Correct way to run on rocks with rifle?

TaperPin

WKR
We have some boys in the family that are getting more into hunting and are ready for more advaneed topics. I don’t know if this is better off not said, or it’s it’s better to recommend the safe-ish way. I had never even considered having to run at timber line with a day pack, but then on a high ridge one day. . .

After lunch, I walked a few feet and 50 yards away an old buck past his prime jumped up, took a look at me and hopped over a rise 50 yards behind him. He was thick, really thick, but past his prime and had that short stocky rack of a real old deer. I could either walk 100 yards over the rise and never see him, or run over and at least have a chance. At the time it was an automatic response - a no-brainer and as fast as I could boulder hopped and ran through the shale to a point where the deer stood behind a tree looking back trying to locate all my noise.

There was a lot of room for improvement. I hunted with an empty chamber until ready to shoot and was not used to automatically manipulating a safety before a shot - there I stood huffing and puffing but convinced he was a dead deer if the gun would just go off. Lol

Luckily I didn’t sprain an ankle or break something.

I‘m probably just going to tell the kids to walk fast, but don’t ever run. There’s not a good way to include running and gun safety is there?

rideold

WKR
Oh, I don't know. If the chamber is empty and both hands are on the rifle at all times I don't see much problem. Personally, I always hunt with an empty chamber until I am setting up for a shot or sitting and watching the woods. I've been told many a time that I'm chancing missing an opportunity but I'm ok with that. Last fall my son forgot to carry his rifle on the downhill side while we were traversing and he fell on top of it. Sure glad is was empty.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I have done the same thing when I was younger. My biggest concern was either falling and damaging the rifle or maybe break not only the stock, but my leg as well. Back in those days I spent a lot of time hunting alone, and while not terrible remote, with a broken leg, I would have been in a real bind. My wife would not have started to worry until I was a few hours over due and she had not heard from me. Good thing, I always told her where I was going.

I just walk a little faster and then maybe run a little when the ground is more stable. Always carry my rifle with an empty chamber. Just
not worth risking a broken body or bullet hole for an animal.

OP
TaperPin

TaperPin

WKR
Oh, I don't know. If the chamber is empty and both hands are on the rifle at all times I don't see much problem. Personally, I always hunt with an empty chamber until I am setting up for a shot or sitting and watching the woods. I've been told many a time that I'm chancing missing an opportunity but I'm ok with that. Last fall my son forgot to carry his rifle on the downhill side while we were traversing and he fell on top of it. Sure glad is was empty.
The only time an empty chamber was an issue was when a hunting partner short stroked the action and an easy 75 yard shot turned into nothing more than a loud click.

We spotted the deer from a long long way away and came up on a saddle a few hundred yards from the deer - another hunter made a noise or their scent hit the buck and it ran right for us. If it wasn’t for a little blow on a cow elk call that froze him in his tracks for a few seconds, the deer would have literally ran by within bayonet range. 🙂

OP
TaperPin

TaperPin

WKR
I have done the same thing when I was younger. My biggest concern was either falling and damaging the rifle or maybe break not only the stock, but my leg as well. Back in those days I spent a lot of time hunting alone, and while not terrible remote, with a broken leg, I would have been in a real bind. My wife would not have started to worry until I was a few hours over due and she had not heard from me. Good thing, I always told her where I was going.
I think it’s interesting that we don’t hear the suggestion to always tell someone where you’re going and when you’ll return. Maybe it’s the cell phone affect and everyone feels like they can be found easily. Idk

WTFJohn

WKR
Gun safety is the same whether sitting, walking, running, crawling, jumping. The same good ways to walk with a rifle work running.

This.

Also, don't make hunting the toughest athletic thing you do all year, you're more prone to injury if it's your first time doing something vs staying in shape and knowing where your feet are over broken terrain.

I would also suggest taking a tactical rifle/carbine shooting course from a reputable instructor/company. You'll get lots of reps in that include safety on/safety off, weapons manipulation while moving, and establishing a quick & accurate sight picture (among other things). You can also take a precision rifle shooting course for similar reps, as long as the instructor is focusing on more than just shooting prone from a mat.

WKR

WKR
Gun safety is the same whether sitting, walking, running, crawling, jumping. The same good ways to walk with a rifle work running.
This is the correct response
It all depends on your trust in yourself and your faculties. Sure footedness and dexterity is what matters.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Maybe join the Marines or the Navy and try to become a Navy SEAL. Then do some Mountain training.

