CPAP anything new for backpacking/camping

Lots of good info in here, thanks for sharing fellas! This turned out to be very timely considering I was just diagoned with sleep apnea today..

Eldoradotim

FNG
Classified Approved
Just chiming in to add I also have a Z1 Auto. I have their battery pack/shell setup and DC charger and use it for camping/base camp and will plug it in during the day in my truck (whether I’m out hiking or using the truck) and you can go pretty much indefinitely that way.

I know this was more about backpacking and I haven‘t bothered with it for backpacking yet, but depending on temps you can get 2-3 nights out of the 2 battery packs pretty easy. I’ve also got “moderate” apnea and seem to do ok going a couple few nights w/o it, but obviously I’ll snore more and get less rest.

For those with the dental thing, any more details? Or what should I a guy look into or ask if I wanted to try one as a simpler option for backpacking multiple nights?

SIR_34:16

FNG
After researching several of the travel size CPAP machines, they are all rated for a maximum altitude of 8,000-8,500 feet. Has anyone used one of these above 10,000?

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, I've used the Air Mini at 2 different camps at 9,960 and 10,300. No problems other than condensation if in an unheated tent. Ive had to take my shirt and wipe out my mask once or twice during the night.

Does anyone have a decent battery solution for a Resmed Air mini? Don't really want to fork out 300 bucks for the ones typically sold by the medical companies.

I have moderate sleep apnea and don't absolutely have to take the cpap but man do I sleep better with it.

As far as the dental appliances go, make sure if you have one made that your dentist is doing a sleep study before recommending it over a cpap and is also doing a sleep study to monitor the effectiveness after adjustment. There are appliances on the market that don't require new plates to change the amount of adjustment. I wore a TAP appliance before switching to the cpap. Make sure to ask your dentist what's available and why they are using the specific device. There are many options and some work better for some patients then others.

I do make sleep apnea appliances but I use a cpap. If you can tolerate a cpap its hands down the better option. Appliances work well in mild cases or in moderate cases when the patient can't tolerate wearing a cpap.

Yes, I've used the Air Mini at 2 different camps at 9,960 and 10,300. No problems other than condensation if in an unheated tent. Ive had to take my shirt and wipe out my mask once or twice during the night.
What battery cord combo did you use? Trying to weed through the options.

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
Here is a picture with a checkbook included for size reference. I dont run the Air Mini hose or mask. The hose is also proprietary in size thus the adaptor sticking out.

Attachments

• 20220622_184644.jpg
    20220622_184644.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 42

kapaluy

FNG
There are few threads, one I contibuted with a lot of info you can search on. My summary:

I backpack hunt and have severe apnea. I use HSM z1 auto pap. It is one pound. It auto senses altitude pressure changes automatically. It works great and use all the time for overnights local business travel too.

I have 3 goal zero Sherpa 50 battery packs. Each wis one pound, but I don’t necessarily take all of them. At 70 degrees I can get 15-16 hours from one. At 34 degrees it’s about 8 hours. I also have a goal zero trifold nomad 20 watt solar charger. In my back yard and tending it will fully charge a Sherpa 50 in 4 hours on a sunny day. In real mountain conditions mixed light it’s an all day process to get it mostly charged. So you may loosed a day of hunting. It’s 1.5 pounds.

I’ve migrated to a base camp and spike out 1-3 nights cause just easier for me to take one or two Sherpa 50. By using a sticky toe warmer on each side when cold I can get battery life up to 10 hours each. Hunting, two 5 hour nights is reasonable so one unit.

The pain about my equipment is I plug a female 12v batter adapter in it and then a 12v male end to the cpap. Seamlessly works but a lot of wires. Newer technology is a usb power, but then you need a battery source that has the higher usb. None on the market that I’ve tested work more than a hour or two despite their claims. Goal zero has discontinued the Sherpa 50 and a new design Sherpa 100 or 150 cant remember has twice the power and a high power usb. Very pricey but that would be my next purchase along with a new hdm with the usb power cord.

Appreciate dentist honesty. Be sure you absolutely know your degree of apnea. Those dental devices are very expensive and have been studied well in mild apnea, causally in moderate. None I’m aware of in severe apnea. My recall in moderate is 25% success measured subjectively in post sleep from patient. Not medically monitored. Would not risk my life and multiple thousands of dollars if you have severe apnea.

