Custom rifle build times/recommendations

I am looking to potentially have a rifle built. My Grandma, Norma, passed last year and it hit me pretty hard. She loved talking about hunting, having game meat based meals when she'd visit me (I'm military and stationed away from "home"), and telling me about how much she loved deer meat as a kid. I thought it would be cool to have a custom rifle built and chambered in 300 Norma, and keep it as a family heirloom.
First question, how long does a custom build usually take? Would having it ready by a fall hunt be reasonable?
Also, does anybody have recommendations on custom rifle builders that have built 300 Norma's?
Thanks for any inputs!

Last edited:

Vandy321

WKR
Call Kevin Weaver at Weaver Rifles. Fantastic smith, Google will reveal that. Used to build rifles for Andy Hawkins at Hawkins Precision (Rokslide Sponsor) i believe. He can probably tlk more to Kevin's builds than I can, but Kevin recently build me a tac driver 7RM in under 4 weeks.

gbflyer

WKR
It doesn’t take that long to get a decent button rifled barrel. Places like bugholes stock truck axles from the usual spread of cut rifled manufacturers if that’s your bag and you don’t want to wait a year. Custom action from Jim Borden. Total class. Stocks are 6 months out unless you want a Boyd’s. They are quick! The smith thing...yeah. Frustrating. I do my own due to my inpatient nature.

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking to potentially have a rifle built. My Grandma, Norma, passed last year and it hit me pretty hard. She loved talking about hunting, having game meat based meals when she'd visit me (I'm military and stationed away from "home"), and telling me about how much she loved deer meat as a kid. I thought it would be cool to have a custom rifle built and chambered in 300 Norma, and keep it as a family heirloom.
First question, how long does a custom build usually take? Would having it ready by a fall hunt be reasonable?
Also, does anybody have recommendations on custom rifle builders that have built 300 Norma's?
Thanks for any inputs!
I would also give Travis at RBros a call.

I was going through a similar process last Oct/Nov and a few guys on the site recommended that I talk to RBros. Definitely good advice.

I am placing my order with RBros this month for a 7mm RM with a Manners MCS-EH1 carbon stock, Jewell trigger, and Proof Research Sendero 26" carbon wrapped barrel.

jolemons

WKR
I have had Rbros and Weaver Custom Rifles both do builds for me. Both are cherished and highy recommended. I was in Kevin's shop last week and he said he has taken on a lot of orders with Covid, but I'm sure that is the case with everyone. Personally, I would try to find a smith nearby so that you can make in person visits and establish a relationship.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

B23

WKR
Personally, I would try to find a smith nearby so that you can make in person visits and establish a relationship.
Though it's certainly not a requirement the above IMO is, VERY, good advice. I've had builds done by six different gunsmiths across the US over the years and I can tell you first hand if you can find a good smith that is local to you and within driving distance so you can talk face to face about whatever build/work you want done I would highly recommend doing so.

Being able to talk to the person/shop FTF doing the work for you as well as not having to deal with any shipping companies and the cost, time, and just overall PITA that can be, again, is worth a lot IMO. I'm very fortunate to have Defensive Edge Rifles only 25 minutes away from my front door and it has been a convenience worth its weight many times over.

eod.mickelson, if you post your general area or maybe even just the state you're from there are enough people here from all across the US I'm sure a good recommendation for a good shop more local to you can be made.

The one thing I would advise against is I would never, again that is, have a build done by a gunsmith you at the least can't talk to on the phone. If everything goes perfect working through email only I suppose can be ok but when it doesn't and you have a problem using email as your only source of communication can be a nightmare.

OP
E
Thank you for all the inputs everybody! I'm in southwest Idaho, and think I can agree with the recommendation to find a smith I can face to face with! I have heard great things abouy lane precision and have reached out to them just to say hi thus far.

Like most have been saying pre covid things were better.
I just ordered a barrel for my 338 edge build. Estimated lead time is 16-20 weeks.
From what I’ve heard by calling around lead times are crazy

ODB

WKR
Builders I know and/or would trust:

D'Arcy Echols
Duane Wiebe
Joe Smithson
Lon Paul
Dennis Olson
Wayne Jacobson

the key with custom rifles is a) be patient, b) don't be penny wise and pound foolish, c) be very, very, very clear about what you want and communicate it clearly, d) be patient

WRO

WKR
Derek Westover built my 300 norma that's my absolute favorite rifle..

CodyB

Lil-Rokslider
Derek Westover built my 300 norma that's my absolute favorite rifle..

Derek helped me with a couple years ago with a rifle that had some issues and was super helpful in coming up with a solution that would get me hunting.

Have LPR building a rifle for me right now and Dallas was also very helpful in reviewing the parts list to make sure I ordered the correct stuff.

Living in a small town I have to travel regardless of where I go and very glad to have made the trip to meet both in person.

Travis at Rbros
He is on a revolving monthly order with suppliers and he will quote you an accurate time.
Pre covid was 90 days
The real problem is going to be ammo and components.
If you go with Travis he sends a dummy round and load data.
All you have to do is copy that load, zero, chrono and get your drops.
I went from new rifle to 700 yard hits within 30 rounds.
With my second rifle I was zeroed and making hits at 717 all in one 20 round box of factory ammo.

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
Travis at Rbros
He is on a revolving monthly order with suppliers and he will quote you an accurate time.
Pre covid was 90 days
The real problem is going to be ammo and components.
If you go with Travis he sends a dummy round and load data.
All you have to do is copy that load, zero, chrono and get your drops.
I went from new rifle to 700 yard hits within 30 rounds.
With my second rifle I was zeroed and making hits at 717 all in one 20 round box of factory ammo.
I placed my order today with Travis.

I bet the rifle arrives before I can track down ammo for it.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would give BAT machine a call. They make
Incredibly accurate and smooth actions and the wait time for having a rifle built was way faster than everyone else I reached out to.

It was a 300 Norma... and hey, I know they have the reamer!

Dallas lane ( Lane precision rifles) is also a great option... builds some beautiful rifles.

Totoro

WKR
RBros, Lane Precision, Ryan Pierce get my votes.

Better start sourcing components ASAP.

I know of one barrel maker going 10-12 months on orders.

Proof barrels, depending on caliber/contour around 2-3 months.

Best thing to do is to discuss your ideas with your riflesmith and go from there.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
If I were doing a 2021 custom rifle as an heirloom throwback to family, I would do a couple things:
-mcmillan mcwoody in gamescout
-defiance deviant professionally colour case hardened
-I’d go proof barrel at 24” to save weight on a longer barrel needed to retain velocity in a caliber like 300 Norma
-I’d try and find an older polished leupold gold ring of sorts. Better yet, I do feel like classy European glass belongs on a cool lady like Norma. Swaro, Leica, Zeiss, or a spendy but classically reliable S&B would be the bees knees.
- it would be a disgrace to do anything but a matching cc hardened steel dbm with a phrase laser engraved marquee attributed to family. Maybe a family crest or her initials, but whatever you choose... don’t skimp on gold inlay.
- hand engraved florals would be a bonus but not absolutely necessary.
- I hate a two stage trigger but dang it, I feel like Norma would’ve grown up with one if she had a high end custom rifle when she was an up and comer outdoors lady.

all of this flowed from my fingers because I want to do this for myself... bad... and I constantly think about it

OP
E
If I were doing a 2021 custom rifle as an heirloom throwback to family, I would do a couple things:
-mcmillan mcwoody in gamescout
-defiance deviant professionally colour case hardened
-I’d go proof barrel at 24” to save weight on a longer barrel needed to retain velocity in a caliber like 300 Norma
-I’d try and find an older polished leupold gold ring of sorts. Better yet, I do feel like classy European glass belongs on a cool lady like Norma. Swaro, Leica, Zeiss, or a spendy but classically reliable S&B would be the bees knees.
- it would be a disgrace to do anything but a matching cc hardened steel dbm with a phrase laser engraved marquee attributed to family. Maybe a family crest or her initials, but whatever you choose... don’t skimp on gold inlay.
- hand engraved florals would be a bonus but not absolutely necessary.
- I hate a two stage trigger but dang it, I feel like Norma would’ve grown up with one if she had a high end custom rifle when she was an up and comer outdoors lady.

all of this flowed from my fingers because I want to do this for myself... bad... and I constantly think about it
I really appreciate how well thought out this response was! That does sound like a beautiful rifle for sure!

Phil j

Lil-Rokslider
Check with Ryan Pierce I have one in .300 Norma improve and it is a hammer and I got it in very short time.