CPW seeks input, allocation of licenses

In combination with recent crowding issues and lower success, a couple of pod casts on Wyoming, it isn’t much further and Well worth it. Social media is interesting, be curious how it goes;-)

Also I typically hit WY every 3-4 yrs. Sounds like it is worth a more regular visit. Chance to expand the areas I have hunted.
I doubt you've been you act this was some new revelation that he posted. Your takes on Colorado are also laughable. I'm sure your "social media" status will have a huge impact on Wyoming

Eyeman

FNG
Not arguing but just throwing this out there.
Dont forget that a lot of NR purchase OTC tags and hire outfitters and pay Hunt on private land.
Think of the dent that would be on a "local economy" as well.
Im sure the outfitters and landowners may have a different view of things.

Eyeman

FNG
Yeah because outfitters and landowners are starving to death in states with a 20% NR cap or lower
Like I said Orion, I just threw that out for thought. I got no answer for it.
I think they would have something to say about it or want some sort of different structure.
They probably wont think kindly about a direct hit on their income. Especially in places like NW Colorado.

Yeah but they are also screwed when the herds are so small or the numbers get so bad that they have to shut down or give up permits

Eyeman

FNG
That may be so. I ain't disagreeing.
I am sure in the NW area and others they already have that problem with Deer. Elk I think not so much yet.
It probably will affect the Elk in a few years when/if the wolves get more established.
The really big ranches that get RFW tags probably won't/don't care at this point.
The medium and smaller ranches that depend on the income from NR and repeat business will probably have something to say about about a major reduction in NR tags. I don't think many residents vs NR pay for those type of Hunts and services.
All I am saying is they will probably have something to say about it. Or want a certain amount of private land tag allocation.
Any change will positively affect some people and negatively affect some people.

I live in a state that has a split. I get it.
If you draw a NR Elk tag in my state its cost like 1200 bucks maybe more. If Colorado started charging more I bet people will still pay it.
You live there and see more than what I see. I would guess you are probably more concerned about the Deer herd at this point as I am with my state.

MTNBOYJD

FNG
Being a lifelong resident of Colorado, here's my thoughts. This state is becoming one of those "It's a nice place to visit but, I wouldn't want to live there." We live here and my wife and I only draw a tag every 2-3 years. I'm ok with that because we only hunt a limited unit. It was very frustrating though when tags we put in for show up on the leftover list. As a resident, I feel we get the short end of the stick. I'm ok with OTC tags only for residents. Keep in mind this state has an ever increasing population, one of the highest rates in the country. Not to
mention the taxes we pay. Outfitters will still have plenty of hunters coming in even with a draw only tag. They like the unlimited OTC tags because the constant parade of trucks and ATVs just push the elk onto their private.
Thanks to COVID everybody and their brother discovered the great outdoors. I don't blame them but, show some respect for the land. Trash left on the ground, roads rutted from joy riders etc. We went to a campsite last year where a "hunter" dumped his holding tanks on the ground and left. They complain the most when areas and roads get closed. Too bad CPW hasn't found a way to make money from the marijuana industry. They should have to buy a stamp for something. Lol. That's my rambling.

3forks

WKR
I agree with the previous poster who mentioned that Colorado is “a nice place to visit but, I wouldn't want to live there.” Most of the recreational opportunities that draw people to this state have become marginalized by the increase in people/traffic and it’s straining the resources.

Everything about living in Colorado seems to have changed, or is changing except for how CPW manages our herds and tag allocation. CPW is just too slow to react, or hamstrung on what are obvious issues.

arock

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the previous poster who mentioned that Colorado is “a nice place to visit but, I wouldn't want to live there.” Most of the recreational opportunities that draw people to this state have become marginalized by the increase in people/traffic and it’s straining the resources.

Everything about living in Colorado seems to have changed, or is changing except for how CPW manages our herds and tag allocation. CPW is just too slow to react, or hamstrung on what are obvious issues.
Still better than Illinois. A lot of the areas we camped or hiked around in weren't egregiously crowded or beat up except maybe opening weekend up at buffalo pass and the lake there because of the holiday. That was probably the only time I was like shoot, this is gonna be a mess. I guess it depends on where you go and when but we haven't been too impacted by the masses yet.