If apnea, there is a price to pay to stay safe if you go into backcountry hinting in weight and expense. I for one want to go high and kill stuff.
I just started using an airmini. I also have a Sherpa 50 with inverter. DO you think there is any difference between 1) plugging the AC adapter into the inverter and 2) using a dedicated adapter with 12V cigarette lighter type input and getting a cable to connect the Sherpa directly to the Cpap unit like this one https://www.cpapdirect.com/parts-an...om-airmini-output-cable-for-pilot-24-battery?
THanks in aadvance for your opinion

Shraggs

WKR
I just started using an airmini. I also have a Sherpa 50 with inverter. DO you think there is any difference between 1) plugging the AC adapter into the inverter and 2) using a dedicated adapter with 12V cigarette lighter type input and getting a cable to connect the Sherpa directly to the Cpap unit like this one https://www.cpapdirect.com/parts-an...om-airmini-output-cable-for-pilot-24-battery?
THanks in aadvance for your opinion
Yes, converting dc to ac gives up battery run time capacity. I believe goal zero can accurately confirm, but it’s 25% loss or more.

kapaluy

FNG
Y
Yes, converting dc to ac gives up battery run time capacity. I believe goal zero can accurately confirm, but it’s 25% loss or more.
Thanks, they did confirm power loss and said there is power loss in using the resmed 12V adapter (12 to 24) as well though less. I think I will try with inverter first and then consider getting the resmed adapter depending on how many hours usage I get

jswayze1

FNG
Got a new CPAP recently and discussed backpack options with the setup provider. He suggested https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0791Y1WSQ?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

AIMTOM 42000mAh 155Wh Power Station​

Charged it a month ago and let it sit and then used it the last 3 days with my older Resmed S9 for 3 full nights, 7.5 hours avg. per night. 6,300+/- elevation, Castle Rock, Colorado. It is August so it's warm, 68 to 65 degrees in house. Bought the DC cable (lighter plug in adapter) as suggested. No heated water and no heated tubing. Pressure setting is 11 ish. It's about 3.5 lbs. plus a few oz. for the dc adapter, plus the Resmed S9. I paid about $137, today it is $115. Seems most one night batteries are $300+. I'm happy with the purchase and should get 2 to 3 nights (4 to 5 days) in higher altitude, a bit colder for September Archery. I've been tied to the Honda EU2000i until now so ready to fill up the Kifaru 44 mag and get with it.

Eldoradotim

FNG
Classified Approved
Pretty sure I'm about to get a sleep apnea or similar diagnosis. Appreciate all the info on here. I've got a humless 200 battery pack already, but might need to look into solar panel to use as well.

Luckily I have some help packing in gear.
View attachment 507195
Thanks for the thread bump some good info in here, and "hi" from McCall. Your packers look fun, use them around here?

Tcmo-33

FNG
Has anyone used the transcend micro? Looks like they claim it’s less than half a pound. My only problem with this one is that it runs off of 18 volt batteries that will only give 2 nights of sleep with a hefty weight penalty. I was thinking that a person could get one of the goal zero Sherpa 100 ac packs along with the 20 solar charger to have an unlimited power supply….. weather permitting. But I am not totally sure how that would work out. I’m not an electrical engineer and have a hard time wrapping my head around the conversions.

jswayze1

FNG
Got a new CPAP recently and discussed backpack options with the setup provider. He suggested https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0791Y1WSQ?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

AIMTOM 42000mAh 155Wh Power Station​

Charged it a month ago and let it sit and then used it the last 3 days with my older Resmed S9 for 3 full nights, 7.5 hours avg. per night. 6,300+/- elevation, Castle Rock, Colorado. It is August so it's warm, 68 to 65 degrees in house. Bought the DC cable (lighter plug in adapter) as suggested. No heated water and no heated tubing. Pressure setting is 11 ish. It's about 3.5 lbs. plus a few oz. for the dc adapter, plus the Resmed S9. I paid about $137, today it is $115. Seems most one night batteries are $300+. I'm happy with the purchase and should get 2 to 3 nights (4 to 5 days) in higher altitude, a bit colder for September Archery. I've been tied to the Honda EU2000i until now so ready to fill up the Kifaru 44 mag and get with it.
Surgery last year so no hunting situations. Scouted two weeks ago +11,000 ft and < 40 degrees.

