Convince me to spend more $ on a scope

DunnCoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I recently picked up a used T3X in .30-06 and it came with a Leopold pic rail. I really like Maven optics a lot and was looking at the RS.1 or RS.2 but I’m having trouble justifying spending $1000 or even $600 on a scope when I see plenty of cheaper options like the Burris FF that seem to get the job done just fine for people. Don’t plan on dialing or shooting past 400. Talk me into spending more money

TN2shot07

WKR
It really depends on your use, I love my rs2.

I wouldn’t even consider an rs1 for a set it and forget it scope, wasted features and money.

JFK

WKR
A scope is one of the things that can make or break a hunt. It’s literally the thing that allows you to hit what you are aiming at. Reliability greatly lessens the chances of wounding or missing an animal.

A reliable optic that does what you want it to do also makes shooting a hell of a lot more fun. You spend time doing constructive stuff at the range versus checking zero, trouble shooting.

In your budget and what you described I’d take a look at the nightforce shv 3-10.

KenLee

WKR
If you want to go cheap, get the FF IV w illumination at Scopelist. If you want trusted and proven, get a 2.5-10x56 Trijicon Accupoint for around $700 in hand, maybe find it cheaper.

Motown

WKR
I recently picked up a used T3X in .30-06 and it came with a Leopold pic rail. I really like Maven optics a lot and was looking at the RS.1 or RS.2 but I’m having trouble justifying spending $1000 or even $600 on a scope when I see plenty of cheaper options like the Burris FF that seem to get the job done just fine for people. Don’t plan on dialing or shooting past 400. Talk me into spending more money
I am in the same situation as you. I hunt in PA and our shots here on the farm we hunt are a max of 300 yards, but most as within 200.

My son and I both have quite a few rifles including Tikka’s and some Christensen Mesa’s and most of them wear 3-9 FF 2’s and they have served us well over the years with no failures at all. They hold zero from year to year and have continued to do so despite some falls and being bumped around from time to time. We are not hard on rifles and I always make sure that every rifle we own has a solid set of bases and rings and they are all mounted correctly.

The FF2’s are a great hunting scope and fits a majority of our needs but in the last 10 minutes or so of light they can lack a bit in clarity. I was thinking about trying a 3-9 Trijicon Accupoint this year because I like the 1” tube and the fact they are still lightweight and they seem to have a good reputation. The tritium lit reticle is also a big selling point for me as well if they work well within legal shooting light.

KenLee

WKR
I am in the same situation as you. I hunt in PA and our shots here on the farm we hunt are a max of 300 yards, but most as within 200.

My son and I both have quite a few rifles including Tikka’s and some Christensen Mesa’s and most of them wear 3-9 FF 2’s and they have served us well over the years with no failures at all. They hold zero from year to year and have continued to do so despite some falls and being bumped around from time to time. We are not hard on rifles and I always make sure that every rifle we own has a solid set of bases and rings and they are all mounted correctly.

The FF2’s are a great hunting scope and fits a majority of our needs but in the last 10 minutes or so of light they can lack a bit in clarity. I was thinking about trying a 3-9 Trijicon Accupoint this year because I like the 1” tube and the fact they are still lightweight and they seem to have a good reputation. The tritium lit reticle is also a big selling point for me as well if they work well within legal shooting light.
If low light hunting is a priority and you like the Accupoint, suck up the extra 7 ounces and $50 to buy a 2.5-10x56 that gets you some extra minutes. I'd bet you never regret it.

I have a brother who has a savage axis with a no name scope. He has been very successful hunting, but he always has had minor problems with it. I’ve been trying to convince him to upgrade but he is in the same predicament, as he can’t justify spending the money when he is already successful. I think if you are struggling this much to decide, you probably do want the RS. 2 and should pull the trigger if you have the money.

KenLee

WKR
Buy a swfa fixed 10x off ebay for $250.
Solid scope, but I'd never hunt with one. I have one that I use to "proof" new to me rifles with. They suck in low light and when trying to pick up moving game close in. I use mine to decide how a new rifle shoots and whether it is worthy of keeping and whether it deserves a decent hunting scope or a good hunting scope. Neither of which the 10x is to me.

