CPAP anything new for backpacking/camping

Pk_in_Dallas

Lil-Rokslider
I have used the Goal Zero 100 / Goal Zero Nomad 20 with Transcend Mini Cpap along with the converter and it worked for a week. The solar panel charged up the battery pack while I was away from camp every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twince

FNG
I have used the Goal Zero 100 / Goal Zero Nomad 20 with Transcend Mini Cpap along with the converter and it worked for a week. The solar panel charged up the battery pack while I was away from camp every day.

twince

FNG
Appreciate your post. I am currently looking for a lightweight CPAP setup that will get me through a 3-5 day hunt.

jswayze1

FNG
If using the Aimtom be careful with the light. have opened pack twice now and the light is on...switch is too easy to engage. will try to superglue a bottle cap over it. ?

Tcmo-33

FNG
I am still currently in the testing phase to see how long my system will last but I will give guys interested in this topic an idea of what my system consists of. I have the transcend micro cpap with a resmed f20 mask and the tubing that comes with the transcend micro.
92a428cced2a08c0d445aa4bf8c99da3.png

My biggest issue like most was they power situation. Since I plan to backpack in for an extended amount of time,(5 or more days) battery size was a concern. My first thought was if I could find a battery with 3 days of storage and a solar charger that I could use to top off every day in case weather/solar charging capability was not possible due to bad sun conditions. The main issue I ran into was weight.

I was looking at the goal zero Sherpa 100ac with a solar panel. This pack allowed me to get 3 days before it was dead. At around 4 1/2 pounds for the battery/solar panel combo it seems heavy for its capabilities. After doing some research I came across something that made me question this option. If you use a 12 volt battery that converts the power to a 110 outlet you lose efficiency. Keep in mind I did not personally test this but I read it enough to make me question it.
bc5ec0a9ef89141b6db6791868871ea6.png
5db465eb02ff2252316cf6218e14ac2f.png

My next thought was maybe I could get a large enough battery pack that I would not need to charge it and that it could use a 12 volt to 18 volt converter as the transcend uses a 19 volt inverter going from 110 to 19 volts. While I was doing some looking around I came across a few videos, one of which was from outside of this country from remsleep. They had a battery pack that had the converter built in and you could choose 12/16.5/20/24 volts. Another plus side to this was that this battery was rated at around 72,000 [email protected] volts…… that’s a lot of juice! Weighing in at 3.3 pounds it is hefty but losing the solar charger it was over a pound lighter. It sounded like a great option so I figured I’d give it a shot. I went to purchase it and just my luck, it’s not available in the us.

Back to the drawing board. I looked into the aimTom pack but again I was worried that the weight to day count led me to looking for something else.
8a73a133e7ddc8f4b53d424b702de720.png
528a57a0cbf4cb35285e5a1b68bc8d87.png

That’s when I stumbled across the option I am currently testing. I was scrolling thru Amazon when I found a battery pack that looked exactly like the the remsleep battery. It’s called the renogy 72,000 mAh power bank. After further investigation, it seemed to me that this was in fact the same exact one but just a different brand and at $160 I figured I’d give it a try. This pack has the same capabilities as the remsleep being able to choose your voltage. Another plus side to this is that you can leave the heavy brick of a power inverter at home. This kit comes with quite a few plug-in adapters to accommodate a bunch of machines.
bf3cdf59a15c455366a860d5d26b1c01.png

8884a50561446364d60ebe3f2dd36d04.jpg

I want to test this system before I can recommend it so I am going to use it at home to see how long it will last. My therory is that if people are getting 5 days out of the aimTom I should expect around 7 days. I will also be charging my phone every other day on this battery as well as my smart watch and possibly an Inreach mini to see if this battery is capable of keeping me away from having to use any other power source for my electronics. This whole systems weighs in at 4 pounds 9.5 oz. Total including a dry bag. I will update when the battery runs out of power.
97ee51db6f5ac1b88fd5d3cba2697f2e.jpg

c45062fd030c92ae8d697ee426eee5c4.jpg

dd85c94cdf4f77292c4b65cde44d36e6.jpg

71c121434659a8cb66a9e7abaf982a16.jpg

bd9d5a6a449557be7d4bdc24c6953d05.jpg

Completed most of my testing on my renogy battery pack. I got 58 hours of sleep out of it with one charge of my phone as well as one charge on my watch. I was quite impressed with the run time for what it is. Not sure how it will perform at elevation but I can safely say a person could get 5 full nights while charging electronics. Hope it helps someone else in this situation
1eb46eab16e8acb3ea010b994a2abb0a.png

jswayze1

FNG
the specs listed say the Renogy is 2.8 lbs. your weight was 3.7 ish. did that include other parts or is their listed weight that far off? Thanks

Tcmo-33

FNG
That is just the battery pack. Not sure why it was heaver than listed but I believe that when I was looking, it showed somewhere else that it weighed 3.2 pounds. I verified with another scale and it came in at 4 pounds 9 oz. For the whole system.

