credit card purchases

JUST SEEN WHERE THE CARD COMPANIES ARE GOING TO START MONITORING FIREARM AND FIREARMS RELATED PURCHASES, For the purpose of reporting those transactions to the friendly federal goverment.

hunterjmj

WKR
It's been a couple years but my card was flagged for a purchase at either Midway or Brownells. I called them and the lady I spoke with said it was happening more often. Can't even remember what I ordered.

MattB

WKR
You just saw what?

It's been a couple years but my card was flagged for a purchase at either Midway or Brownells. I called them and the lady I spoke with said it was happening more often. Can't even remember what I ordered.
That wasn’t this. This relates to the merchant card industry creating a separate MCC code for firearm and ammo retailers.

It will be interesting to see how this gets implemented. Will it just be pure gun stores or will the likes of Cabelas/Bass Pro/Scheels and even Walmart as well? Guessing just pure play.

Rich M

WKR
Far as i know, they been doing this for years.

Cant cite a source but some guy buys a gun, BATF shows up and wants to see said gun. Was kind of recent. Was an online discussion of how you should just roll over for LEO and govt agencies.

Erict

WKR
JUST SEEN WHERE THE CARD COMPANIES ARE GOING TO START MONITORING FIREARM AND FIREARMS RELATED PURCHASES, For the purpose of reporting those transactions to the friendly federal goverment.

Please quote your source "for the purpose of reporting those transactions to the friendly goverment" (government).

From my reading, the purpose appears to be in order to create more detailed records for credit card companies and retailers: "The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) voted in favor of creating a merchant code for firearms stores... Merchant codes are four-digit codes that categorize retailers across all industries; until now, gun purchases had been classified under “miscellaneous retail stores” or “sporting goods stores."

The real danger is that these companies will find it easier to restrict or prohibit purchases from these categories. You might not like it, but if you go back and read all of the fine print on your CONTRACT with your CC company you have given up a lot of privacy and consented to them sharing alot of your info with others.

Here in NY, they banned online purchase of ammo, so if your point was "piece by piece", I agree 100%

Last edited:
OP
L
Theres a article on the business insider site today about it. As to the friendly government statement take it for what its worth yo you. Just one small step in many to prohibit guns and ammo. If one thinks just because the only hunt you would be safe forme thats foolish thinking, the friendly government wants them all there goal is a total take away. Sure transactions of all kinds with credit cards were and are tracked but one has to wonder why all of a sudden there is a goal especially for firearms and related items.

wyosteve

WKR
I guess I don't understand the concern. A person already has to fill out a 4457 so the information is transmitted directly to the Feds.

def90

WKR
Far as i know, they been doing this for years.

Cant cite a source but some guy buys a gun, BATF shows up and wants to see said gun. Was kind of recent. Was an online discussion of how you should just roll over for LEO and govt agencies.

There is reporting of form 4473's and they look at anyone that buys X number of firearms in X period of time or if there are more than 5 firearms on a single 4473. They have not tracked credit card sales.

dtrkyman

WKR
No forms for buying ammo, well maybe in Commifornia? Cash is still easy enough to get for now. Wonder if a debit card would get checked?

def90

WKR
I guess I don't understand the concern. A person already has to fill out a 4457 so the information is transmitted directly to the Feds.

The only info transferred to the fed with a 4473 is that an individual is purchasing a firearm. Serial numbers, makes and models are not transmitted. Those records stay with the FFL until the FFL closes down at which time they have to hand over their books to the ATF.

The credit card issue is the first step in allowing the credit card companies to begin to deny certain sale types. It also opens up the door for the potential down the road to deny general service to anyone that has a firearms related purchase on their record, or maybe increase interest rates of people with firearms purchases and so on. Basically the beginning of a social credit score system.

Folks are way too concerned about government overreach and are missing the real threat.

The biggest risk is pressure from activists to no longer allow purchases involving guns or ammo when using a credit card. It only takes one successful lawsuit and things will literally change overnight. Combine that with the increased pressure to do away with cash and the second amendment is going to die a premature death. Other than bartering you won't have a way to legally buy anything related to firearms.

The 2nd amendment is not being infringed by the government but by the private industry. It's a brilliant move and a massive win for the left. It sucks but brilliant nonetheless. The left won't have to do anything other than be patient; as supplies (ammo/powder/bullet/primer) get used up, we will no longer be able to replace them. There will be a point that most folks will have a bunch of pretty decorations that will only be good for collecting dust.

Rich M

WKR
The only info transferred to the fed with a 4473 is that an individual is purchasing a firearm. Serial numbers, makes and models are not transmitted. Those records stay with the FFL until the FFL closes down at which time they have to hand over their books to the ATF.

The credit card issue is the first step in allowing the credit card companies to begin to deny certain sale types. It also opens up the door for the potential down the road to deny general service to anyone that has a firearms related purchase on their record, or maybe increase interest rates of people with firearms purchases and so on. Basically the beginning of a social credit score system.
The 4473 thing you said is what i thought but does not jive with what i saw reported.

It is amazing what we let them do. If all gun owners stopped using say bank of america for stuff like this, then it would stop right quick.

The 4473 thing you said is what i thought but does not jive with what i saw reported.

It is amazing what we let them do. If all gun owners stopped using say bank of america for stuff like this, then it would stop right quick.
You are missing the point. This has nothing to do with a bank; it is much larger than that. Banks are just card issuers; the real control is on the credit card brand side.

If a merchant wants to accept AmEx, Discover, MasterCard, Visa, etc, then merchant has to accept their terms. If those terms are anti-gun, then it severely limits a merchant's ability to do business. Expect the next step to be restrictions on the merchant services side (ex: Elavon); could be flat out restrictions or significantly higher fees. Credit card issuers (ex: BoA) can also get involved and add more restrictions.

This information (gun-related) will be readily shared, typically for a price, with anyone that wants it. Would not surprise me for this information to work its way to insurance companies which will lead to higher health and home owner premiums (at a minimum). Do expect government (all levels) to have access to it; just like the DNA testing sites that government gets to use without a warrant (yet another end-run around a right).

At the moment it looks like Discover is the lone holdout for a major company. But they'll assimilate soon enough.

It only takes a couple of "whales" to be activists for change and the "krill" cannot do a damn thing to stop it.

Rich M

WKR
I had an issue w amex once and have never used em again. Same for a given bank. Not a lot of power in 1 krill.

If enough krill swim in another ocean the whale will starve.

Just need enough krill to care. That’s the problem.

Elections have consequences is a statement i agree with and think also contributes to this kind of talk/problem.