Damaged action?

I rebarreled my proof research rifle today… it took a lot of torque to remove the old barrel and I’m worried I may have damaged the action, it looks okay but the amount of force I used was a lot! I used a 2 ft cheater bar… the new barrel torqued on very easily… what potential damage could of been done? I’ve heard of a “twisted action” but I’m not sure how to tell if anything like that has happend

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I rebarreled my proof research rifle today… it took a lot of torque to remove the old barrel and I’m worried I may have damaged the action, it looks okay but the amount of force I used was a lot! I used a 2 ft cheater bar… the new barrel torqued on very easily… what potential damage could of been done? I’ve heard of a “twisted action” but I’m not sure how to tell if anything like that has happend
What action wrench did you use?
Where did you hold the action?

I have used bigger bars than that, and didn’t twist actions. You really have to be abusive.

By the way, if you didn’t know, a 10 or 15 pound hammer with one solid smack is usually enough to break factory barrels off. For some reason that has worked far bette than cheater bars.

OP
Joshuajosh
What action wrench did you use?
Where did you hold the action?

I have used bigger bars than that, and didn’t twist actions. You really have to be abusive.

By the way, if you didn’t know, a 10 or 15 pound hammer with one solid smack is usually enough to break factory barrels off. For some reason that has worked far bette than cheater bars.
Used a bug holes wrench with the origin cutout, had it in a barrel vice with wood blocks fit to the contour of my barrel shank

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Used a bug holes wrench with the origin cutout, had it in a barrel vice with wood blocks fit to the contour of my barrel shank
You were probably torquing on the lug and so if you don’t see anything you are good. Unlikely you twisted the action doing that.

OP
Joshuajosh
You were probably torquing on the lug and so if you don’t see anything you are good. Unlikely you twisted the action doing that.
Torquing on the lug? Sorry… this is my first time doing this

kpk

WKR
Smacking it with a hammer and "shocking" it loose typically works better than a breaker bar. I was under the impression - and I may be wrong - that most of the internal wrenches were designed to take the damage before damaging the action.