CPW is now virtue signaling

Billinsd

WKR
There are too many off leash dogs, but too few wolves in Colorado. However, that situation will get reversed soon, it looks like.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
The fawn that was killed was within city limits in a green belt while mountain biking. The point I was making was that his dog chased down and killed a fawn. I believe that green belt is a leash required area.

I don’t stay on trails on FS or BLM when I’m hunting. Not sure how that is relevant because it wasn’t my dog.

That's a terrible outcome, but I dont see how leash laws for all (or CPW guilt tripping us into leashing when not required) will prevent this. Some folks will flat out ignore the leash laws, like your buddy did.

I think the answer is education (not virtue signaling, yes, big words again, apologies for those who get upset when their brain hurts). Instead of CPW pushing some false narrative that dogs are the #1 threat to the ecosystem, they would be better served urging the public to obey leash laws, where posted, and if they chose to let their dogs off leash where allowed, to suggest that folks spend some time training their dogs, in order to help prevent potential conflicts with people, other dogs, wildlife, etc.

My entire arguement is not "screw leash laws, they are pointless"..it is that most of us, I'm sure, dont think dogs are evil, wildlife destroying machines. I think we can all agree that part of being a responsible dog owner is not necessarily leashing them at all times (when not required), but instead having the wherewithal to ensure that your dogs are properly trained, be aware of your surroundings and make sure your dog off leash doesnt negatively impact any other person or wildlife.

I for one cant express how fun it is to watch my dogs run/play off leash and enjoy the outdoors as much as I do, but then again, I make it a point to avoid people in the backcountry and be a responsible dog owner. If I see someone else out on a trail or in the woods, I recall my dogs (they wear an e-collar) and I either leash them until the folks are passed, or until the folks express they are ok with dogs. I have met more than a few folks with dogs while hiking and it's never turned into anything more than our dogs running/playing together and getting some energy out.

Let's not let a few bad apples ruin it for everyone, and certainly not let CPW play us all for idiots and try to convince us that the only way to be responsible is to leash your dog 100% of the time, that is simply BS.

Azone

WKR
There are too many off leash dogs, but too few wolves in Colorado. However, that situation will get reversed soon, it looks like.

When the wolves move in and start killing dogs, the problem of unleashed dogs will most definitely be self correcting. The bright side is with all the unruly and unleashed mutts running around, it does provide an alternate food source for the wolves. I wonder how many enviro quacks will change their opinions on the cute and cuddly wolves when they walk up on their dogs scattered remains? Interesting times are upon us.

Billinsd

WKR
I think the answer is education (not virtue signaling, yes, big words again, apologies for those who get upset when their brain hurts). Instead of CPW pushing some false narrative that dogs are the #1 threat to the ecosystem, they would be better served urging the public to obey leash laws, where posted, and if they chose to let their dogs off leash where allowed.
CPW is mostly guilt tripping and to a lesser extent virtue signaling. It seems subtle and innocent enough. I'm constantly bombarded with guilt trip-virtue signaling non stop in California. It still annoys me, because it goes against my core. Here is a "Bill" rewrite,

"This is a leash, and it's the most basic tool for controlling a dog. There are other tools, like whistles, voice commands, and electronic collars. Many dog owners take their dogs to the forest for exercise, hunting, and companionship. During the winter wild animals are most vulnerable to death and getting chased around by uncontrolled dogs puts undue stress on them. Please have control of your dogs in the forest". Bill your honorary CPW Public Relations Director in San Diego.

Last edited:

eric1115

WKR
At the risk of wading into a bottomless mud pit here, I would offer some input from a central ID town where there are probably more dogs than there are children.

Early spring (like right now) when there are some south facing hillsides clearing off, people get antsy for some dirt on their boots and go hiking where the elk are trying to get to the feed that is opening up in the same spots. People walking leashed dogs will push deer and elk around some, but I have personally watched far more unleashed dogs chase deer and elk and cause them to burn a bunch of energy when they have none to spare.

Winter weakens, and spring kills. We get a couple feet of snow in March, and the dog walkers go back to their xc skis or stay inside. The elk that needed that feed and rest when it was available for those weeks in Feb are now in trouble.

Everyone thinks they have good dogs. Just like everyone thinks they are good drivers. CPW said what they did for the same reason that the state transportation department sets speed limits instead of saying everyone can drive at whatever speed they can safely control their vehicle.

Azone

WKR
At the risk of wading into a bottomless mud pit here, I would offer some input from a central ID town where there are probably more dogs than there are children.

Early spring (like right now) when there are some south facing hillsides clearing off, people get antsy for some dirt on their boots and go hiking where the elk are trying to get to the feed that is opening up in the same spots. People walking leashed dogs will push deer and elk around some, but I have personally watched far more unleashed dogs chase deer and elk and cause them to burn a bunch of energy when they have none to spare.

Winter weakens, and spring kills. We get a couple feet of snow in March, and the dog walkers go back to their xc skis or stay inside. The elk that needed that feed and rest when it was available for those weeks in Feb are now in trouble.

