Packing materials for firearms for shipment?

taskswap

WKR
Hey all,

I'm about to downsize my firearms and list a rifle plus some ammo for sale. I didn't keep the original packaging and none of the boxes we have seem to be really well suited to this purpose. Any suggestions on protecting and boxing a firearm for this? Should I try to get some of those microbead drying packets to include or is that overkill for a one-off?

Wapiti151

WKR
UPS store will sell you a box that you could use. I've wrapped in bubble wrap really well, put in box and then filled with add'l bubble wrap to ensure firearm is not bouncing around in there. A lot of FFLs will package it up for you too, but easiest way is to just drop off to UPS customer center.

If I am doing ammo, I'd ship separate and directly to purchaser.

What are you selling?

Wapiti151

WKR
A $40 Plano GunGuard hardcase always seems like cheap insurance to me, if I'm shipping a $700+ rifle. I don't mind eating the extra cost for the peace of mind.
another good idea here...I've received guns like this and am always appreciative.

OP
taskswap

taskswap

WKR
A lightly-used (maybe 100 rounds through it) Browning X-Bolt in 30-06 plus a ton (20+ boxes) of ammo. It was meant to be a hand-me-down but I've had a minor stroke and my kids aren't into hunting so there's no sense sitting on it.

I assume the ammo has to go UPS ground with hazmat of some kind?

Wapiti151

WKR
sorry to hear that! Sounds like a great rifle though. Yes to UPS ground, cannot go air.

I'd print the label at home and slap it on there, then just drop it off to them...no questions asked

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
A $40 Plano GunGuard hardcase always seems like cheap insurance to me, if I'm shipping a $700+ rifle. I don't mind eating the extra cost for the peace of mind.

I can find cheap store brand plastic cases as cheap as $10. I buy these and then box it. I feel like sending a rifle case only makes it a bit of a target.

Go to a local gun store and ask them if you can have a couple boxes and packing. I just shipped 2 rifles in the last 30 days, and my local store was happy to help. They usually just toss the boxes and packing materials in the dumpster. Try to double box the rifle if you can and make sure to include a copy of your driver's license. Also, make sure all previous labels and bar code stickers are removed or completely blacked out with a sharpie. You CANNOT ship ammo with the rifle, it must be shipped separately in a box with the limited quantities hazmat placard.

1707257863124.png

EDIT: Do the gun store a solid and buy a box of shells or something for the convenience.

Last edited:
A lightly-used (maybe 100 rounds through it) Browning X-Bolt in 30-06 plus a ton (20+ boxes) of ammo. It was meant to be a hand-me-down but I've had a minor stroke and my kids aren't into hunting so there's no sense sitting on it.

I assume the ammo has to go UPS ground with hazmat of some kind?
Rifle must go USPS. Ammo must go UPS with the symbol above. You can print these off at home and stick them on with clear packing tape.

OP
taskswap

taskswap

WKR
I guess for a case I could get a Harbor Freight one? They're cheap, just heavy...

I've recently run out of "gun boxes" from gunsmiths shipping me rifles and going to need to get creative. Used to be able to get cheap plastic hard cases from amazon that get shipped in a box that are perfect. Last i looked they weren't as economical and hard to justify just for the use of shipping something. Basically $38 just for your packaging, something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005Z3RC0...p_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWxfdGhlbWF0aWM

I still have a handful of the cheap plastic cases but not boxes to put them in so I think the next guns I sell will go in the plastic case and then just get wrapped with random disassembled cardboard boxes and taped up. I did this to ship a snowboard once and it worked fine. Example: https://www.agnarchy.com/burrito-wrap-pack-ship-snowboard/

A guy could just buy gun boxes to use as well. You can ship cheaper if you get a shorter slightly wider box and then take the rifle out of the stock so the box isn't as long.

Last edited:

Wapiti151

WKR
Rifle must go USPS. Ammo must go UPS with the symbol above. You can print these off at home and stick them on with clear packing tape.
This is not true. Every firearm I have personally sold/shipped has been shipped via UPS. UPS will ship a firearm without any issue or questions as long as you provide them with a copy of the FFL you are sending to and use a customer center at the UPS facility for drop off. UPS stores will not ship firearms, UPS customer centers certainly will.

I try to use an FFL when possible simply because the UPS customer center is almost an hour away, but if you have one close...UPS is a good option.

KenLee

WKR
Find a gunshop that does transfers and ask them to save packaging for incoming used rifle shipments.
They just throw it away and are usually happy to help.

Macintosh

WKR
Just get ready for the inevitable fluctuating shipping restrictions…every ups hub and usps office seems to make up their own regs, so be aware that regardless of how “correct” someone may be in saying you can do “X”, it is entirely normal that your local ups hub or post office has other ideas.

For a relatively expensive gun I go the hard case route, cardboard boxes can fold right in half and dont provide much protection depending on the damage. That, or have your local gunshop package and ship for you. Unless you are motivated and have tons of time it can be better in some cases to settle for a little lower price and sell it locally to avoid the hassle. Sucks, but it is getting to be a real hassle in a lot of places.

Just get ready for the inevitable fluctuating shipping restrictions…every ups hub and usps office seems to make up their own regs, so be aware that regardless of how “correct” someone may be in saying you can do “X”, it is entirely normal that your local ups hub or post office has other ideas.

For a relatively expensive gun I go the hard case route, cardboard boxes can fold right in half and dont provide much protection depending on the damage. That, or have your local gunshop package and ship for you. Unless you are motivated and have tons of time it can be better in some cases to settle for a little lower price and sell it locally to avoid the hassle. Sucks, but it is getting to be a real hassle in a lot of places.
My local post office just told me this.
I shipped some arrowshafts in a Macmillan stock box and she taped it up everywhere.Said depending on we’re it’s going if they see something gun related you never know what may happen.
It doesn’t happen here.

yfarm

WKR
Bought a rifle off this site, received it and the crown of the barrel was sticking out the end of the box. Fortunately not damaged and shoots fine. Buy a cheap plano case and make your own box with an appliance box and a glue gun.

OP
taskswap

taskswap

WKR
Thanks, all, this was great advice. The hard-side case linked above is pretty cheap and seems like an easy option to add some confidence for the buyer. Now I need to go count ammo boxes. :) I'm kind of a hoarder, and I don't even remember what all I have to list... :D