Crispi Highland Pro boot

mcseal2

WKR
Looks like Crispi is making an expensive version of the discontinued Cabelas boot like Kevin Dill uses. I hope street price is better than Crispi’s website, but these look perfect for someone like me who needs ankle support in a tall waterproof boot. I am not a big fan of the color. I don’t want to spend that for a boot, but I don’t want ankle issues to ruin a hunt either. Its one I will have to think on a while. I would definitely use them for both hunting and work if I had them. At that price I’d save them for days I had to have them and try to get 10 years out of them

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
That could be a game changer for moose hunting. The height of my extra tuffs with the ankle support of an actual boot. I’d use those all moose season.

Trial153

WKR
I really like the idea, if i get them them i will have to rattle can them becsue the color is obnoxious.

I wish the cabelas boots where better quality, and bit more comfortable. I wore them for a moose and caribou hunt last fall and they tore me up pretty good. Strange thing about it, i wore them about 10-12 days before that hunt while running hounds and while they wernt the most comfortable they didnt tear my feet up. With gaitors on top of them where very functional. I am on the fence about bringing them caribou hunting this August again...

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I have not ordered any but I’m getting closer to talking myself into doing so. I have the caribou hunt this year and am going to Kodiak after blacktail in 2022. I hope to continue hunting Alaska every 2 or 3 years past that as I save up money and build points in other states. Add in several days a year sorting cattle in the mud and they would get used.

I’m currently dealing with plantar fasciitis from wearing soft soled rubber boots while doing way to much walking on rough ground through a few weeks of mud. Busy time and lots of foot work on the ranch and it rained every few days. I wouldn’t want to wear these every day it was muddy and wear them out, but days I knew I was going to walk a lot I would.

I bet I get teased plenty about the color wearing them for work! I might try to contact Crispi and see if there are plans for other colors before buying any.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Sounds great, let us know what you find. I will do some checking too.

Wyo78

FNG
We looked before and that was the only color option. I think that other color you see is a different boot, and not as good of one (I can't remember the problem only that it turned out to not be an option). You get used to the color after a bit, and isn't as obnoxious after a few wears. I'm really liking mine and excited that I have them for my Caribou hunt, and don't have to worry about gators and wet feet.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Crispi's website had them for $600. I have not yet started searching elsewhere for a better price.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I called Sportsman's Warehouse, the only dealer in my state. They quoted me $599.95. Not a cheap boot.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Just got them in yesterday. From my initial walk around the house in thin socks they felt good. I want to try them with the heavy Darn Tough socks I have before making a final decision if they will be staying around. Going up the half size was the right move, even upsized they are none to big. I want to wear them several evenings indoors before getting any wear on them that might make them unreturnable. They are to expensive to be wrong about.

They are also really, really ugly.

I have large calf muscles that don't fit in just anything. Right now I'm thinking that wearing these over my light Aerowool 150 base layer and under my hunting pants might be the best idea for me. Still need to experiment though, hopefully I can do so tonight. I'm considering taking only my Kuiu Yukon rain pants for my later September caribou hunt and not taking a lighter non-waterproof pant. If the caribou hunt is anywhere close to as wet as my last Alaska hunt I'll be wearing the waterproof pant non-stop anyway.

Brendan

WKR
@mcseal2 - what type of foot shape do you have, or what other boots have worked well for you? Narrow foot, wide? High or low arches?

These have me interested at some level for when i need something waterproof and warmer than what I have now. I have some hunts that will have me wading foot deep streams every time I hunt, but then transition into steep and still require a good amount of support that I can't get out of my rubber whitetail boots.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
My normal boot is an 11D. These I got 11.5’s.

I get by good with Salomon 4D GTX boots on flat ground and Kennetrek Mountain Extreme boots in the mountains. Both size 11.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Couple hours of wearing them this evening has shown no major issues. They fit over my Kuiu Axis pants comfortably. The extra tall Darn Tough socks I bought to go with them reach high enough that I won't have to wear a base layer under them unless I choose to. Biggest thing I could see being an issue right now is a little heel slip. Its isn't to bad, and I'm not against taping my heels if necessary. I need to get them tested in some clean water to prove the waterproofness is there on the zipper, and if they pass that I'll go ahead and start breaking them in.

If you plan to wear heavy socks I'd say go a half size up at minimum. If you want a lot of sock thickness a full size might even be a good idea. I think the half size will work for me as they break in. They feel like a pretty warm boot and fit just about right for me with the Darn Tough full cushion socks under them. They will be plenty warm to hike in, but so will anything that seals around my leg like this and has enough height.

The velco closures at top in the front and back plus the rubberized stretch material makes for a good seal below my knee. I think that will be nice for keeping water out. I really think with these under my Yukon rain pants, especially if I tie something around the ankle of the Yukons, I could stay pretty dry for most short crossings. I'll have Wiggy's waders too for deeper/longer crossings. Might be unnecessary, but without knowing exactly what type of terrain I'll be dropped in I'd rather have them and not need them than the other way around.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Couple pics of the ugly boots.

Attachments

• 81F63C3E-3C87-4A23-A790-563C3D40ED55.jpeg
    81F63C3E-3C87-4A23-A790-563C3D40ED55.jpeg
    27.9 KB · Views: 135
  • 273A17ED-EB11-41CB-8A37-BE239AB99C3C.jpeg
    273A17ED-EB11-41CB-8A37-BE239AB99C3C.jpeg
    28.4 KB · Views: 134
OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I have several hikes of up to 3 miles in with the boots now. I don’t have any long hikes in with them yet, I’ve been waiting for cooler temps to do that. It’s been humid and around 100 for a while here. I have worn them around home for hours sometimes after the hikes.

The boots had almost no break-in time. They were comfortable from the start and have kept getting more comfortable. Stiffness is more than my Salomon 4D boots by a fair amount but nowhere close to my Kennetrek Mountain Extreme boots. They seem to be warm, but its hard to say how warm just yet. To warm for 100 degrees, but wearing them in that temp has not caused hot spots or any foot issues. I like them. They are comfortable over the tall Darn Tough socks and over or under my Axis or Attack pants. They have far more ankle support than anything of similar height and waterproofness I found. The BOA system works well and seems a good fit in this boot. All in all I’m happy so far. The real test will come in September.