Everyone thinks they have good dogs. Just like everyone thinks they are good drivers. CPW said what they did for the same reason that the state transportation department sets speed limits instead of saying everyone can drive at whatever speed they can safely control their vehicle.

You can't fight emotional opinions with valid facts or logic. The internet just cant handle that sort of thing.

The best part about this thread is the people defending their disobedient dogs, probably the same people that can't make their kids behave either

So true...same people that tell their kids..."I'm going to count down from 100 and you better be over here or else..."

Not far from the pitbull owner who has their dog sniffing your shin while saying, "its ok their friendly."

Its been pretty awesome seeing the dog sweater nation represent in the forum...I had no idea so many Roksliders pushed their dogs in those little doggy strollers...demanding that their "furry friend" has rights...I can just picture it now...

Remember everyone, you need to use the proper pronouns when referring to your animal so they are not offended...they are not your "pet"...they are your "companion animal."

Last edited:

Okhotnik

WKR
Interesting "statistics". 90% plus of the problem dogs that I have seen have been large aggressive dogs actually on leash lunging at hikers and other dogs alike on the trail, with an owner who can barely control them, even with the leash.

For those who don't have the will or spend the time to train their dogs, or who think electric collars are cruel, perhaps their dogs should never be off leash?

Meanwhile, I plan on keeping my dog off leash running right ahead of me, where deer barely move off the trail as we go by, no differently than the moose and moose calves that have lived in my yard in the winter through early summer when the wolves first arrived in the foothills.

Maybe people with dogs who aren't under control should be ticketed instead, regardless of leash status?

I ve always hike with my bird dogs off leash. I keep a leash in my pockets and use e collars on them and never let out of my sight. I try and hike on state property away from people.

I hate the clueless women who adopt pit bulls or pit bull mixes from shelters and try and save them and take them hiking off leash and cant even control them on leash. Always carry a good knife.

Okhotnik

WKR
So true...same people that tell their kids..."I'm going to count down from 100 and you better be over here or else..."

Not far from the pitbull owner who has their dog sniffing your shin while saying, "its ok their friendly."

Its been pretty awesome seeing the dog sweater nation represent in the forum...I had no idea so many Roksliders pushed their dogs in those little doggy strollers...demanding that their "furry friend" has rights...I can just picture it now...

Remember everyone, you need to use the proper pronouns when referring to your animal so they are not offended...they are not your "pet"...they are your "companion animal."

No now known as "fur babies"

3forks

WKR
Ask me what it was like moving from Montana with 3 big running English Setter bird dogs to the People’s Republic of Boulder County.

You‘re not your dog’s “owner” in Boulder - you’re their “guardian”, and to run your dogs off leash on Boulder County properties you have to sit through a voice and sight class and then buy a tag your dog wears to show compliance.

Also, just pretend you don’t hear someone or speak english if someone on the trail wants to know what is around your dog’s neck.... “Oh, an e-collar? You mean shock collar, right? Those things are cruel! People like you shouldn’t own an animal if you think that abusing it by shocking it is acceptable!”

Ask me what it was like moving from Montana with 3 big running English Setter bird dogs to the People’s Republic of Boulder County.

You‘re not your dog’s “owner” in Boulder - you’re their “guardian”, and to run your dogs off leash on Boulder County properties you have to sit through a voice and sight class and then buy a tag your dog wears to show compliance.

Also, just pretend you don’t hear someone or speak english if someone on the trail wants to know what is around your dog’s neck.... “Oh, an e-collar? You mean shock collar, right? Those things are cruel! People like you shouldn’t own an animal if you think that abusing it by shocking it is acceptable!”

Would you prefer leash laws on all Boulder county land?

Or, could you imagine the shit show if everyone and anyone could run their dogs around chautauqua, for example, without weeding out the riff raff?

3forks

WKR
Would you prefer leash laws on all Boulder county land?

Or, could you imagine the shit show if everyone and anyone could run their dogs around chautauqua, for example, without weeding out the riff raff?
The class doesn’t weed out the riff raff.

People with common sense and well trained dogs aren’t the issue. For those people, the class is pointless. It’s the people who can’t be bothered to train their dogs or who have no regard for anyone else that are the issue. Whether those people sat through a class or not, they and their dogs would behave the same way.

The class doesn’t weed out the riff raff.

People with common sense and well trained dogs aren’t the issue. For those people, the class is pointless. It’s the people who can’t be bothered to train their dogs or who have no regard for anyone else that are the issue. Whether those people sat through a class or not, they and their dogs would behave the same way.

But...only people with ambition and dedication sit though the class, which alone weeds out half of the dogs in Boulder county, which in turn weeds out much of the riff raff.

We’re lucky, to have the open spaces and county parks that we do, to run dogs....off leash!

Complain not my friend, and if you bump into another that’s ignorantly opposed to e-collars, a simple human demonstration would surly be eye opening.