trashed in the best possible part of the shelter/tent, where my feet are when I'm lying in bed. Another thing you might want to consider regarding the Khufu door orientation on the bigger Hapi shelter is, if you want to pitch it with two poles in the A-frame configuration, it might get a little tricky since your pole jacks/extenders will have to be significantly longer, to account for the greater angle and larger span. This may or may not be an issue, but definitely something to consider if you're ever thinking about pitching it that way.

I'd be curious to hear some of your thoughts/opinions on the Silex you had. Like I said earlier, I just purchased one and my plan is to mainly use it above tree line sheep and goat hunting, so any experiences with that shelter, in that type of environment, especially if you experienced any serious weather while using it, I'd love to hear about.

OP
T

tdot

WKR
I'm actually trying to sort out the issue of poles, pole jacks and dedicated center poles right now, with Josh at Ruta Lucora, it's currently my last issue to be solved before I commit to the Hapi Grande sized shelter. Yuki at LG was pretty adamant that at 6' tall that I should upsize to the Grande size, and the interweb seems to be split 50/50. 6' tall seems to be the break between the Hapi and Hapi Grande. I'd rather error on the side of slightly too large vs slightly too small. But short poles was definitely one of the original appeals of the Hapi.

Now that you mention previous tents, save for a 4 season Sierra Designs Omega from a decade ago, they've all been some form of side loader. Thats probably why the Khufu makes more sense in my head. I'll have to think on that.

As for the Silex, it was a great tent, in the right conditions and location, IMO. Below treeline and out of the wind, it was excellent, fast to setup to a 75% to 90% perfect pitch and stupid light. If you look at pictures of the Silex, you'll often see wrinkles and less then ideal pitches, this is what I mean by a 75-90% pitch. It is also easier to have the edges several inches off the ground, in the conditions and temps I was in, I was trying to keep the edges tight to the ground.

The following is going to sound negative, I don't mean to knock it, but it's simply some limitations that I found with it, this 100% relates when windy and shitty conditions are expected, when a 95% or better pitch is needed to deal with the conditions. Ie, virtually zero wrinkles, tight edges and a tight ridgeline. In exposed Alpine environments with less then ideal pitching locations, rocks at the stake points, uneven ground, etc, everything seemed to significantly slow the pitching process. Due to the ridgity of the DCF, the setup has to be close to perfect, or somewhere there will be a loose side/face. There is alot of geometry that has to be correct for everything to work well and only a few points in which to make necessary corrections. Each edge of the tent is roughly 7' and that is a long edge to be unsupported without an intermediate tieout. I found I was having to use the tieouts even on the door side, so I was forced to tighten those tieouts from the inside, once the door was closed.

Now with all that said, each night I used it on my sheep hunt I was in winds that were forecasted to be in the 40-50MPH range, however I was able to find protection and I'd estimate the winds at the tent were sustained at 20-25MPH and normal gusts to 35MPH with one night of 45+ gusts for a couple hours. I sail, kitesurf and kiteski, so I regularly have an anemometer with me and I'm familiar with judging wind speeds. I'm also likely more picky then many people to a poor pitch, due to the amount of time I spend tweaking sails. Every night I stayed dry, even in significant wind blown rain, the shelter held up well and I was able to sleep with a quiet tent. It just took too long to setup and was too unforgiving to errors for what I'm after. When I'm tired and a storm is approaching, I want a setup that is quick and bomber.

Now with all that said, it is still a 12oz tent that when pitched properly was standing up to some pretty decent gusts, it is also huge inside and the space is very useable.

My reasoning for picking the Hapi over the Khufu was for the door orientation and the ability to enter/exit without having to step over the other person, when used with another person. Also, as far back as I can remember, even when solo camping and using traditional tents, I always set them up so that when I come into the tent/shelter, I'm at the foot of my bed. If that area gets a little trashed with coming and going, it's getting trashed in the best possible part of the shelter/tent, where my feet are when I'm lying in bed. Another thing you might want to consider regarding the Khufu door orientation on the bigger Hapi shelter is, if you want to pitch it with two poles in the A-frame configuration, it might get a little tricky since your pole jacks/extenders will have to be significantly longer, to account for the greater angle and larger span. This may or may not be an issue, but definitely something to consider if you're ever thinking about pitching it that way.

I'd be curious to hear some of your thoughts/opinions on the Silex you had. Like I said earlier, I just purchased one and my plan is to mainly use it above tree line sheep and goat hunting, so any experiences with that shelter, in that type of environment, especially if you experienced any serious weather while using it, I'd love to hear about.

Makes sense, and I totally agree with getting something that might be a little big, rather than a little small. I’m sure the difference in wt. is pretty insignificant.
Regarding ease of pitch, and I’m sure you already know this, but I think it’s probably impossible to find a shelter that’s easier to pitch then a mid.

OP
T

tdot

WKR
Ordered a Locus Gear custom mid. Its the size of a Hapi Grande, but with the zipper on the long side like the Khufu. It should be awesome!