JDDuf

FNG
Another issue is if you're running to take a shot, and not used to doing so, your breathing is going to be heavy and you're likely not very steady through the scope

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m with @WTFJohn about staying fit. I’m trying to start trail running but too embarrassed to be seen. Not that you can run the same with hunting gear but having quick feet and the cardio would be nice.

Traveler

WKR
Another vote for @sndmn11 response. If you follow gun safety rules running is fine. I’ve shot many deer after running up a hill and getting them on the other side.

I tried the running thing one time across a steep ridge in a clear cut at age 30ish. You know the age by which you should know your no longer bullet proof. I was Fortunate that I took a hard fall on my face before I stepped in the wrong place and broke leg. I since decided that there wasn't any deer worth a bad injury.

Reactions: BFR

bpa556

FNG
We have some boys in the family that are getting more into hunting and are ready for more advaneed topics. I don’t know if this is better off not said, or it’s it’s better to recommend the safe-ish way. I had never even considered having to run at timber line with a day pack, but then on a high ridge one day. . .

After lunch, I walked a few feet and 50 yards away an old buck past his prime jumped up, took a look at me and hopped over a rise 50 yards behind him. He was thick, really thick, but past his prime and had that short stocky rack of a real old deer. I could either walk 100 yards over the rise and never see him, or run over and at least have a chance. At the time it was an automatic response - a no-brainer and as fast as I could boulder hopped and ran through the shale to a point where the deer stood behind a tree looking back trying to locate all my noise.

There was a lot of room for improvement. I hunted with an empty chamber until ready to shoot and was not used to automatically manipulating a safety before a shot - there I stood huffing and puffing but convinced he was a dead deer if the gun would just go off. Lol

Luckily I didn’t sprain an ankle or break something.

I‘m probably just going to tell the kids to walk fast, but don’t ever run. There’s not a good way to include running and gun safety is there?

I always hunt with one in the pipe. Safety manipulation training makes one as safe as one needs to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7mm-08

WKR
Running with or without a rifle in a steep, rocky wilderness environment is, without a doubt, a recipe for a fall. Like most of the other folks who posted, I hunt with an empty chamber. So, what's the worst that can happen - probably a bad fall and possibly broken bones and a smashed firearm. At 50 I took a hell of a fall (with a loaded rifle) running on unstable rocks trying to anchor a mortally wounded Big Horn ram before he fell off a several hundred foot cliff band. I was successful, but he still fell some distance and banged up one horn. I fractured my right foot and sprained the hell out of my right (strong) hand nine miles in the back county. The rifle survived unscathed. It was an adventure getting the ram processed and out of that dangrously steep and unstable location and I am still thankful today that my college age son was with me. I needed moral support. Given that this occurred more than 15 years ago, I'd still do the same damned thing today. And, to answer your question, running in the rocks with a rifle is a gamble. Do so at your risk.

Firearm safety is firearms safety. But, I can tell you, I have ran with a rifle in my hands for many years, up, down, and side ways in various terrain. Once my children, learned the fundamentals of firearm safety and executed in the field we stepped up the training scenarios. But, this has taken many years and alot of patience to pass off to my children. Every situation, person, and terrain is different. Learning to traverse terrain at all gaites are life skills.

OP
TaperPin

TaperPin

WKR
Running with or without a rifle in a steep, rocky wilderness environment is, without a doubt, a recipe for a fall. Like most of the other folks who posted, I hunt with an empty chamber. So, what's the worst that can happen - probably a bad fall and possibly broken bones and a smashed firearm. At 50 I took a hell of a fall (with a loaded rifle) running on unstable rocks trying to anchor a mortally wounded Big Horn ram before he fell off a several hundred foot cliff band. I was successful, but he still fell some distance and banged up one horn. I fractured my right foot and sprained the hell out of my right (strong) hand nine miles in the back county. The rifle survived unscathed. It was an adventure getting the ram processed and out of that dangrously steep and unstable location and I am still thankful today that my college age son was with me. I needed moral support. Given that this occurred more than 15 years ago, I'd still do the same damned thing today. And, to answer your question, running in the rocks with a rifle is a gamble. Do so at your risk.
Wow - that’s quite a story - and it sounds like some really steep country!