Custom Rifle Build

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
Was thinking about a custom rifle build in either 6.5Cm or .308 Win. Need some advice on components and as far as stocks i'm more of a fan of the McMillian Hunter's Edge and Mcmillian Hunter Stock but any and all advice is appreciated.

If going with a carbon wrapped barrel you might take a look at the Proof stocks. Since you say you like the Hunters Edge the Proof is similar to that one only its much lighter weight and IMHO a nicer stock. I have 2 builds with it and am really liking it - only thing is they are currently only available inlet for a CF barrel.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Mesa Precision altitude is pretty similar and they will inlet for any barrel profile. Check out my recent thread on my first custom, highly recommend Kampfeld Custom for a smith.

FLS

WKR
What do you want to do with it. Targets, hunting, both? Without knowing that there no way of knowing what advice to give.

OP
S

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
What do you want to do with it. Targets, hunting, both? Without knowing that there no way of knowing what advice to give.
Hunting only

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

FLS

WKR
You want an ultralight or more of a target/ hunting crossover.

OP
S

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
You want an ultralight or more of a target/ hunting crossover.
I want to keep the rifle under 7.5lbs since i'm leaning toward 6.5CM i wouldn't mind an ultralight

ROJO23

FNG
i have 3 custom built rifles. 2 are on trued remington actions, and the other is on a pierce engineering action. Unless you already have an action, a custom entry level action will probably be about the same as buying a remington action and having it trued. Custom action is approx. $900-1100. Trueing a remington action is approx. $250-300 plus the cost of the action.

I have 1 Hart barrel, and 2 Brux barrels and they all shoot very well. if you are going ultra lightweight I would say a proof barrel would be hard to beat. You can get a lightweight barrel from most manufacturers for about $350, the proof barrels are about $850

It seems that recent McMillan edge stocks are coming in heavy. I bought a long action McMillan Hunter without pillars installed and it’s just shy of 30 oz. Must have been why it was heavily discounted. Nice stock though.

Specs:

Defiance Machine Rebel short action, sheep cut port, extra deep flutes on bolt, Remington style bolt handle with teardrop bolt knob
Proof Research carbon fiber stock
Bartlein #4 contour carbon wrapped barrel, 1-8.5" twist, finished @ 23"
TriggerTech primary trigger
Hawkins aluminum BDL with Wyatts mag box/spring/follower
Talley Lwt lows
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10-42 scope
Rifle only weighs just under 6lbs.

7MM-08

I liked it enough to do its twin:)

Rcol317

FNG
Well done Oregonmuley, all the right ingredients. I've attempted to build several light weight rifles and never came as close as you did. Well done. After four attempts I decided to have Lex Webernick @ Rifles Inc. do it for me.

wildcat33

WKR
LRI built 308 win:
McM hunter
Hawkins BDL
Bart #3 fluted
Stiller SA

8.7lbs with scope and sling

Nice gun, love to shoot it. But doesnt do anything a tikka doesn't do. 308 is a fine round, but there are many better all rounders IMO. To do over I'd look at 7-08, 6.5PRC, or 284win for a medium sized all-around cartridge.

Altus has defiance AnTi's in stock right now. Bugholes usually has bart 2b barrels. That would be a good start!

Attachments

• IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 31

wildcat33

WKR
Was thinking about a custom rifle build in either 6.5Cm or .308 Win. Need some advice on components and as far as stocks i'm more of a fan of the McMillian Hunter's Edge and Mcmillian Hunter Stock but any and all advice is appreciated.

FYI There is a factory proof elevation over on 24hr in 6.5cm, very similar to Muleys for a very good price.

Benjblt

WKR
Specs:

Defiance Machine Rebel short action, sheep cut port, extra deep flutes on bolt, Remington style bolt handle with teardrop bolt knob
Proof Research carbon fiber stock
Bartlein #4 contour carbon wrapped barrel, 1-8.5" twist, finished @ 23"
TriggerTech primary trigger
Hawkins aluminum BDL with Wyatts mag box/spring/follower
Talley Lwt lows
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10-42 scope
Rifle only weighs just under 6lbs.

7MM-08

I liked it enough to do its twin:)
Did you have a gunsmith put this together?