Custom Rifle Journey/Review *Pic Heavy*

huntnful

WKR
I'll try to keep this short and sweet so that it's digestible for a reader. But please ask any questions regarding any additional info that you'd like!! I'll finish the post with a summary of why I changed certain components.

You'll see a variety of optics in here, I'll avoid discussing what caused the changes, because we all probably know the answers lol.

I killed my first buck in 2018. Then I became addicted to it, and started hunting big game HEAVILY in 2019. Over 100 days a year.

Like a lot of people, I started out with a christensen arms ridgeline, in 6.5 creedmoor. I shot that rifle for all of 2019. New as new could get at big game hunting and rifles in general really. I killed some deer with it.
E4BE6320-B36F-4702-BEE3-1C597F5B9863.jpeg

After that season, I knew I wanted a better rifle platform, and a hotter cartridge. As well as wanting to get into reloading and more into long range. In comes the 28 Nosler. My first custom....

Built by Hells Canyon Armory. I basically just asked Mike for his premium, lightweight, hunting rifle build. He suggested his "Carbon Killer" in 28 Nosler. I knew literally nothing about custom rifles at this point. I just said, "sounds good" and the build commenced basically lol. Took about 8 Months from deposit date.

Specs on the 28 Nosler:
Lone Peak Fuzion Ti Action
AG Composites Ibex Stock
26" Benchmark Barrel, carbon wrapped by Mike himself. 1-8 twist
Trigger Tech Special
Hawkins BDL Oberndorf

I shot this rifle for 2 seasons. 2020 & 2021. With a variety of bullets. It was a great shooting rifle!

Group at 1120 yards with 195 Bergers.
IMG_1551.jpeg
6002A98C-4FDC-4D9F-A26F-FB485410A78F.jpeg
B5C0E5DD-1B7E-4B5C-831C-18DDE1FEF19E.jpeg

After two seasons and over 800 rounds, the barrel was absolutely smoked. I put a steel bartlein barrel chambered by TS Customs on it, and sold it to a great buddy of mine. This was when I started thinking more about steel barrels, but I'm a slow learner as you'll see... lol. Gun absolutely hammers to this day!
IMG_6315.jpeg

In the meantime, Mike at Hells Canyon Armory was building me another rifle. A 300 Norma Improved. Because I just wanted even bigger and "badder", no real other reason honestly. This build spec was almost Identical to my initial 28 Nosler. This build took 15 months from deposit date.

300 Norma Improved Specs:

Lone Peak Fuzion TI
AG Composites Ibex stock
Mikes carbon barrel. 26" 1-9 twist
Trigger Tech Special
Hawkins BDL Oberndof

I used this rifle for all of 2022. It was also a great shooting rifle, but I really began to notice impacts wandering after only a few shots down the barrel. And it would take me forever to get range data because I had to let the barrel cool for minutes between shots to get larger sample sizes without "flyers". And the TI action was running ROUGH and almost non functional on the late season hunt with my dad. I could hardly cycle it in the freezing temps....

463A089D-75F7-404B-A66E-D03BA34D9924.jpeg
9F9613E2-10A0-4492-9C6B-E75498E0101C.jpeg

BUT, being the way that I am. I had Travis Stevens at TS Customs also build be an ultralight, short barreled 6.5 PRC in 2022. Literally no justification for this build, other than I wanted a "truck gun" for coyotes I guess.

Lone Peak Fuzion TI. DLC Coated (this was new to me). Diamond Like Coating
TS Customs KS1 Stock from AG Composites
20" Bartlein Carbon Barrel 1-7 twist
TT Special
Hawkins M5 Oberndof

This DLC coated TI action was the smoothest running actions I'd ever used at this point. It was unbelievable. I only killed a few coyotes with it and put a few hundred rounds down the barrel before selling it. I wanted funds for another build. Go figure haha.

IMG_9694.jpeg

After the 2022 season, I didn't really want to invest the money for full new build at the moment. But I knew I didn't want anymore carbon barrels, because I didn't see any accuracy benefit, or really even much of a weight benefit to them at this point. I also knew my TI action wasn't acceptable with how it cycled during that late season hunt.

So I sent my Norma to Ty Shaw at Flatline Precision for a rebarrel and I sent the action off for DLC coating.

Ty chambered a 1-9 twist steel bartlein barrel in his own 300 Norma Mag Improved design, did some fresh cerakote, and I had the rifle back in a short manner. It cycled much better and shot EXCELLENT with that new steel barrel.

4E2C8D89-2604-4547-8688-438ECC059C2E.jpeg

But before Ty even finished the rebarrel, I was already wanting a full build and just to get rid of having TI actions all together. Because I have a problem, cleary haha. So I did load dev on the bronze Norma, and sold it to a good buddy.

For 2023, I had a fetish with accuracy for some reason, so I decided that I wanted to try to piece together some HEAVY rifles, with a steel barrels, steel actions and my first adjustable stocks, that would shoot better than any rifles I'd ever had. They shot amazing for sure.

I had Ty Shaw do this next full build, that I would use for most of 2023. Coming in at over 12lbs scoped. Another 300 Norma Mag Improved. Build was 4 months to complete after deposit.

Bat Vesper Long Action
TS Customs Adjustable KS1 Stock by AG Composites
1-9 twist Benchmark Med Palma Contour
TT Special trigger
Hawkins M5 DBM this time.

I packed this gun all over hell. Honestly, I didn't really notice the weight. But I ended up killing all my animals under 200 yards with it in 2023. And while it did shoot a ton of small groups, I was realizing that tiny groups, aren't necessarily what kills animals. But I knew I loved the steel action, and my god that steel barrel was forgiving with every bullet I shot down it, and long shot strings too. 5 shot fast cycle groups constantly in the .4" range with no wandering.

IMG_6885.jpeg

Ran out of file attachment room.... will continue in next post. Bare with me please...

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Animals killed with the heavy Norma
BDC8849C-E156-44E4-8980-91FE7991FCFA.jpeg

Also in 2023 I has Travis Stevens at TS Customs build me a 6 PRC. A heavy little bastard to. Because I was still after sheer accuracy at that point. Build was about 4 months after deposit.

6 PRC Specs:

Lone Peak Fuzion action. NOT TITANIUM
Adjustable KS1 stock
TT special
24" Bartlein Rem Varmint 1-7.5 twist
Hawkins M5 Oberndof

This gun shot lights out. And I loved the little fast 6mm bullets with no recoil. I used it to kill some coyotes and a decent buck. I liked this rifle a lot, but at this point I knew I didn't need 12lb rifles accomplish my more realistic hunting goals....

IMG_7928 2.jpeg
IMG_0093.jpeg

So after using HEAVY rifles for all of 2023 and really being honest with myself on if the extra slight edge in accuracy potential made a world of difference when it came to killing... it did not. Not actually at all honestly.

So for 2024, I'm picking a good middle ground, that I think is an excellent combination of accuracy potential, and killing ability.

I also found a badass local gunsmith within driving distance. He's remaining unnamed at the moment until he has the ability to scale and stay efficient with lead times.

But he did another 300 Norma Mag Improved Rebarrel for me. I went with a lighter contour benchmark steel barrel. #5 contour. As well as a 11oz lighter optic. Bringing the gun weight down below 10lbs. And for a big magnum, I think around 9-10lbs scoped is spot on for packability and recoil management. And it honestly shoots exactly the same, if not even better than when the platform was 12lbs.

IMG_1255.jpeg
32C7C870-173F-4AD8-B6DE-597F3954D430.jpeg

I also sold the 6 PRC so that I can piece together a lighter weight build, but still in the 6 PRC cartridge.

RECAP:

I got away from TI actions for several reasons.

1. They don't save you any weight over some steel actions on the market now
2. They can be very rough to cycle in some environments
3. They seem to "pressure out" early when doing load development. Slower speeds, but still getting bolt click ect.
So there are zero benefits over a steel action.

I got away from carbon barrel for a few reasons.

1. They can be more finicky with accuracy than steel barrels
2. They don't really provide any weight savings over steel barrels, like a 3B, #5 & #6 contour barrel.
3. More expensive
So there really are zero benefits over a steel barrel, other than potentially cosmetic appeal.

I got away from ultra heavy "tack drivers" for a few reasons.

1. They can suck to carry
2. I didn't notice enough increase is accuracy (if any) to make a difference for hunting scenarios
3. I can still spot my impacts with a 10lb platform of the same cartridge

Going to continue with some recommendations and more pictures in one more post.....

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It’s interesting that my journey is kinda the same pattern. I changed things and didn’t get a lot of benefit and my changes now veer more to preferences.

Some things don’t really matter as much as argued on the internet.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
RECOMMENDATIONS

1. Get a steel action. WITH an integrated rail. Meaning the rail is machined in. Bat Vesper & Defiance Anti X will be your lightest options I believe. Impact & Lone peak are also good. Do not fuss with an aftermarket rail attached with four screws. They can and do come loose. If you must use an aftermarket rail, epoxy that bitch to the action never to be removed again.

2. Get a steel barrel. Benchmark, Bartlein, Brux, Ace ect... I think any higher end steel barrel, will be more forgiving for load dev and outshoot, or at least shoot the same as the best carbons. And you can run a decent shot string through them without groups opening up. For a 1.200 shank, a bartlein 3B is a great option. And for a 1.250 shank, the #5 contour.

3. Adjustable stocks really aren't necessary and can add a good bit of weight. Getting a non adjustable stock with a higher check weld is probably best for most people. I do not like sporter stocks or chassis. I think that's more of a preference thing though, so don't hold much weight to it.

Here's a few photos of groups you can expect from well built custom rifles and GOOD reloading practices. I guarantee I could triple these group sizes by carelessly loading inconsistent ammo. Sometimes they shoot larger groups absolutely. But generally you can achieve lots of .2" 3 shot groups, .4" 5 shots groups fairly often and .7" 10 shots groups. Sometimes they're smaller, sometimes they're bigger.

D3F9C570-C0A6-4F72-93BE-EA06CAFC00EA.jpeg
7E76D851-EED8-47FF-BBDE-A6333B232F2A.jpeg
57EF9B8B-BA9A-4A5A-AEBB-E33C86AD4B4C.jpeg
IMG_0408 2.jpeg

I am currently waiting for components for my ideal 6 PRC build, which will be:

Bat Vesper Short Action
Rokstok or Peak 44 Bastion. Whichever arrives first.
26" Benchmark #6 contour 1-8 twist
Hawkins M5 DBM
Bix N Andy TacSport Trigger
Topped with a 3-18X44 Tenmile.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Dude, thank you. I thought I was bad. I can't wait to go home and make my wife read this thread! :LOL: 🍻
(She is on IG so if she makes the connection and you get a random message, just ignore it 😬)

I couldn't agree more with all of that. I phased out all my carbon barrels, and even 700 actions. Now I just build on Tikkas because they're cost effective, light enough, and reliable. They do have a slight shortfall with their petite bolt lugs and shorter length action/mag though. I've noticed all of mine tend to start showing pressure around book max so I choose my cartridge and components accordingly. But with UM rings now, it's pretty much an easy button. Ironically, my best shooting barrel is a button rifled PBB.

Great write up! And also nice rifles, and damn fine work hunting.

Matt5266

WKR
Nice write up! Have a question out of curiosity. As others have pointed out its clear you have dropped some serious coin on optics. Since you have used several top end scopes what led you to the tenmile?

I'm currently looking for a new scope so just looking for your 2 cents. Thanks

Harvey_NW

WKR
Nice write up! Have a question out of curiosity. As others have pointed out its clear you have dropped some serious coin on optics. Since you have used several top end scopes what led you to the tenmile?

Start here, with the first post outlining the test. Then you can skim through all of the reviews, and draw your own conclusion. https://rokslide.com/forums/forums/rifle-scope-field-evaluations.133/

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Close to 8-9k just in optics in those pics....
Haha I've done some scope testing for sure also!

It’s interesting that my journey is kinda the same pattern. I changed things and didn’t get a lot of benefit and my changes now veer more to preferences.

Some things don’t really matter as much as argued on the internet.
Absolutely!

:ROFLMAO:Was thinking the same thing. Premium components on premium rifles!

