Darn Tough Socks

I wear the Hiker Boot Full Cusion Men's #1405 year round and only switch to the Mountaineer for very cold temps. For me its the best all around sock I have used.

I wear the Hiker Boot Full Cusion Men's #1405 year round and only switch to the Mountaineer for very cold temps. For me its the best all around sock I have used.

I have some of these as well and really like them. The "full cushion" is thinner than most bulky wool socks, warm and very comfortable IMO. I like DT a lot once I took the plunge.

I know this has been probably discussed ad nauseum but can you guys give me a quick rundown of why you choose 20-25 dollar darn toughs over say smartwool or other merinos which can be had at a third of the price. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agree with previous post. just had three new pair arrive today for rotation in a new pair of schnee boots.three different thicknesses, will pick a winner soon.

I know this has been probably discussed ad nauseum but can you guys give me a quick rundown of why you choose 20-25 dollar darn toughs over say smartwool or other merinos which can be had at a third of the price. Thanks Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a huge Smartwool fan. . . So much so that all my underwear and base layers are Smartwool. The choice of Darn Tough socks for me was a consideration of quality, function, durability and economics. I live, work and play outdoors over 300 days a year. I own 7 pair of #1450 Darn Tough socks that I rotate and wear nearly 365 days a year. The only exceptions are when I'm skiing or climbing with crampons at which time I wear a Darn Tough over the calf padded or over the calf mountaineering sock. They have an unconditional lifetime guarantee which means I will likely never buy another pair of socks again. The extra space in my sock drawer next to my bed is now used to hide my a Bio-metric handgun safe to keep it out of plain sight from my grandkids.

As I recall many years ago I purchased them at around $13.00 a pair. I think you can still find some sales and special offers for not much more than that.

Last edited:
Right on- thanks all. Will just have to keep an eye out for sales I guess. And work my way through the other dozen pairs of merinos I own.

Would I throw out my good socks that I have today to buy DT socks? No.

Would I buy a different brand going forward. NO!

Nice input fellas, I'm more looking for what specific models guys like for the specific use I stated in the thread opener.

Totally threw out my other socks only wear darn tough. Just sent 2 pairs back to them that wore out. New pairs on the way warranty is legit

The only wool socks I have used were dickies brand so my experience is pretty limited. I ordered One pair of 1405 and 1461 I am looking forward to them.

Back