Critique my arrow build

Alright fellas, you all were a big help when I was picking out my new to me bow so I figured I’d come back for some suggestions on my arrows. Thanks to a couple suggestions I ended up with an elite e35. It’s set 28.5” draw length at 61 pounds. The arrow set up I’m considering is this:

-Easton Axis 5mm 300 spine at 25.5” (272.85 grains)
-50 grain bass HIT insert
-125 grain vpa broadhead
-3 fletched aae max stealth vane

Total weight before fletchings and nock is 447.85 grains. I believe this should treat me well for elk and whitetails. Looking for anything you all would change or suggestions you might have.

Thanks.

I want to say too much weight up front but your arrow is shorter so that might be right on the money. Let us know how the tune goes on paper and what the arrow looks like in the target i.e. angle of penetration.

Do you have plans to shoot the bow higher than 60 pounds? 300 spine in a 25.5" arrow is STIFF even with an extra 59 grains up front over a traditional axis HIT with 100 gr head. In my opinion if 61 pounds is your top end then 340 spine is fine (with your brass hit and 125 head), would still be heavy enough and offer a little better trajectory based on speed (not too fast but in a good range for speed).

Ya I would say that’s gonna be kinda slow. I think a lot of people are getting caught up in the really heavy arrow idea thinking they need it for penetration, when really a perfectly flying arrow and a super sharp fixed blade , 2 blade with bleeders would pass through just about anything at 450 grains and 270-280 FPS.

OP
L
Do you have plans to shoot the bow higher than 60 pounds? 300 spine in a 25.5" arrow is STIFF even with an extra 59 grains up front over a traditional axis HIT with 100 gr head. In my opinion if 61 pounds is your top end then 340 spine is fine (with your brass hit and 125 head), would still be heavy enough and offer a little better trajectory based on speed (not too fast but in a good range for speed).

I can turn it up to 65 (max for the bow) and am willing to do so if I get better performance. The other thing I’ve considered is going with a longer arrow. Say up to 27”. A 27” arrow puts the arrow at the end of the shelf. From the research I’ve done it seems most guys recommend having the arrow extend 1 inch past the point where the arrow sits on the rest which is how I came to the 25.5” length.

Zac

WKR
You need to get on Archers Advantage before you start buying components. Even without looking I'm sure that build is way too stiff.

I can turn it up to 65 (max for the bow) and am willing to do so if I get better performance. The other thing I’ve considered is going with a longer arrow. Say up to 27”. A 27” arrow puts the arrow at the end of the shelf. From the research I’ve done it seems most guys recommend having the arrow extend 1 inch past the point where the arrow sits on the rest which is how I came to the 25.5” length.
So I shoot same draw length at 65 lbs, 333 FPS bow. 28.25 300 spine arrow with 153 up front spines out for me or a 26.5-27” 350 spine with 183 up front. I don’t know if there is an exact measurement past the rest that is some magic spot, I think most people are trying to build as short of an arrow they can that tunes perfectly to their set up. I hear guys like Snyder and Levi Morgan talk about building them 1/4”-1/“2 past the rest.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I want my arrows 1/2” or at the max 1” in front of my rest like they’re supposed to be. The only reason to have them longer is if your broadhead won’t clear the riser before you’re at full draw.

That heavy of an arrow would be too slow for me. However, if you like it, rock out with it.

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
Your current specs put you way too stiff. A 350 will get you closer, but that's going to using an arrow cut to your draw length, not shorter.

FWIW, I generally cut my own arrows between .25-1.0 past the riser, depending on how they tune. I think it's a personal preference. However, I've had customers come in that have arrows cut shorter than their riser, then have issues when they start shooting broadheads (primarily because when tuning they end up with a BH hitting the riser on the inside or connecting on the front of the riser and popping the arrow off the string). I generally start off with a weight range in mind and I don't really worry about speed. As long as it's in the 260-280 range, my fixed broadheads tune easily. And honestly, most of the my arrows end up between 475-500grs. Again, personal preference.

Marble

WKR
If it were my bow...
Max out limbs. I shot 65 pounds bows for awhile. I really liked them.
Cut three arrows 27.5 carbon to carbon
Try 3 fletch
The rest I would keep the same
Paper tune
Bare shaft to 20 or 30
Test broadheads.

If you like it, finish the rest of them.

I think it is a little stiff for your set up, especially at 60 pounds. But at 65 with a little longer arrow I think you'll be good.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

SouthPaw

WKR
I'm a shorter draw than you, 26.5" but I shoot a longer 27" arrow by preference and the same bow. Arrow is Axis 340 with 75g brass insert and 100g fixed head, totals to 465g. I shoot both a 62lb E35 and 63lb E32, both tuned to this arrow setup and both shoot great with fixed blades out to 70+ at 258fps and 263 fps. Your setup would be close to mine and AA says my setup is on the stiff side. Like others mentioned I'd go 340s for your situation, you'll get a bit more speed too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

t35henry

FNG
Alright fellas, you all were a big help when I was picking out my new to me bow so I figured I’d come back for some suggestions on my arrows. Thanks to a couple suggestions I ended up with an elite e35. It’s set 28.5” draw length at 61 pounds. The arrow set up I’m considering is this:

-Easton Axis 5mm 300 spine at 25.5” (272.85 grains)
-50 grain bass HIT insert
-125 grain vpa broadhead
-3 fletched aae max stealth vane

Total weight before fletchings and nock is 447.85 grains. I believe this should treat me well for elk and whitetails. Looking for anything you all would change or suggestions you might have.

Thanks.
Good arrow, good set up, I use one very similar and have had good results. Just stiffer spine for heavier draw on mine.

Brizzle

FNG
Too stiff and too much weight up front, I’d go with a 340 and MAX 50g up front. Power is created by speed and weight, too much of one and not enough of the other will only make the bow shoot worse. I aim for a little under 400g for my whitetail set up, and try to stay in the 280-290fps range. At 60lbs I’d aim for 280+/- a few FPS

BullsDeep

Lil-Rokslider
I went with 400 spine. I'm 27" dl. pulling 65# with a 27" victory vap arrow from end of outsert to carbon. 95 grain insert/outsert and 100g head.. totalling at 454 grains. Tho I haven't shot an animal with it yet, they fly like darts.

I would try a four fletch with either 3” or 4” feathers to stabilize the 175 grains that you are running up front.