Copper fragment in meat

JFK

WKR
Thought I’d post this as an FYI since I remember it being discussed a while back. Two days ago I cooked up some wild pig Italian sausage I made in the spring. About half way through dinner I bit down on a pretty small, very hard, bit of something. It hurt my tooth like hell and thought it might have cracked it at first. Fished it out of my mouth and it was a tiny chunk of copper. Not sharp at all and must have been just small enough to fit through a medium grinder plate. I shoot TTSX, so not a copper bullet that’s really designed to shed weight, but apparently it can and does happen. In any case, just thought I’d post this as a heads up to keep an eye out while processing game. It’s not fun to bite down on!

TheGDog

WKR
I also had found some petals from the 168gr TTSX .308 when I was processing the meat. Thankfully, since I like to cut the steaks like 1/2" thick and do just 6min each side... I easily saw them and removed them BEFORE such an owie.

And jokingly... I've always mentioned "Because...ya know... I have to imagine scarfing down a big hunk of sharp twisty copper has to be soo much better on a Condors guts. #FacePalm"

KClark

WKR
I have recovered several Barnes X bullets that were missing petals. Also found a few petals under the hide on the exit side.

Grumman

WKR
I bit HeviShot from eating a wild turkey, I about pissed myself from the tooth pain. Stopped using it after that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bit HeviShot from eating a wild turkey, I about pissed myself from the tooth pain. Stopped using it after that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I was about to say the same thing. I imagine that’s like biting down on steel shot in your duck stew, not a good feeling. I’m definitely more careful from now on.

FLAK

WKR
I'm 54, and we always mashed our split shot on with our teeth when we were kids, fishing.
I'm not convinced its much of an issue. I dont bite on split
shot now but how many times do you think you ingest lead from
a kill? Very, very rarely I'd say, and IMO not enough to worry about.

S.Clancy

WKR
I'm 54, and we always mashed our split shot on with our teeth when we were kids, fishing.
I'm not convinced its much of an issue. I dont bite on split
shot now but how many times do you think you ingest lead from
a kill? Very, very rarely I'd say, and IMO not enough to worry about.
Yea, I've eaten birds shit with lead for 20 years, but some may consider me deranged. All I know is since switching to monolithic bullets I've yet to find a piece in an animal.

ProAlpine

FNG
I switched to Barnes this year specifically because I don't want to ingest lead. My dad reloaded his whole life, cast his own bullets, shot lead, played with lead, etc... He just died of liver cancer in May. And he wasn't a drinker.

It's easy to dismiss the warnings when it doesn't kill you immediately. My dad use to shrug it all off, but I tell you, taking care of him while his body shriveled up and died was no fun.

I figure if they don't want you living with lead paint on your walls, why the hell would I want it in my food!

I don't want copper either though... I've cut myself on copper petals while gutting a deer. Scary stuff. I'd be interested to hear others experience with Barnes.

I have shot quite a few animals with Barnes ttsx and haven’t found any pedals in my meat yet. Even if I do, I would rather find copper then lead.

Rokbar

WKR
I have eaten grouse shot with 7 1/2's my whole life. I'm sure I've swallowed some shot, most definitely bit down on some. My dad gave his friend some grouse a few years back. He ended up going to the dentist to get two pieces of shot removed stuck between his teeth. I'm sure as a public we probably don't want to know what we really eat.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Lead is a cumulative toxin, the body does not dispose of it well, so small amounts over time build up. The primary reason for concern with lead paint is small children end up eating paint chips/paint dust. It is not really an issue with adults.

People who eat wild game have higher average lead levels than those who do not (1.27 mcg/dL vs 0.84 mcg/dL). 10 mcg/dL is considered a toxic level. However, lower levels are significantly more harmful in small children (including those in utero) and irreversible. There is also no known safe exposure level

I currently hunt with lead (AccuBonds), but I am considering switching to copper as I have two young children.

Lead is a cumulative toxin, the body does not dispose of it well, so small amounts over time build up. The primary reason for concern with lead paint is small children end up eating paint chips/paint dust. It is not really an issue with adults.

People who eat wild game have higher average lead levels than those who do not (1.27 mcg/dL vs 0.84 mcg/dL). 10 mcg/dL is considered a toxic level. However, lower levels are significantly more harmful in small children (including those in utero) and irreversible. There is also no known safe exposure level

I currently hunt with lead (AccuBonds), but I am considering switching to copper as I have two young children.

A pregnant wife and 2 young kids is what made me switch.

I now shoot Barnes TTSX exclusively. Just wondering if the stomach acids would dissolve the copper pieces, or if they could make it into the intestines and the sharp edges cause problems there? Sharp edges on them might really be uncomfortable as they "exit" the body.

Last edited: