My gear/pack layout from base layers to binos

Dobermann

WKR
Thanks. I will measure my Happy Yaks when I wear them next. I’ve worn them multiple times without washing them to see how long I can go before they stink. One problem with my test is that I can’t smell. Mrs fwafwow has been reluctant to smell my worn clothing, so I’m hoping to trick one of my grown children into being the test subject.
"Smell my stinky socks while I'm wearing fishnet underwear" probably isn't all that appealing ,..

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
I'm interested in this also.

And FWIW, @Form - my Grohmann #1 has been on backorder since November. Not sure what's happening there.

My Grohmann has been ordered for a month or so. I ordered another from a store that claims in stock. We’ll see.

Not sure what you guys ordered, but I placed my order March 16th, for a flat grind stainless #1 with black micarta scales, with the 3A sheath with the flap, and it was delivered today, within Canada. Hopefully things are moving over there now.

wowzers

Lil-Rokslider
The Canadian belt knife blade shape is fantastic- probably the best for gutting, skinning, and quartering that I’ve used. Have been mostly using Scandinavian and Finnish style knives for the last decade or so, and they too are very functional, and much better than almost any domestic style. However the Canadian knife is better.

The Cold Steel version is good. The stainless blade sharpens relatively easy and holds on an edge well enough. For $20 it’s incredible. However, all it made me do is want the original Grohmann #1 more- still waiting for it to show up. The MKC Jackstone is another version I have, though the handle shape and finger guard are both negatives to me in use.
The Knives of Alaska Yukon is pretty nice too. I like the handle material on it. I believe Herter’s made one the same time that Grohmann made theirs.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Not sure what you guys ordered, but I placed my order March 16th, for a flat grind stainless #1 with black micarta scales, with the 3A sheath with the flap, and it was delivered today, within Canada. Hopefully things are moving over there now.

Mine were carbon steel and Rosewood.

Netherman

WKR
The Knives of Alaska Yukon is pretty nice too. I like the handle material on it. I believe Herter’s made one the same time that Grohmann made theirs.
Alright, you guys, +14%off, +5%off impulse adder at optics planet got me. KOA yukon is on the way. I'll report back if my sloppiness results in any rust.

FZMT

FNG
Tent- Generally a 6 man Seek Outside Tipi with carbon fiber pole. Used continuously since 2013. Has been torn and repaired multiple times due to high winds- over 100mph gusts that tore out the stove section. Great for 2 people with a stove and gear, workable for 3 with stove and gear, cramped with 4, a stove and gear. Heavy for 1 person, though I’ve carried it a lot when it was just me due to the stove. This is ending its service life and will need to be replaced in the next season or two.
Will you be replacing it with a new 6 man? Have you used the Redcliff and if so, how does it compare.

Thank you generally for all the tips on gear and shooting, I’ve successfully used/adopted many of them and this thread has added many more to the shopping list.

I forgot to post back my findings in the wool nets my typical size fit perfect…. The ole lady was not as impressed as I was trying them on in the house I’d call it a win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dobermann

WKR
Why not a Seek Outside ?

Grant76

FNG

Good to know this going forward ... That being said which companies sell a comparable 6 man tipi?

Last edited:

C Bow

WKR
For me this has been without any dought the best tread I have ever read. Very well done with great info. Thanks

brhillman

FNG
Thanks for sharing this. I appreciate the amount of work it takes to put a detailed list like this together. It’s cool to see some more natural fiber materials used. I’m curious about the ventile cotton jackets…do you carry these in lieu of the rain shell, or will you carry both if expecting persistent rain? Have you noticed wetting out of the red kettle jackets eventually?

fwafwow

WKR
Thanks. I will measure my Happy Yaks when I wear them next. I’ve worn them multiple times without washing them to see how long I can go before they stink. One problem with my test is that I can’t smell. Mrs fwafwow has been reluctant to smell my worn clothing, so I’m hoping to trick one of my grown children into being the test subject.
I tricked her. She smelled them. I paired them and rolled down the tops as if they were clean. I had worn them like 5 times - admittedly only around the house or out and about in town. She said they smelled clean.

They are also 9”. I really wish they were taller.

eric1115

WKR
Is this a legit site? Have you ordered these boots from them?
I just received mine from them. FYI the $39 sale boots are not the real minimalist boots that some have recommended, but they are a solid step in that direction. Less (almost no) built up heel, much more flexible than most, but still a good bit of cushion. I switched to them and have been wearing for a week now with no need to ease into them. I'm a carpenter, on my feet all day every day.

joshr

FNG
Inov-8 Roclite 286 or, better- Vivo Barefoot Tracker Forest ESC’s. There’s a thread on the Vivo’s in the footwear sub forum.
@Formidilosus I'm looking at transition to the barefoot/minimal type footwear and see you have mentioned the inov8 as a bridging type boot/shoe in the past. The models we have here (345 GTX) runs way to narrow for me.
Any other suggestions, or get into the vivos and build up using them?

Dobermann

WKR
@Formidilosus I'm looking at transition to the barefoot/minimal type footwear and see you have mentioned the inov8 as a bridging type boot/shoe in the past. The models we have here (345 GTX) runs way to narrow for me.
Any other suggestions, or get into the vivos and build up using them?
Not Form, but the Forest Tracker ESCs are surprisingly supportive.

I used to run off-track daily in more minimalist 'barefoot' running shoes, and the ESCs feel like pillows by comparison...