Crispi boot for September bow hunting

kythunter

FNG
Going to bow hunt New Mexico Elk in September (first time Elk hunting). I have a pair of Crispi Lapponia (2 yrs old) and Altitude (new). Also have a pair of Danner Pronghorns but they are not that comfortable.
Has anyone wore either of these Crispi's in New Mexico?
Tried on a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extreme uninsulated and they felt great but didn't pull the trigger. I'm thinking the Crispi's should cover me during this hunt. Any recommendations appreciated.

I haven't been in New Mexico, but I have worn the Crispi Lapponia in the mountains of Western Wyoming for two years now and have been super impressed. I wouldn't hesitate taking and wearing the Crispi boots you have to New Mexico.

OP
K

kythunter

FNG
My concern isn't warm feet it's if a hiking style hunting boot will do the job in the mountains. I've never hunted New Mexico. I don't really like a tall hunting boot so that's why I'm leaning towards the Crispi's. Maybe I'm over thinking it.

PVHunter

Lil-Rokslider
As others have already said, I think that you'll be fine with what you have.

Fetty Wapiti

Lil-Rokslider
Crispis have a wider last than most Italian boots. Also lack much of a heal pocket. Get a boot that fits your foot and you will be fine. Crispis work amazing for some and terrible for others.

tdoublev

FNG
My concern isn't warm feet it's if a hiking style hunting boot will do the job in the mountains. I've never hunted New Mexico. I don't really like a tall hunting boot so that's why I'm leaning towards the Crispi's. Maybe I'm over thinking it.
I can’t comment on the boots you’ve asked about, but keep in mind that the ‘hunting’ boot is a marketing ploy. Hiking boots are hunting boots. Wear whatever will allow you to get around the mountain most comfortably (I.e, not wear you out and not give you blisters). If that’s tennis shoes - go that route! (Seriously - but that likely isn’t your answer). And since you’re doing a September hunt, you don’t need to worry about insulated boots which would the primary reason to deviate from ‘hiking’ boots.

j_volt

WKR
I hate Crispi Lapponias
I hate Crispi Thors
I need a 12.5 in Kenetrek Mountain Extremes (which doesn’t exist)
I love Schnees Beartooth 0g

If you love your Lapponias, go with them! Don’t leave fish to find fish.

I have realized that it’s different strokes for different folks on boots. My best advice is to try to get as good of a deal as possible on the buy so you can resell if necessary and not lose too much.

I haven’t worn the altitudes in New Mexico specifically but I do like the two pairs of Crispi boots I have (Nevada gtx and altitudes) which seam to cover the major temperature ranges I hunt in (with gators in the pack). Unless I am in really steep stuff I find the altitudes more comfortable and my feet sweat less on longer hikes. Temperature and moisture would probably be the deciding factor for me unless your altitudes are uncomfortable currently for you. I have about 70 miles on mine but they were good out of the box for my feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oldirtdog

FNG
You’ll be fine with the Crispi’s you have. I backpack hunted the Gila 15 days last year for first archery elk in Crispi Altitudes. No issues. Boots did their job in rain/creek crossings and nasty brush/steep rocky country. Highly recommend pairing them with gaiters. Recent burn areas had some nasty stuff in there with big thorns, I think it was Mt. Laurel. Lots of green up due to the heavy rain last year.

you will be fine. both are good but I'd pick the Altitude over the lapponia. The Lapponia's wallowed out over time with me. the Altitudes have not and I have about wore them out. Be sure to take both pairs just incase. good luck on your hunt.

Jhall12

FNG
Has anyone used the Altitude in seasons other than early season archery? Only going into my second season hunting out west. Want to upgrade boots. Love the feel of the altitudes but concerned with whether they will get me into later season hunts also. Thanks

Not sure if your talking desert second season or mountains with potentially heavy snowfall. The altitudes breath really well on the top of your foot. Never been in close to freezing temps with them yet but suspect they would be cold even with a thick sock.

Jhall12

FNG
Not sure if your talking desert second season or mountains with potentially heavy snowfall. The altitudes breath really well on the top of your foot. Never been in close to freezing temps with them yet but suspect they would be cold even with a thick sock.

That’s my bad. Should’ve been more specific. Headed back to Colorado in September and then up to Idaho late October. I tried hard to like the Schnee Beartooths last year but my feet just didn’t agree with em and they cost me towards end of our trip. I love the way the Altitude feels. Just hoping they aren’t going to be limited just to early season. Thanks!

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
Going to bow hunt New Mexico Elk in September (first time Elk hunting). I have a pair of Crispi Lapponia (2 yrs old) and Altitude (new). Also have a pair of Danner Pronghorns but they are not that comfortable.
Has anyone wore either of these Crispi's in New Mexico?
Tried on a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extreme uninsulated and they felt great but didn't pull the trigger. I'm thinking the Crispi's should cover me during this hunt. Any recommendations appreciated.
One thing I learned about New Mexico is that there are a lot of areas where every plant has stickers and thorns. Because of the thorns I now wear as light of a leather boot as possible that offers ankle support. Later in the season I switch to boots with 400grams of insulation.

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
Crispi boots should be great for your hunt. If they are comfortable, keep using them.