Damn goatheads!

KsRancher

WKR
I had them bad when I bought my place. Gordon's Trimec with crabgrass preventer has done wonders on my place. It has a residual broadleaf control. I think 1qt treats 5000sq ft. And you can apply to 2 times a year. Like mentioned above. They don't do good in thick established grass. I planted my yard to Bermuda grass. BUT, you can't put any 24D on first year grass. It's taken me 6yrs to get rid of the goat heads. Almost have the sand burs whipped. I mainly just walk and pull them.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
Since buying my home in the spring of '17 I've been at war with goatheads and I'm losing. I've sprayed em, burned em, every plant I kill it seems like 10 more pop up. I'm open to suggestions from anyone who's won the battle.

It’s spendy, but Chateau at 6oz/ac, applied in March will give you season long control. Need to be careful what you apply and where(runoff, tree shrub root zone intrusion).

But this is the best ive found in my 30yrs and relatively safe. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
Somewhere on my 5 acres I have a few. Dogs drug them in with them from walks along dirt roads locally. Its not good. Does 2-4D do anything to them?

Yes it does.

But the biggest reason is that it has multiple flushes every season. Spray today, and in 3 days there’s more. Heaven forbid you get a thunderstorm and bar the door… here they come with a vengeance

Any successful weed program has to incorporate a residual herbicide… ie Chateau

WKR
That's good to know. I'll for sure take a look at that Chateau next year.

Kpfarm

FNG
It’s spendy, but Chateau at 6oz/ac, applied in March will give you season long control. Need to be careful what you apply and where(runoff, tree shrub root zone intrusion).

But this is the best ive found in my 30yrs and relatively safe. Good luck

This one other permit grade pre emergent.

Wellsdw

WKR
Crossbow is a chemical that should kill through through the roots. Timing is important. Hit them just prior to dropping seeds. Then disturb the soil, apply preemergent. Some of The dormant seeds will still germinate. Kill them
With crossbow too. May take a couple years. Crossbow has some generics that will also work that is cheaper.

I used Surflan as a preemergent in late February early March in West Texas. I 100% killed all of my goat heads in my back yard. Surflan is a nasty chemical. Use safety precautions when spraying it to avoid any potential side effects.

Last edited:

TheGDog

WKR
Neverheard of "Goathead"... so I do some Google-Fu.. the pics come up and I'm all like "Oh.. Those Dirty Little Rotten B@ST@RDS!" (Familiar with them from this one spot on a trail.) Those little Bastards are mean!

And then... I see "Tribulus Terretris" and go "Oh No Way!"

I instantly recognized that name from supplements to help boost Test. Thought to myself how bizarre that something you curse in the field ends up being this thing which can help ya a lil bit. Weird how life works sometimes.

TheGDog

WKR
I deal with those things too, my main complaint the them coming through my 3/4 crushed drain rock. I’m working on a part of my yard now and can’t decide weather to just put a couple inches of compacted road base then the drain rock or spend the money on fabric for the bottom.

Spend the money on fabric for the bottom. Installing that fabric stuff doesn't take long, anyway.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
If you haven't already tried, it's worth reaching out to the county weed district office. Those folks generally know what they're talking about, and will usually treat your property for free or for a ridiculously low price per acre because they are paid with tax dollars. Goatheads aren't on their high priority list, but it's still worth a shot.

I've never dealt with the Washington county office, but the Ada county office is legit. I have a bit of rangeland weed experience and a professional applicators license, but felt like a kid fingerpainting next to Michelangelo when I saw some of the county guys work.

Huntnway

FNG
My wife runs a daycare and takes the kids on a walk every day. They pull every one they find. Most effective way we have found. We bought some road mix for our driveway and it came loaded with the stupid things.