Consistently Inconsistent groups

Wrench

WKR
Typically when rifles that have even remotely decent barrels shoot 3+ moa it is due to major mechanical issues or optics. Rugers do have a specific method of tightening the action because frankly, they're weak. The actions are able to bend and flex.

On any other rifle I would suggest ensuring the action and scope base screws do not touch the barrel or bolt. On your ruger I would suggest getting the lug screw as tight as you can without goobering it, then snug the others and back off till they are just 15ish inch pounds.

I would pull the scope and mount a 1" bar on one ring just shy of the other and see how close it is. Sometimes ruger rings need to be moved around to eliminate extreme bind.

All of this assumes that you're starting with a decently clean barrel that doesn't have a nasty carbon ring.

Every 6" gun I've worked on was optics or barrels missing the first half of the rifling from erosion.

OP
KsRancher

KsRancher

WKR
Shot 5 rds this evening. I undone the action screws and tightened up again. This time I shot 168gr FGMM.

Attachments

• 20210223_183218.jpg
    20210223_183218.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 20
Shot 5 rds this evening. I undone the action screws and tightened up again. This time I shot 168gr FGMM.
Have you specifically cleaned the barrel for copper fouling?

Had a rifle that would shoot Accubonds into dime-sized groups at 200 yards. Quickly noticed that it'd turn into a shotgun pattern soon there after. After much frustration finally figured out that this rifle was extremely sensitive to copper fouling. Regular cleaning wasn't doing it but once I used copper solvent, the groups instantly shrunk. Got into the habit of cleaning that rifle every 10 rounds. This was fine as it was for hunting. And if I need more than 10 shots, then I have bigger issues.

If that is not it, I concur with others: cut your losses and move on.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Have you specifically cleaned the barrel for copper fouling?

Had a rifle that would shoot Accubonds into dime-sized groups at 200 yards. Quickly noticed that it'd turn into a shotgun pattern soon there after. After much frustration finally figured out that this rifle was extremely sensitive to copper fouling. Regular cleaning wasn't doing it but once I used copper solvent, the groups instantly shrunk. Got into the habit of cleaning that rifle every 10 rounds. This was fine as it was for hunting. And if I need more than 10 shots, then I have bigger issues.

If that is not it, I concur with others: cut your losses and move on.
A rifle that bad would likely benefit from some lapping.

Stefan

Lil-Rokslider
I would sell it (and I am not a guy that sells firearms). Or call Ruger and ask them why this rifle sucks.