AIMTOM 42000mAh 155Wh Power Station worked well for 2 nights and charged Galaxy S10 phone each night. Still had what looked like another nights charge remaining. Will be doing several 5 day, 3 night stints at 11,000 + in September. $/lb is damn good and it seems to work, so far. You have to get a DC converter, cigarett adapter cable for your unit. Have a physicist explain, but they draw/use less power. Don't charge and leave in truck for months. It doesn't seem to hold a long-term charge. Charge before you head out.​

Tcmo-33

FNG
I am still currently in the testing phase to see how long my system will last but I will give guys interested in this topic an idea of what my system consists of. I have the transcend micro cpap with a resmed f20 mask and the tubing that comes with the transcend micro.
92a428cced2a08c0d445aa4bf8c99da3.png

My biggest issue like most was they power situation. Since I plan to backpack in for an extended amount of time,(5 or more days) battery size was a concern. My first thought was if I could find a battery with 3 days of storage and a solar charger that I could use to top off every day in case weather/solar charging capability was not possible due to bad sun conditions. The main issue I ran into was weight.

I was looking at the goal zero Sherpa 100ac with a solar panel. This pack allowed me to get 3 days before it was dead. At around 4 1/2 pounds for the battery/solar panel combo it seems heavy for its capabilities. After doing some research I came across something that made me question this option. If you use a 12 volt battery that converts the power to a 110 outlet you lose efficiency. Keep in mind I did not personally test this but I read it enough to make me question it.
bc5ec0a9ef89141b6db6791868871ea6.png
5db465eb02ff2252316cf6218e14ac2f.png

My next thought was maybe I could get a large enough battery pack that I would not need to charge it and that it could use a 12 volt to 18 volt converter as the transcend uses a 19 volt inverter going from 110 to 19 volts. While I was doing some looking around I came across a few videos, one of which was from outside of this country from remsleep. They had a battery pack that had the converter built in and you could choose 12/16.5/20/24 volts. Another plus side to this was that this battery was rated at around 72,000 [email protected] volts…… that’s a lot of juice! Weighing in at 3.3 pounds it is hefty but losing the solar charger it was over a pound lighter. It sounded like a great option so I figured I’d give it a shot. I went to purchase it and just my luck, it’s not available in the us.

Back to the drawing board. I looked into the aimTom pack but again I was worried that the weight to day count led me to looking for something else.
8a73a133e7ddc8f4b53d424b702de720.png
528a57a0cbf4cb35285e5a1b68bc8d87.png

That’s when I stumbled across the option I am currently testing. I was scrolling thru Amazon when I found a battery pack that looked exactly like the the remsleep battery. It’s called the renogy 72,000 mAh power bank. After further investigation, it seemed to me that this was in fact the same exact one but just a different brand and at $160 I figured I’d give it a try. This pack has the same capabilities as the remsleep being able to choose your voltage. Another plus side to this is that you can leave the heavy brick of a power inverter at home. This kit comes with quite a few plug-in adapters to accommodate a bunch of machines.
bf3cdf59a15c455366a860d5d26b1c01.png

8884a50561446364d60ebe3f2dd36d04.jpg

I want to test this system before I can recommend it so I am going to use it at home to see how long it will last. My therory is that if people are getting 5 days out of the aimTom I should expect around 7 days. I will also be charging my phone every other day on this battery as well as my smart watch and possibly an Inreach mini to see if this battery is capable of keeping me away from having to use any other power source for my electronics. This whole systems weighs in at 4 pounds 9.5 oz. Total including a dry bag. I will update when the battery runs out of power.
97ee51db6f5ac1b88fd5d3cba2697f2e.jpg

c45062fd030c92ae8d697ee426eee5c4.jpg

dd85c94cdf4f77292c4b65cde44d36e6.jpg

71c121434659a8cb66a9e7abaf982a16.jpg

bd9d5a6a449557be7d4bdc24c6953d05.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk