count down to a Pig hunt

Opah

WKR
8 days till I set off, all I have completed is getting my rifle sighted in well enough to kill plenty of hog, and I did find some none lead hollow point hunting ammo.
Left to do is:
Buy my License and tags
Get my food together
Buy more blades for my Havalon bone crusher
Some tools to work on the quads and Ranger
I have the 36" 1/4 " diameter air nozzels ready to go. Blow Baby Blow that Piggy up and then just unzip them and take the skin off.
Hey you even not forget something ? I mean everything not I can do without it?

I have my hunting trailer so all but clothes, food, stuff I ran out of last trip and new stuff like to Piggy compressor 36" air gun, Things like That
I keep spare Ammo, Propane, and weather related clothing in the trailer also. Just incase I decide on the drop of a dime to go and figure it out on the way. (Has happened) For those who did not know Cup O soup does not stay good forever, found that out on one of the figure it out on the way

Last edited:

GSPHUNTER

WKR
8 days till I set off, all I have completed is getting my rifle sighted in well enough to kill plenty of hog, and I did find some none lead hollow point hunting ammo.
Left to do is:
Buy my License and tags
Get my food together
Buy more blades for my Havalon bone crusher
Some tools to work on the quads and Ranger
I have the 36" 1/4 " diameter air nozzels ready to go. Blow Baby Blow that Piggy up and then just unzip them and take the skin off.
Hey you even not forget something ? I mean everything not I can do without it?

I have my hunting trailer so all but clothes, food, stuff I ran out of last trip and new stuff like to Piggy compressor 36" air gun, Things like That
I keep spare Ammo, Propane, and weather related clothing in the trailer also. Just incase I decide on the drop of a dime to go and figure it out on the way. (Has happened) For those who did not know Cup O soup does not stay good forever, found that out on one of the figure it out on the way
1639363386447.png
Never forget anything, last thing I do before I start my truck is go over my list, I'm a big list guy. My friends are alway giving me a hard time about my list but, it never fails they come over and ask me for something they forgot. I show them my, KISS MY ASS list.

OP
O

Opah

WKR
Tomorrow night I pack the truck and hook up the trailer, bright and early I am on the road. 5 hours later I will be pulling into Parkfield, Ca, once there the first thing I do is break out my day pack with My license and tags and my rifle. I could catch some walking down the ridge beside where I set up camp, it has been a while since anyone has been up there those Hogs will be taking the short cuts thru the house lot to get to the meadows across the road. 1/2 an hour to get the trailer up and my hunting stuff organized in it, check the property out.
I be getting back to you guys the 2nd of Jan 2022.
BYE

IDMilton

FNG
Best of luck! It is snowing here in Montana right now and a little sunshine and hunting sounds great.

OP
O

Opah

WKR
DING DING DING, 7 hours more of work then its on, Fill the Yukon with Gas and check the fluids, Yes that means the oil also.
Load the food, clothes, Ice chests, ammo Day pack and hook up the trailer and check the tire pressure.
5am coffee in hand fire arms put in truck, I was going to Say Fire arms Loaded but I can hear the never travel with loaded weapons or as a matter of Fact Do not travel with a loaded uncle or brother. you know the typical messing with stuff.
I am so ready to get on the road, waking up to the Toms flying down from their roosts gobbling for their hens and then it starts get to the lower meadows and start glassing, working your way around to the Over look into the riverbed.
Day break and sun set are the hunting hours, the rest of the time I spend wrenching on the Quads and Ranger, getting them ready for another season. Yes its True We drive out to pick up our Hogs, bring them Back Hang and wash them, we have a couple Skinning stations and into the Ice chests.
Looking at the younger 200 lbs ones this year, they are just way more tasty than the Big ass Boars. And yes i will Catalog the hunt and Air skinning with Video and pictures. Figure the first couple Hogs may be a little rough air skinning them But should Have it down come 3 and 4
+

Hopefully you get after them early, the weather looks wet the next few days and I remember the mud being particularly nasty there! Lots of pigs out there though, good luck!

OP
O

Opah

WKR
Helloooooo All, yes I am back.

This was a real hard hunt, Not just the weather being adverse but the learning curve on the new rifle Hung me up a time or two.

It rained for 9 of 10 days, every thing was wet , cold and muddy and by the time I got all dialed in the pigs knew we were there.

What should have been a 3 pig hunt left me low and soaked, seems I am a un-intentional environmentalist. 3 pigs are alive today because I failed to get the job done.

This was a real hard hunt, Not just the weather being adverse but the learning curve on the new rifle Hung me up a time or two.

It rained for 9 of 10 days, every thing was wet , cold and muddy and by the time I got all dialed in the pigs knew we were there.

What should have been a 3 pig hunt left me low and soaked, seems I am a un-intentional environmentalist. 3 pigs are alive today because I failed to get the job done.
I was wondering how that was going to go when I saw the forecast for this area. That’s awesome though you at least got a few opportunities and saw some pigs. Better luck next time!

Zappaman

WKR

Keep at it! I went three times to my family's place (and twice to another buddy's ranch)- most times wet as hell and miserable. Saw pigs, but didn't connect. Then last spring I went again (and woke up at 2AM to go out) and connected with THREE in 10 seconds (6.8 SPC). If your hunting before midnight, odds are low lately as the pigs are smarter now (and VERY nocturnal). Smarter than dogs; they KNOW when they are being hunted.

Eat a big dinner, crash at 8pm, then wake up at 1am and you'll see more pigs ;)

Hang in there!!!

You mean that same tiny property where you always sit in the same folding chair in a natural ground blind that is a few minutes walk from camp? The location where you kill pigs there because they are attracted by your snoring and their grunts from 15' wake you up? Those who know you and hunted with you here are laughing their asses off at the idea that you "had a hard hunt" on that spot. I sat in the same chair you did and policed the brass you left behind. I took a proper weapon for that spot's close quarter kills. You should start the Rokslide Fiction Writers Club, you're a natural. I would pay money to shoot video of you dressing out a hog alone. That would be a first. Lordy Lordy Lordy. Glad I put my boots on before reading your hog hunt report.

waitingforrazorbacks.JPG

JFK

WKR
You guys have a lease out that way? Beautiful country and lots of pigs.

You guys have a lease out that way? Beautiful country and lots of pigs.
No it's not a lease, it's a work to hunt situation. So when I was going there, as Bruce points out, it was very important to me to leave the place cleaner than when I got there. Considering that I was the guy that brought everyone else into the ranch, keeping the place clean, being respectful... was very important to me. The hunt ranges from as about as easy as it can get (the specific location described) to a fairly easy hunt, but nothing that I would consider actually hard physically. For the most part, there are always some pigs there, it's just a matter of finding them, or waiting for them to come out and play.

JFK

WKR
No it's not a lease, it's a work to hunt situation. So when I was going there, as Bruce points out, it was very important to me to leave the place cleaner than when I got there. Considering that I was the guy that brought everyone else into the ranch, keeping the place clean, being respectful... was very important to me. The hunt ranges from as about as easy as it can get (the specific location described) to a fairly easy hunt, but nothing that I would consider actually hard physically. For the most part, there are always some pigs there, it's just a matter of finding them, or waiting for them to come out and play.

You guys are lucky to have that place. It’s really hard to find that type of arrangement on a private ranch in that area. I live a couple hours north of there, and have hunted there a couple times. Definitely a lot of pigs in that valley.

You guys are lucky to have that place. It’s really hard to find that type of arrangement on a private ranch in that area. I live a couple hours north of there, and have hunted there a couple times. Definitely a lot of pigs in that valley.
I haven't hunted there for a couple years now, as I refuse to clean up after someone I brought in, or be taken advantage of - manipulated into skinning and butchering the pigs of someone I brought in there, and the list goes on and on. But hey, the nephew of the owners apparently doesn't mind such people.

I worked my ass off on that ranch for years. Harvested a whole bunch of pigs there, and had the place wired. But nothing lasts forever.

I am back to hunting public land, hard earned hogs. It keeps me in shape, and young.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJB

MJB

WKR
Sorry to hear you got f***** over....... been there felt that once again it happen this year.

This guy is "that" guy......sadly there's a few of them on here

Now the air compressor makes perfect sense.