Danner Boots

quent

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of Hood Winter Lights that are 8-10 years old and going strong. These came in a narrow width at one time but not any longer. With these being recraftable there’s no reason why these won’t last a very long time. I’m considering the Canadians for a little more height. I’d like to try Crispis but there isn’t a dealer in my area and I’d like to try them on before buying.
I've been wanting to get a pair of the hood winter lights for awhile. I own so many pairs of boots though it's hard to convince the wife to green light it lol all of my danner are either rough out or nubuck and a pair to maintain. Recraftable boots are hard to beat for sure!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I hunt chukar in Hell’s Canyon. If you’ve never seen it, it’s aptly named. Never got more than two seasons out of any Danner boot in there. Given the conditions I thought that was a pretty good deal. Then I bought a pair of Kenetreks. I use my oldest pair still for early, guaranteed to be dry, hunting. They leak a little at 10, rebuilt once. Thinking about it they are shot. I have a five year old pair and a brand new pair. no more Danners.

quent

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt chukar in Hell’s Canyon. If you’ve never seen it, it’s aptly named. Never got more than two seasons out of any Danner boot in there. Given the conditions I thought that was a pretty good deal. Then I bought a pair of Kenetreks. I use my oldest pair still for early, guaranteed to be dry, hunting. They leak a little at 10, rebuilt once. Thinking about it they are shot. I have a five year old pair and a brand new pair. no more Danners.
What danners are they?

Actually my duty boots were pretty dang good, the pronghorns were comfortable but only lasted two seasons. Probably 60 total days in the gash.

quent

Lil-Rokslider
Actually my duty boots were pretty dang good, the pronghorns were comfortable but only lasted two seasons. Probably 60 total days in the gash.
Yeah, my military danners are all amazing. The rivot is the most comfortable boot I've ever worn. It's none craftable though. My pronghorns didn't last long either. I hunt some pretty steep and craggy stuff. Just piss poor Chinese quality. The leather on them is a joke.

cory44

FNG
I had a pair of Danner vital Over the ankle non-insulated that I use last season I like them they were light They got stolen from my trailer
I replace them with Danner Alsea 8”

rhusby28

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve owned several pairs of Danner Pronghorns. For the most part they have done the job. I always clean and apply a waterproofing wax, but the first thing I notice is when they start to leak. The current pair I bought 4 years ago and even walking through damp grass got my feet wet. I went all in on a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes this winter. Haven’t tried them out yet. Hopefully they do the trick.

krojemann

WKR
For you Danner owners. How do they typically run? I've been eyeing up a pair of Alseas, but not sure what size to get since the half sizes stop at 12. I wear size 12 Keen work boots, size 11.5 Under Armour tennies, and been wearing a 12.5 Scarpas for elk hunting. The scarpas fit good, just too stiff. What do you think would be the best place to start? 12? 12 wide? 13?

rhusby28

Lil-Rokslider
For you Danner owners. How do they typically run? I've been eyeing up a pair of Alseas, but not sure what size to get since the half sizes stop at 12. I wear size 12 Keen work boots, size 11.5 Under Armour tennies, and been wearing a 12.5 Scarpas for elk hunting. The scarpas fit good, just too stiff. What do you think would be the best place to start? 12? 12 wide? 13?

I wear a size 10 wide in Danner and a 10 in Keen. Danner seem to run true to size. If you have a fat foot like me then buy a wide.

@fulldraw

FNG
I've had a pair of Danner's "Elk Hunter" boots for a couple of years now -- bought them because they were some of the few non-Chinese Danner's with solid reviews. I'm trying real hard to like them.

I have a pair of 400g Danner Pronghorns. Used them on one elk hunt. They have been sitting on the shelf ever since. Not because they are terrible boots. They were comfortable, no break in time, and dry from the outside in. I found out on that hunt just how hot my feet run. If I would have bought non-insulated I think I would have wore them out before I quite wearing them. But I had some serious trouble with a pair of Danner work boots and a (probably isolated) poor customer service experience and I went with a different brand after that.

JFK

WKR
Own three pairs of US made Danners. I hunt and hike in their non insulated Eastridge boot and love it. A little break in was necessary but now they are the most comfortable boots I’ve ever owned, with the right amount of support. I have about 100 miles on them and they are in great shape and can be rebuilt when I wear the soles out. I also have their US made Quarry boots that I use for house work and was issued their wildland firefighting boot through my work and love them.

I tried a pair of the euro style boots on and my foot and lower leg just doesn’t feel stable in them. I like the wider sole on old school stitch down boots....especially when side hilling on loose surface.

Gary58

FNG
I have 3 pair of Danner boots that go all the way back to 1985. My first pair was a 200 gm Thinsulate Hunting boot with what they called the Wedge sole. I have hunted with those boots for years and they still are in great shape. My other two pair are Hiking boots and I wear them daily walking in the city. WE walk between 40 and 50 miles per week. Danners with the sewed on soles are a little heavy but they feel great on your feet. I also have Lowa, Merrell, and Vasque boots. They all fit well and are comfortable but none of them last like the Danners have. The glued on soles of these boots tend to wear faster and even though I have had them resoled, the soles are not as good as the original.

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
For the danner guys, check out the Crag Rat USA it fit the niche i had between my lowa baffin pros as a heavy/stiff mountain boot and the Cabelas Meindl Ultralights that are almost tennis shoe soft but comfortable.

I still want to try some hanwags but finding them in the US is hard, crispi just could not find a model that worked for my feet.

TomM

FNG
I used to use Hod winter lights and grouse versions years ago for sheep hunting before we had all the mountaineering options we do now. The grouse would start to leak after two seasons. The hood winter light being all leather was a bit better because you could treat the leather to make them more water resistant. Problem I had with both is they seem to shrink bad in the width department, regardless of treatment. Also the soles are terrible on ice. I went to Meindl’s and never looked back. Now that I can’t get Meindl’s (Thx Bass Pro), I ordered a pair of Asolo, haven’t had a chance to shake them down yet.

Tower

FNG
I used to use Hod winter lights and grouse versions years ago for sheep hunting before we had all the mountaineering options we do now. The grouse would start to leak after two seasons. The hood winter light being all leather was a bit better because you could treat the leather to make them more water resistant. Problem I had with both is they seem to shrink bad in the width department, regardless of treatment. Also the soles are terrible on ice. I went to Meindl’s and never looked back. Now that I can’t get Meindl’s (Thx Bass Pro), I ordered a pair of Asolo, haven’t had a chance to shake them down yet.
Do you feel the actual last shrunk in the width, or the leather? Interested to know because my Hood’s are a narrow, and I’ve always had narrow feet. However last fall I felt they were much more snug than in seasons past and didn’t know if it was the boot or my feet were getting wider as I age. I’ve always treated them with Danner products or Montana Pitch-blend.

The soles are definitely a harder rubber and terrible on ice and hard pack snow. I have Schnees for that though.

That’s a narrow last to begin with and I’m considering ordering another pair in Regular width. Along with trying Crispi GTX Guides.

wadegarrett

Lil-Rokslider
I wear a size 10 wide in Danner and a 10 in Keen. Danner seem to run true to size. If you have a fat foot like me then buy a wide.
I also run true to size with NewBalance running shoes and Dakota work boots for the Alsea.

Some comments about them leaking made me a little worried so I got up to my ankles and moved around a little bit for a few minutes. No leaks reported from my pair. Overall, very comfy and pretty light boots.

Last edited: