Copper bullets

TheGDog

WKR
168gr Barnes TTSX bullet in .308 Win. - On my first ever deer @40yds... I'd guess in 140-160 Lbs weight range maybe? It literally threw him what looked like 10" sideways! Entry wound had like 5-6" circle of bloodshot. But yeah... threw him sideways, then his back-end went right down... just ended up kicking with his fronts for a little bit, and not going anywhere.

Wound was at back of the lungs area, but nearish the spine, so pretty sure the initial shock-wave took out the spinal column as well in that area, hence the reason only kicking with his fronts afterward.

AZsniper

WKR
The Barnes TTSX is very accurate and great ammo. You should look at the Nosler e-tip too. The e-tip has much better ballistics than the GMX. 2 of my rifles shoot the Barnes and I run the e-tip in my 300 win mag. You cant go wrong with either of them.

Here is what Barnes says about the 165 versus 168 TSX:
The 165-grain TSX incorporates a shorter tangent ogive in the nose profile.
It’s designed for cartridges with short magazines such as the .300 WSM and .300 Win Mag.
The 168-grain TSX BT has a secant ogive which lengthens the nose profile and has
shown superb accuracy downrange. It offers the best of both worlds because
it’s also a premium hunting bullet offering exceptional terminal performance.
It is best suited for cartridges such as the .308 Winchester, .30-06 and .300 Weatherby.

406unltd

WKR
I’ve shot two bulls with the 165 ttsx out of my 300wsm. Recovered both bullets. Excellent weight retention, penetration, and terminal performance. Couldn’t have been happier. Only reason I went to the Hornady outfitter 180 GMX is because my gun like heavier bullets. You won’t be disappointed with the Barnes.

Nubs

FNG
I use the 168 ttsx in a 308 and 110 in 300 blackout. I have never been disappointed in probably almost 15 whitetail and antelope between them.

Only bullet I recovered was out of an antelope facing me. Shot square in the front and stopped at the femur. Bullet looked like the pictures.

Don't get as good of accuracy out of the GMX.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

6mm Remington 90 gr. Nosler E-tip at about 3150 fps out of a Ruger MKII - hand-load.
My son's first elk. One shot 350 yards tight behind her right shoulder in the lungs. She was slightly angled and bullet took out her lungs and EXITED her left shoulder right in the center of the shoulder. The elk staggered about 20 yards and dropped. He's taken a few antelope and a couple mule deer with the same bullet and load. I've been really impressed by the E-tips.

1602460318230.png

w squared

FNG
I have had exceptional results with the 168 grain TTSX out of my .308's and the 150 grain TSX from my .30-30. Granted, all of those shots were well placed (not all by me). In each case, we saw at least one broken shoulder, significant damage to vitals, and an exit wound. Granted, these shots were all on hogs - much smaller than elk, but generally constructed in a pretty robust manner.

On elk I can't offer direct first-hand input since I have yet to kill one - but I've done a fair amount of research. Based on what I've seen, the Barnes monolithics will penetrate well even if they do hit bone. Expansion is the question....and as long as the velocity stays at +/-2000FPS or better, they should expand well. With any of the heavier .30 caliber Barnes bullets you'll have 1500 ft-lbs of energy or more at that velocity, so you're within what seems to be commonly seen as ethical hunting distances.

For what it's worth, I would be comfortable taking most shots at an elk inside 300 yards with the 168 grain .308. Approaching 400 the bullet is starting to drop just below that 2000 FPS and 1500 ft-lb threshold, so I would need to be very certain indeed of my skill level, the conditions, and a clear path to the vitals with that shot before taking it.