Coopers New Model 92 Backcountry

Just found this rifle today I've been looking for a lightweight good shooting rifle I was thinking fierce but some bad reviews and some great reviews but I'm thinking this cooper is the way to go but can't decide on a caliber I live in northern be Canada I hunt sheep elk and moose all shots will be under 500 with the possibility of out to 750 ish and shooting steel at 1000 I'm thinking either a 280ai or a 28 nosler I will be putting a Swarovski z5 3-18x44 on it
Any suggestions would be great

That's awesome I think that's what I'm going to go with it should work for longer ranges and recoil wise will be a kitten I'm sure

Im thinking Im going to get a 92 in 6.5-06 AI. The 142 gr Accubond LRs @ around 3000fps sounds real appealing to me.

Last edited:
Any reviews on this gun now that guys have hunted with them?

Like I mentioned a page or so back...my Model 92 in a 280AI is EXACTLY what I was hoping it would be. A very good and accurate rifle with a very manageable felt recoil and very nice weight to carry around in the field. I have taken one elk with it so far and I have another elk hunt coming up and I feel very confident in the rifle. And it is a joy to shoot. I was at the range earlier this week trying new recipes(always looking for the perfect load) and took the day and shot 50 at a casual pace and it really is a joy to shoot.

View attachment 42299 Cooper Model 92 280 Ackley Improved 100yd groups shooting off bags. Im sure gun is capable of even better, just the shooter isnt. Flyer in middle group is defineately the shooter. Group on left measures .500", group on left is .150" and was only 2 shots compared to 3 on other groups. Bullets were 160gr Partition and Accubond. This was honestly my first ever attempt at sighting in a firearm at 100yds.

For any southpaws interested. I emailed cooper the other day and was told they can now take orders for lefty 92s

Mine still seems to like 58.5 grains of Reloader 19 for the 162 grain Hornady ELD-X.

image1ELDX.jpg

Last edited:
how do you guys like the muzzle break that comes with this rifle ? both for recoil reduction and blast / noise level?

I don't think it is that loud, especially from behind the rifle. For a Light Weight .300wm, the recoil is very manageable (IMHO).

how do you guys like the muzzle break that comes with this rifle ? both for recoil reduction and blast / noise level?

I haven't tried it without the break but I probably should...mine is a lighter caliber so maybe I don't need the break for the recoil but I also wanted a rifle I could enjoy shooting so felt recoil is very manageable on my 280AI(as would be expected out of any rifle in that caliber really)

I picked up one of these in 7mm rem mag.
Very light, nice stock, nice trigger, nice mag (really long)
The bolt feels a little more sloppy than other coopers I have handled but I think it's mainly because of the light weight.

Anyway, when I got it I took off the warne bases in installed some Talley 30MM lows and a Huskemaw 4-16 I had in the cabinet.

I took it to the range with some new nosler brass loaded up with Retumbo and 180 vld bullets. Also some old factory rounds I found in the closet.

After doing a quick break in with the factory rounds and a couple cleanings I started shooting the new 180 vld loads with 68 grains of retumbo and varying seating depths .010, .020, .030 and .040 jump.

These were the results
IMG_1077_zpszl0y2hgz.jpg

I also had a few rounds loaded up at .010 jump and varying powder charges from 70-72 grains in .5 increments

The bullets were seated to .030 with a portable hand press and I started a round robin charge weight test.

After the first two shots from each charge I started to get erratic shots for the third round of each group.

So, I'm thinking okay, maybe retumbo is too slow and not burning completely in the 24" barrel.

I get home and clean the barrel which had lots of powder fouling and a little copper.

A day later I received some Berger 175 Elite Hunter so I thought I would load those over H1000 thinking it would be a little faster powder and may be better in the short barrel.

I took those to the range and my POI was all over the place so I am thinking maybe it wasn't powder fouling after all because this is acting like a scope issue. At least my brass is all formed now but unfortunately I don't really have any usable data except a seating depth for the 180 vld.

When I got home I figured I would mount a known accurate scope and see if that corrects the problem.
So I remove the Huskemaw and while it's off I check the base screws on the talleys. Both the screws in the front base were completely loose. Great, not a scope problem after all.

When I installed the bases I cleaned the screws and the holes on the rifle and applied a little loctite on the threads then torqued to 25 in lbs. But, the rifle and the bases were very cold from being in the garage and I don't think the loctite had a chance to dry.

So, re applied some loctite, torqued the screws to 35 in lbs then put it inside over night after warming everything by the fire place for a while.

During that time I was measuring the 175 Elite Hunter bullets and thought maybe I would load some over RL26 in the now formed brass.

No data at all on this combo but knowing RL26 is a little faster than H1000 and slower than H4831 SC I decided to load some up at 65.6, 66, 66.4, 66.8 and 67.2 with 215 primers and the 175 EH's at .015 jump.

After seeing the first 4 loads I decided to shoot the 67.2 loads over the Magnetospeed to see what kind of velocity I was getting.

The three rounds at 67.2 averaged 2988 with an ES of 16

I loaded up 20 rounds at 66.4 to get a 200 yard zero then shoot a few at longer distances and also chrono to see how it holds up.

RL26%20with%20175%20EH%20at%20.015%20jump_zps7c3r5erc.jpg

So far I am liking the rifle and recoil is very manageable.
Rifle, scope, scope mounts and vortex level weigh in at 7 lbs, 6 oz.

I will report back next week after shooting the RL26 loads out further.
Also going to form 50 more pieces of brass with 168 Classic Hunters using RL26, H1000 and Retumbo now that I am confident nothing is loose.

Hope this is helpful to someone.

Last edited:
Very helpful! And interesting too. Those 175 EHs are cooking, almost 3000 ft./s with that big bullet and good accuracy is impressive especially considering this is a magnum and doesn't weigh 9 lbs. I'd be happy with that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back