Seams like every time a saw a grip and grin it was with a different rifle and they were all top notch customs!

Some darn nice animals too!
Thank you!!

Nice work on the write up. Ive been down some very similar roads as you!
Appreciate that!

Dude, thank you. I thought I was bad. I can't wait to go home and make my wife read this thread! :LOL: 🍻
(She is on IG so if she makes the connection and you get a random message, just ignore it 😬)

I couldn't agree more with all of that. I phased out all my carbon barrels, and even 700 actions. Now I just build on Tikkas because they're cost effective, light enough, and reliable. They do have a slight shortfall with their petite bolt lugs and shorter length action/mag though. I've noticed all of mine tend to start showing pressure around book max so I choose my cartridge and components accordingly. But with UM rings now, it's pretty much an easy button. Ironically, my best shooting barrel is a button rifled PBB.

Great write up! And also nice rifles, and damn fine work hunting.
Hahaha we all have our vices 😅😅. I think the only reason I didn't go the full tikka route is because I went straight to the larger magnums honestly. Tikkas are LEGIT though! I had one too lol. And thank you! I appreciate the kind words!

First off, that is an impressive collection of rifles in a short time and it looks like put them to use on some great animals!
Secondly, what the heck do you do for a living?
Thank you!! I've been welding pipe since I was 19 years old. Going on 15 years straight now!

What it really came down to, is "what do I need to kill an animal, as far as I want to kill one". And the tenmile covered all those bases and still proving to be extremely durable. And conveniently, at a fraction of the cost. I like its simplicity, bold FFP reticle, repeatability and reliability.

I know you’ve caused me to spend and also save money the times we have talked over optics. I have a March 4.5-28 showing up next week and it’s your fault 😂

I too have learned a that premium components yield premium results, but also at some point groups under 1/2” typically do nothing for you on the mountain. I love shooting bugholes at any distance, but if it can kill an animal at that distance that is most important. I have a full custom tikka 7 saum that is boringly accurate, but my full custom 300nmi is still my favorite for a lot of the reasons you have learned and mentioned. When you find the right build, you don’t go away from it! I know highlight for me is seeing your success every year because you never disappoint 😂

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Great write up! Glad I talked to you into doing this. Lol

@robby denning @Ryan Avery should this be a sticky at the top of the page?
Thank you man 👊🏼

This scares me, I'm currently having my first custom built and thought it would be my last big game rifle ever...
Hahaha well, I hate to break the news to you…. 🤣🤣🤣. I think I just have issues. Some guys don’t have any problems keeping a rifle for a long while.

I know you’ve caused me to spend and also save money the times we have talked over optics. I have a March 4.5-28 showing up next week and it’s your fault 😂

I too have learned a that premium components yield premium results, but also at some point groups under 1/2” typically do nothing for you on the mountain. I love shooting bugholes at any distance, but if it can kill an animal at that distance that is most important. I have a full custom tikka 7 saum that is boringly accurate, but my full custom 300nmi is still my favorite for a lot of the reasons you have learned and mentioned. When you find the right build, you don’t go away from it! I know highlight for me is seeing your success every year because you never disappoint 😂
I still love that March! If the lug spacing on that vesper wouldn’t have been an issue with the short tube length, I may still have one on there!

Basically, a combination of premium components, assembled by a good gunsmith, all but guarantees legit hunting accuracy with a wide variety of bullets IMO.

And thank you!! I try my hardest every year to find some good animals!

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
I also had this 16lb seekins 6.5 PRC. This gun had a crooked chamber and a rough barrel that would copper foul for 16” of the barrel length… and was easily the most accuracy gun I’ve ever owned. Testament to steel barrels and a brick shithouse platform lol. Put a few hundred rounds through it doing some PRS type stuff.
IMG_4029.jpeg
It also shot my smallest 5 shot group ever. A .1 MOA 5 shotter at 100 yards.
IMG_4424.jpeg

Then I had this semi custom Tikka in 6.5 PRC that I bought from @WeiserBucks . Great gun. I sold it to a good buddy that used it to kill quite a few animals. I would not be upset if I still owned this rifle lol.
IMG_7830.jpeg