Eldoradotim

FNG
Classified Approved
Anyone have any luck with the oral devices (mouthpieces)?

My travel cpap, Z1, stopped working and I haven't figured out a replacement yet. Ordered a SnoreRx mouthpiece to try for this season. I figure if it just works moderately well to curb snoring/apnea then it will be a good solution to maybe a few nights backpacking (not 100% backpacking, depends on situation).

jswayze1

FNG
Update on my Aimtom. 3 nights in house at 6,500 ft a few months ago, ok. 3 nights at 11,000 in truck with bedbug, campershell early August, ok. Last weekend 11,000 ft first night in truck then one night around 11,200 in Silex with nest, ok, third night, second in Silex, it only got 2 hours then out of juice...long night. Temps were in the 30's at night upper 50's to low 60's during day.

Trying Renolgy now. I'll have 3 to 4 nights in bedbug camper shell truck this weekend, 9,500 northern NM. Back to northern CO 11,000+ Backcountry for 3 to 4 nights next weekend. We'll see.

Tcmo-33

FNG
Update on my Aimtom. 3 nights in house at 6,500 ft a few months ago, ok. 3 nights at 11,000 in truck with bedbug, campershell early August, ok. Last weekend 11,000 ft first night in truck then one night around 11,200 in Silex with nest, ok, third night, second in Silex, it only got 2 hours then out of juice...long night. Temps were in the 30's at night upper 50's to low 60's during day.

Trying Renolgy now. I'll have 3 to 4 nights in bedbug camper shell truck this weekend, 9,500 northern NM. Back to northern CO 11,000+ Backcountry for 3 to 4 nights next weekend. We'll see.

Keep us posted how it works for you at elevation thanks!

jswayze1

FNG
Renology at 8,500 ft. 4 nights around freezing in truck camper shell 6.5 hours per night. 5th night back in house at 6,500 ft for 7 hours. 6th night in house for 5.5 hours and out of juice. Hopefully a solid 5-nighter. Need to notch my tag so I can quit testing, Ha!

manitou1

WKR
Full disclosure: I am a dentist. If I had sleep apnea I would be getting a snore device made at a dentists office. I do not see how people can tolerate a CPAP over what a intra-oral sleep device can provide. Somebody near you may even specialize in these types of devices if you do some research. Google: Silent nite to get an idea of what one of them can look like
Some oeople have Central Sleep Apnea... has nothing to do with obstruction.

jswayze1

FNG
Renology update. 11,000 ft guessing low 20's, bladder and ultralight Nalgene had lots of ice. After one night the 4 blue lights went to the last light with green light. Ok, disappointing, but used at home one night for 11 hours and didn't turn off...getting tired, ha. Will let it run again tonight...expect it to quit during the night but we'll see. Low Temps seem to significantly drain these batteries. Next time out I'll probably try to insulate it during day and put it in sleeping bag during night. Guessing it is a steep degrading temperature curve.

Tcmo-33

FNG
Renology update. 11,000 ft guessing low 20's, bladder and ultralight Nalgene had lots of ice. After one night the 4 blue lights went to the last light with green light. Ok, disappointing, but used at home one night for 11 hours and didn't turn off...getting tired, ha. Will let it run again tonight...expect it to quit during the night but we'll see. Low Temps seem to significantly drain these batteries. Next time out I'll probably try to insulate it during day and put it in sleeping bag during night. Guessing it is a steep degrading temperature curve.

Did you leave it in the neoprene cover?
Thanks

I used the Medistrom Pilot 24 lite last year. Small travel unit unlike some of the bigger ones posted above. Charged it every 2 nights. Could’ve probably gotten a 3rd night out of it each time. Have not subjected it to extreme cold though.

jswayze1

FNG
Neoprene cover is on.
Used again last night at home, 7 hours, still on last bar, green.

Tcmo-33

FNG
Very possible. I do agree with you on the fact that your sleeping bag around it during the day as well as at night should help. Adding some hot hands might bridge the gap

jswayze1

FNG
Started charging up the Renolgy for last hunt. Interesting, only two out of 4 bars are in the blinking range. So, frankly, I don't know. I have 1 night at 11,000 ft, sub 30 to 20 degrees. One green light but it lasted two nights at home at 6,500 ft, 68 degrees and is now charging with only two "cells" out of four to go. ???