Custom Rifle Journey/Review *Pic Heavy*

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
... and you havn't even gotten into suppressors yet Steve.
Wait till you realize the pleasure of 6" shorter barrels, next to no recoil with a 6mm bullet and no ear plugs haha
Hahaha that would certainly be nice! But I live in communist California so I can’t have one 🙄.

Dude lives in California, they might as well be imaginary or fake to him. Kind of like half the breast in Beverly Hills, or unicorns.
Haha exactly!

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Hahaha that would certainly be nice! But I live in communist California so I can’t have one 🙄.

Haha exactly!

I was wondering why you were still a heathen and using a brake on really long barrels.
Its a shame about cali tough luck.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
I was wondering why you were still a heathen and using a brake on really long barrels.
Its a shame about cali tough luck.
Haha yep. So might as well make the best of it and just get more velocity and less recoil. I wear automatic shut off ear plugs in the field.

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
Great thread op! For such a short time hunting you have racked up a ridiculous list of accomplishments, CONGRATS on that!

I've gone down a similar rabbit hole with rifles and reloading equip upgrades through the years.

I agree with the CF barrel sentiment. I've had two and currently own one. I'm planning to keep it for now as I really love the rifle but don't love the slightly thinner the a proof sendero light barrel. It's a shorty in 7 SAUM and it does okay.

I'm going the other direction now with a deeply fluted sendero steel vs light contour steel and steeping up to a 338 RUM. We'll see how this rabbit hole goes.

NickT406

FNG
Classified Approved
Yes very nice work on putting down some great deer! Looks like you put in just as much work learning the right hunting tactics and time In field as you did getting set up with the right gun for the job!

Ever thought about doing some videos on your hunts? I know the downsides of that and I at least appreciate some of your videos on YouTube if kill shots. But with the caliber of animals you harvest and we all know you get after it, it may be something to consider!

Hahaha I thought I was bad… In the last 5 years I’ve gone 7-300 win, 338 lapua imp, 28 Nosler, 300 Norma imp, 6 creed, 6.5 LRM, 7 max, and now 30 Nosler and 25-284…. Haha I like your builds!

SouthPaw

WKR
The suppressor ban in CA sucks major. Really wish we could use them hunting.
Haha yep. So might as well make the best of it and just get more velocity and less recoil. I wear automatic shut off ear plugs in the field.
Which plugs do you like for backpack hunting?

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
The suppressor ban in CA sucks major. Really wish we could use them hunting.Which plugs do you like for backpack hunting?
They are “OTTO” ear plugs and they are 100% worth the money. I put some good foam ear bud tips on them instead of the rubber ones they come with.

Lots of things SUCK in California lol.
Haha no kidding! Basically everything except the weather and the wages.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Great thread op! For such a short time hunting you have racked up a ridiculous list of accomplishments, CONGRATS on that!

I've gone down a similar rabbit hole with rifles and reloading equip upgrades through the years.

I agree with the CF barrel sentiment. I've had two and currently own one. I'm planning to keep it for now as I really love the rifle but don't love the slightly thinner the a proof sendero light barrel. It's a shorty in 7 SAUM and it does okay.

I'm going the other direction now with a deeply fluted sendero steel vs light contour steel and steeping up to a 338 RUM. We'll see how this rabbit hole goes.
I appreciate that!

Awesome! I’ve settled on a fluted #6 contour and have several on order from benchmark now.

Yes very nice work on putting down some great deer! Looks like you put in just as much work learning the right hunting tactics and time In field as you did getting set up with the right gun for the job!
Thank you Nick! Haha yeah I’m even more serious about hunting than the rifles lol.

Ever thought about doing some videos on your hunts? I know the downsides of that and I at least appreciate some of your videos on YouTube if kill shots. But with the caliber of animals you harvest and we all know you get after it, it may be something to consider!
I’ve been offered to have someone film a few, but honestly I just don’t want any of that part of the industry. Then pretty soon I’d be acquiring some dog shit sponsors and pedaling crap products to unsuspecting people 😅😅😅.

Hahaha I thought I was bad… In the last 5 years I’ve gone 7-300 win, 338 lapua imp, 28 Nosler, 300 Norma imp, 6 creed, 6.5 LRM, 7 max, and now 30 Nosler and 25-284…. Haha I like your builds!
That’s a killer line up!!!

I’m just waiting on a reamer for a 7-300 Norma Improved that I’m planning to use this season!!

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
Nice write up! I’m kind of in a situation where I have a heavy 300wm and want to either build or buy a 6.5prc for my wife amd daughter. I’m either wanting a tikka and piece something together or a seekins havak element. Short barrell for a suppressor and light. Do you know what all you had in that tikka 6.5prc you posted?

bpurtz

WKR
Cool journey - thanks for sharing! The R&D cost for the firearms & optics is one thing, but I think I'm more impressed by how many tags you were able to acquire over that time frame. Congrats!

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Nice write up! I’m kind of in a situation where I have a heavy 300wm and want to either build or buy a 6.5prc for my wife amd daughter. I’m either wanting a tikka and piece something together or a seekins havak element. Short barrell for a suppressor and light. Do you know what all you had in that tikka 6.5prc you posted?
I actually bought that rifle totally pieced together already and I honestly don't even remember what I paid. But figure whatever the action costs, or full tikka rifle if you buy factory, plus $8-900 for a chambered barrel and $800-$1000 for a stock.

Cool journey - thanks for sharing! The R&D cost for the firearms & optics is one thing, but I think I'm more impressed by how many tags you were able to acquire over that time frame. Congrats!
Thank you!

I've actually drawn very few tags. Most of those are OTC/General tag animals. I've drawn one good deer tag, and 2 good elk tags. The elk were archery tags though, so they're not pictured in this thread.

CTXhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome post Steve. You have more experience in this field than most, and I greatly appreciate your openness and honestly. If we all could put our pride aside and speak honestly we’d probably all waste less money and own different guns than we do lol. Good reminder for me and everyone to not get married to a scope, rifle, or any piece of gear just because you spent a lot of money on it

jgross424

FNG
Lots of things SUCK in California lol.
I wonder if its possible to buy, register and store a suppressor at a friend's/relatives in a legal state..? ie I live in CA too and my uncle lives in Reno. It would be really easy to pop in and pick it up on my way to an out of state hunt..

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I wonder if its possible to buy, register and store a suppressor at a friend's/relatives in a legal state..? ie I live in CA too and my uncle lives in Reno. It would be really easy to pop in and pick it up on my way to an out of state hunt..
That would be super easy to do with a trust. Probably not worth the effort though.