OP
DunnCoHunter

DunnCoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have a brother who has a savage axis with a no name scope. He has been very successful hunting, but he always has had minor problems with it. I’ve been trying to convince him to upgrade but he is in the same predicament, as he can’t justify spending the money when he is already successful. I think if you are struggling this much to decide, you probably do want the RS. 2 and should pull the trigger if you have the money.
Your brother sounds like a cool guy Woods Sleeper

Last edited:

Kurts86

WKR
Because you are likely spending thousands of dollars a year on hunting, out of state trips, preference points, maybe access or habitat improvements, gas, etc and rifle scopes are a well documented failure point. Why cut corners on a scope that risks that money, time and effort? A $1,000 scope is going to have a useful life of a decade or more, it will save wasted ammo, range time that could be used for training or otherwise. It also might save a backcountry hunt when a lesser scope might have otherwise failed.

Being able to understand things that cost a lot of money but provide great value is what we are talking about here.

The argument that someone is a successful hunter in spite of using a cheap scope isn’t really a fair comparison. In 90% of the US being a well connected, socially charismatic, rural based person in the agricultural, real estate or forestry fields will gain you access to low pressure animals that can be shot at close range.

KenLee

WKR
My older brother has plenty of $, but is the ultimate cheap ass. For the last 25 years, up until 2 seasons ago, he hunted with the Remington 7400 in 270 with now 32 yr old Nikon 3-9x40 that I bought for my second ex-wife to hunt with. He has health issues and was having problems climbing the ladder stand I put up on the far woodline 75 yards off the food plot I plant in his lower field and walking the 200ish yards back uphill to his yard. 3 seasons ago, I put a boxstand 20 yards off his side yard looking downhill the 160-225 yards down onto the whitetail food plot. He doesn't shoot does and complained that the bigger bucks usually came out when it was too late to see to shoot. We get an hour after sunset.
I bought another x-bolt 300wsm and mounted a 2.5-10x56mm Accupoint amber dot TR22-1 on it, sighted it in and carried it to him. Now he's a terror on them old fatties.
His remark about the Accupoint was "game changer!".
I killed dozens of whitetails with a Glenfield model 60 22lr wearing a 4x Tasco, graduated to a well used Remington 742 wearing a 3-9x32 Armsport when I was 11. Washed alot of cars, trimmed shrubs, painted peoples' house fascia and cut alot of grass to pay $290 for that rig. Killed 97 deer with it till I bought a 270 a-bolt with 3-9x40 Nikon that was same model as the one my brother was using on the 7400. My point is that you can kill plenty of game with cheap or old scopes, but a good scope is a game changer. I didn't own a good modern scope until 7 years ago. Now I have Swaro, Zeiss, Trijicons and Leicas. Still use my old a-bolts with Nikons for midday hunts and stalks, because I love the rifles and can't bring myself to pull scopes off that have held zero for over 30 years. Also use an x-bolt 223 with Burris Fullfield iv 3-12x56 that is a dang good scope so far for $300 in hand. Looking back, I wish I had bought a couple nice scopes 20 years ago when I could have afforded them. Maybe I wouldn't have dozens of rifles with blah scopes just collecting dust.
I'd rather my lady friend kill a good buck than me and her 6.5 Creedmoor wears a 2.5-10x56 Accupoint also.

Dented

WKR
Simply put, if you're hunting the start of shooting time or the very end, you can't shoot what you can't see. It's not about holding zero, cheap scopes do that. It's about light transmission. You need better glass and better coatings to achieve that. And that's what the better scopes should be providing.

peaches

Lil-Rokslider
I can't.

FF with holder overs will do it. 3-9 Accupoint will have better glass and IMHO the green mil dot reticle is the best pure hunting reticle made (non dialing).

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Simply put, if you're hunting the start of shooting time or the very end, you can't shoot what you can't see. It's not about holding zero, cheap scopes do that.

Which scopes hold zero? Especially ”cheap ones”?