Critique My Gear List

OP
huntcurs

huntcurs

FNG
Correction. Last year was mild temps. Prior two years before were the cold ones. It was brutal. My 20 bag was no match.

Ha! Y'all have definitely got me rethinking it. I'll leave it till I can locate water. I thought it wasn't supposed to get cold enough in AZ to shiver?

boom

WKR
Yea. It got very cold. Toothpaste frozen solid. We stay in a pop up camper and hike out from there. All of our water turned solid.

Where we go there is no reliable drinking water source. Overnights you have to pack all of your water.

OP
huntcurs

huntcurs

FNG
Seems to really be the limiting factor for backpack hunts here. Gonna car camp this weekend and hike in to check some springs. Y'all have any luck last year? Hear this can be a tough hunt.

_Nick_

WKR
huntcurs, I'd listen to boom and make sure to check the weather forecast carefully; also account for any elevation changes between forecast station and your hunt area. It can get cold in the desert at night. Make sure you've got warm enough clothes. I didn't see any gloves? If it's down near freezing, you'll want gloves while glassing.

If you don't know whether you'll have water or not, better to carry it until you find a spot that does have it. I've dealt with dehydration in the desert and it isn't any fun.

boom

WKR
Seems to really be the limiting factor for backpack hunts here. Gonna car camp this weekend and hike in to check some springs. Y'all have any luck last year? Hear this can be a tough hunt.

The toughest!

I'm finding them easy. Getting in bow range is a mofo! Last year, I choked and missed. It was sad. :).

boom

WKR
oh..add to list.

cut up an old foam sleeping pad and make smaller pads to sit on while glassing. LIFESAVER!! after one day of pulling thorns out of my ass cheeks, i cut up a perfectly brand new thermorest foam pad. the one that is green on one side, and silver on the other. make a mental note which color always goes down...i handed out sections of the thing to my brother and friends..i should have charged them. it was a lifesaver. night and day difference in comfort. weights nothing, really.

_Nick_

WKR
Good idea boom.

If you don't want to carry the pad, just make sure you scrape away where you're going to sit with your shoe first. Getting a cholla ball partially buried in your rear isn't the best start to a hunt, let me tell you.

OP
huntcurs

huntcurs

FNG
boom, at this point I'm just hoping to figure out where they are! I bought a cheap garden pad from Home Depot that is super light and super comfortable. Good thinking there.