Danner Boots still a good brand?

505Wapiti

WKR
I have don’t wear Danner boots anymore just because there are others that fit me better, but I do have their hiking shoes that I love. I bought Danner’s for my 15 year old to hunt in and he has covered lots of rough miles with zero issues for whatever that’s worth.

Ive been wearing the mountain 600 boots to work in for about 5 years. Im on my 5th pair…they last me about one year. They are kind of a hybrid of a trail runner sole with an all leather upper. Im on my feet basically all day and they are very comfortable. After about 9 months the soles start getting compressed and loosing their support. Could probably get a longer life out of a boot with a more dense sole but i like the cushioning they provide. They remain waterproof through the life of the boot (literally standing in stagnant water) but are not the most breathable. I would not choose them for rigorous mountain use but they are great for me at work and daily chores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ptpalpha

FNG
I've worn them for around 25 years. Acadia and Super Rainforest at work, and the original all leather hunters (with the air-bob soles!) for hunting long ago.
I only have experience with their made in America models, but here's my $.02:
1. They're heavy. The Rainforest feel like lead.
2. They're not inexpensive, by any metric.
3. Their soles seem to wear out much faster than they used to.
Side note: I had a pair where one boot squeaked with every step. I contacted Danner and got the same response: it'll wear in.
It never stopped.
4. I've had 3 pair re-soled over the years, and I just can't recommend it anymore. They've sadly become boots that simply aren't worth the trouble and expense of re-soling.
Takeaway: there are better boots in this price range. I recently switched to Lowa R6's to replace the Acadias and so far I'm happy with the change.

I had great luck with Danner Thorofares, they are a true Mountain Boot. I’m going to buy another pair when there is a sale. I wrote a reveiw a few years ago.
The only downside I have with the Thorofare is that there is not a loop or a tab at the back of the boot. When my hands are cold, it was difficult gripping the boot to slide my foot in.

My current desert boot is a Danner Reckoning:
For desert or dry terrain I can’t recommend this boot enough. I will definitely buy more of these as they are not “re-craftable”.

I wear “re-craftable” leather boots for work (road construction) and buy Red Wing, Thorogood and Danner. I’ve re-soled some old boots a half dozen or more times. Finding a good shoe repair company is harder and harder to do these days.

Elkslut

FNG
Used to really like dinners, seems lately they don't want to hold up but price keeps going up.