LRHunter

FNG
As a resident I would gladly pay $600 to limit capacity and extend some seasons.
You can always "buck up" and buy a NR tag to ensure one of us flatlanders can't come hunt.
I don’t think the revenue is needed, too many other ways. The new car registration cost for example. Recreational users are starting to complain with the crowds being too large to safely use the resource in the fall. That will get attention and changes will be made.
New car registrations won't keep the motels occupied during hunting season. It also won't buy groceries, occupy tables in restaurants, and makes purchases in liquor stores. Out-of-state hunters generate a lot of revenue in small towns that don't thrive from skiers etc. The elk herds are strong and if you are seeing way too many out-of-state hunters where you hunt I would recommend buying either a gym membership, better boots or both.

CoStick

WKR
You can always "buck up" and buy a NR tag to ensure one of us flatlanders can't come hunt.

New car registrations won't keep the motels occupied during hunting season. It also won't buy groceries, occupy tables in restaurants, and makes purchases in liquor stores. Out-of-state hunters generate a lot of revenue in small towns that don't thrive from skiers etc. The elk herds are strong and if you are seeing way too many out-of-state hunters where you hunt I would recommend buying either a gym membership, better boots or both.
Colorado just had their 2 busiest summer seasons ever in the mountain, obviously winter is busy as well. I don’t see too many nonresidents, I just see all the trash left behind, no true Coloradan is drinking cans of beer/ tomato juice mixed. I see muzzleloader shooting archer, we see the SxS and other trails through areas they aren’t allowed. I also see change coming.

LRHunter

FNG
Colorado just had their 2 busiest summer seasons ever in the mountain, obviously winter is busy as well. I don’t see too many nonresidents, I just see all the trash left behind, no true Coloradan is drinking cans of beer/ tomato juice mixed. I see muzzleloader shooting archer, we see the SxS and other trails through areas they aren’t allowed. I also see change comi

LRHunter

FNG
I will have to disagree as I have hunted with CO residents before and they are the worst about trespassing, littering, and driving vehicles where they shouldn't to recover an animal. I've also seen them shoot animals they didn't have tags for as their kid's youth tag would fit the bill. I removed myself from these people as I don't agree with their methods.

You are labeling people based on "your assumption" and opinions. Not all OOS hunters are bad. I actually try to tread lighter as a NR and set good examples.

If all non-residents hunters stopped coming to the state. Revenue would tank not only from a conservation standpoint but for tax revenue also. Some small towns' businesses would go broke. For example game processing, taxidermy, and sporting goods stores.

Last edited:
After the absolute shit show that I experienced during 2nd season in GMU 12,23 and 24, I am all for some sort of limits to tags. Holy freaking moly Batman. What I saw was disheartening and downright dangerous in some places.

ColoHtr

FNG
I will have to disagree as I have hunted with CO residents before and they are the worst about trespassing, littering, and driving vehicles where they shouldn't to recover an animal. I've also seen them shoot animals they didn't have tags for as their kid's youth tag would fit the bill. I removed myself from these people as I don't agree with their methods.

You are labeling people based on "your assumption" and opinions. Not all OOS hunters are bad. I actually try to tread lighter as a NR and set good examples.

If all non-residents hunters stopped coming to the state. Revenue would tank not only from a conservation standpoint but for tax revenue also. Some small towns' businesses would go broke. For example game processing, taxidermy, and sporting goods stores.
You obviously don't live here and haven't seen the explosion in year round recreation in the Colorado mountains. It's everywhere, not just in the resort towns. Limiting NR licenses and raising the prices isn't going to change that. While this argument may have been valid 20 years ago, I do not think it is reality anymore. My two cents.

Mosby

WKR
This is from 2018 and the revenue has gone up since then from changes in licenses etc. The part where non-residents spend almost twice as much per day as residents seemed important to this discussion.

$1.8 BILLION A YEAR

Colorado Parks and Wildlife hired Southwick Associates to quantify the economic contributions of outdoor recreation in Colorado, including hunting.

The study found that hunters and fishermen generate $1.8 billion every year for Colorado’s economy, up from $845 million in 2004. That supports 21,000 jobs across Colorado.

It may or may not surprise you to learn that the Colorado Parks and Wildlife found that almost as many people want to watch wildlife as they want to shoot it. Wildlife watching generated $1.2 billion and supports 12,800 jobs.

Big-game hunting is Colorado’s most popular form of hunting among both residents and visitors.

Across Colorado, big-game hunters spend 1,490,818 days in the field, the study found. Almost half of that, 671,700, or 45 percent, is in the northwest region, which includes Eagle County and most of the Central Rockies resort region.

Colorado residents account for 66.8 percent of those big-game hunting days. However, visitors spend much more money per day, nearly twice as much, the Colorado Parks and Wildlife found.

Hunters also spend more per day than non-motorized snowsports participants: $253.67 a day for hunters and $118.32 for non-motorized snowsports participants.