School me on scope and cheek location

raisins

FNG
I’m mounting a short scope and at higher magnifications I have to slide forward a bit on the stock, extending my neck but not uncomfortably so.

On a hunting rifle that will be shot offhand and from a field rest, what is the consensus on how much stretched forward is desirable?

Ideally, I’d like my head in the optimal position but does such a thing exist or too individual and subjective.

I’m mostly an archer and people overdo the “form is personal and you just have to do it the same every time”. This is kinda true but there are things like grip location and angle that will tend to make most people more accurate with better flight in part because it is more easily repeatable.

Any resources or link etc are welcome.

Thanks!

PS I’ll go to a different scope and ring set if needed. Right now I have a DNZ game reaper 1 piece on Tikka T3X Superlite with a Leupold vx3-hd 2.5-8x36mm. I went with that scope in part because it is so handy on a light rifle.

Eye Relief: put the scope at max mag and from a standing position adjust the eye relief so that you have no blackouts. Confirm that you still have no blackouts while prone.

Comb Height: Have someone watch you for this or set up your cell phone to record yourself. Close your eyes and get comfortable on the stock in a good shooting position. Open your eyes. If your head moves up when you open them you need to raise your comb. If you're trying to squish you face onto your stock more than is reasonable, lower your comb.

OP
R

raisins

FNG
Eye Relief: put the scope at max mag and from a standing position adjust the eye relief so that you have no blackouts. Confirm that you still have no blackouts while prone.

Comb Height: Have someone watch you for this or set up your cell phone to record yourself. Close your eyes and get comfortable on the stock in a good shooting position. Open your eyes. If your head moves up when you open them you need to raise your comb. If you're trying to squish you face onto your stock more than is reasonable, lower your comb.

I don’t have any blackouts but my neck is a bit stretched

So my question is

What is ideal head position and then I’ll try to build a system to that

Thanks

parshal

WKR
The ideal head position is what is comfortable when you first address the rifle. If you get on the rifle and have to move your head around it's not the best location.

As stated earlier, set up that comfortable position on the highest power since that's the tightest eyebox you'll have. Lesser powers are more forgiving for eyebox.