Crazy Creek camp chair for glassing?

Bazookas

FNG
Going on my first elk hunt in September. I’ve got a 2 Oz Z-seat for glassing but was considering taking my Crazy Creek camp chair instead (~19oz). Question is for those that know, would it be worth the extra weight to have a chair with a back for a 5 day hunt or does the z seat do the job well enough?

feanor

WKR
Crazy creeks are nice and allow you sit back and give your back a break- but with a weight and size penalty. Otherwise find a back scratch rock with the z seat.
I rarely take my crazy creek because of the size personally. I usually make a comfy enough spot to glass and don’t miss it.

This is my personal opinion...

If you want to sit on the ground, save 19 ounces and bring your Z-seat while using your backpack (Or log/rock) for back support (as required). If you want to get off the ground, grab a tripod or a Helinox (or knock off).

Outside of sheep (excluding desert bighorn) or mountain goat, I always have a stool and/or my Helinox with me. Both weigh less than the Crazy Creek chair you referenced.

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
Well everyone is different. I personally use the crazy creek power lounger. 29 ounces. I look at it as more than just a seat. It is a 3/4 length supplement to a pad, emergency pad, or ground protection for a pad. A great place to lay out gear, wind break for a stove, etc.

It can be used anywhere you want...you don't have to find the perfect spot or make one...ground slope doesn't matter, soft ground doesn't matter, rocks...etc.... The bottom extension can also be left "unfolded" and have 2 layers under your bum. I ain't a youngin' anymore so the whole log, rock, backpack suck for me. With the crazy creek I can sit longer, more comfortable, quieter, and with less movement. It can adjust to multiple different positions.

Finally it is real handy for those "emergency" afternoon naps.........I'll carry the weight.

Poser

WKR
The crazy creek can be a little sub optimal for getting into position around a tripod. In terms of pure glassing function, I can work with a butt pad and a backpack a little better. That being said, I often do carry a Crazy Creek and often do glass from it as it can be an overall more comfortable option.

PNWGATOR

WKR
I use one a lot and like it. I also have a Helinox and a butt pad. I use them all, just depends on what weight I’m willing to pack. If you’re willing to pack the weight, you’ll be glad you brought it.

I nestle my back against my upright packframe and sit on an inflatable seat. The packframe is the perfect backrest and the inflatable seat pad is light, compact, and very portable.

sr80

WKR
i love the crazy creek chair, but ya heavy and bulky. Ive never brought it on a trip. Id like to find a way to lighten it up one of these days.

D S 319

WKR
I am a fan. If I’m worried about an additional 17oz I will lose that in the first mile walk anyways from sweating.

Mt Al

WKR
IMHO, not worth the extra weight and the Crazy Creek hasn't helped in a glassing-specific role for me. A simple glassing pad OTOH weighs way less obviously and covers 90% of what I'm looking for: keeping me bum comfortable during long sits.

Many moons ago I knew the Crazy Creek crew in Red Lodge. Loved their slogan "Don't just do something, sit there!". Great people.

Poser

WKR
I use one a lot and like it. I also have a Helinox and a butt pad. I use them all, just depends on what weight I’m willing to pack. If you’re willing to pack the weight, you’ll be glad you brought it.

Same. I’ll often carry the Helinox on backpack fishing trips and/or backpack climbing trips. Basically anytime I’m not carrying optics, I’m fine with carrying it. Otherwise, it’s the crazy creek or butt pad + backpack depending on the trip length and weight. I’m never worried about the weight penalty on an overnight or 2 nights. 5-7 days, I start prioritizing.

Hunthigh1

WKR
I am convinced the crazy creek gives me a focus advantage when glassing for mule deer. Scouting days and September hunts are very long and sitting with comfort allows me to stay focused on the task at hand.

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
I am convinced the crazy creek gives me a focus advantage when glassing for mule deer. Scouting days and September hunts are very long and sitting with comfort allows me to stay focused on the task at hand.
This is where I see the potential value. More physical comfort means I can get my mind right while glassing. If my back is bugging me after an hour I start shifting around, taking breaks, stretching, etc...

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Ever glassed for brown/grizzly bear in the spring? Makes those Sept mule deer glassing days seem like a walk in the park. Sixteen hours of sitting on your ass on a grizzly hill with 10x binos constantly glued to your eyes is rough. Even still, I don't bother with a Crazy Creek chair, because there's better, easier and cheaper ways to setup in comfort.

Hunthigh1

WKR
Ever glassed for brown/grizzly bear in the spring? Makes those Sept mule deer glassing days seem like a walk in the park. Sixteen hours of sitting on your ass on a grizzly hill with 10x binos constantly glued to your eyes is rough. Even still, I don't bother with a Crazy Creek chair, because there's better, easier and cheaper ways to setup in comfort.
Alaska endless daylight is brutal! What “inflatable seat” do you use? The Stuff I hunt is very rocky, lots of sharp granite so not sure that route would work here for long….

Alaska endless daylight is brutal! What “inflatable seat” do you use? The Stuff I hunt is very rocky, lots of sharp granite so not sure that route would work here for long….

I created a zippered naugahyde pouch to put my inflatable seat inside, so that rocks, twigs and especially cactus spines can't penetrate it. I should patent the thing (seriously).

TN2shot07

WKR
I’ll pay the penalty for my crazy creek, I can lose it somewhere else. I’ve had some back problems and I can sit still way longer with the extra support. For just a seat I like the mountain couch from outdoorsman’s

manitou1

WKR
Yeah, I never go scouting or hunting without my crazy creek.
Turkey, pronghorn, elk, whitetail and mulies... my CC is with me.