Liner or no Liner

BKhunter

WKR
Hey All,

I've used liners here and there but would love to hear what everyone else is doing. I run darn tough mid-weight merino socks and am curious if I even need to wear a liner with these. If you all recommend this which liners are you running.

BK

Wapiti151

WKR
Try both with your boots and see how it goes. I personally have ditched liners all together and use Leuko Tape instead for where I tend to get hot spots. That stuff is gold. Tougher than hell and it'll stay on no matter how sweaty my feet get for a 5 day hunt or so as long as you put it on dry clean feet before you start hiking. I have yet to even get a hot spot if I have leuko tape on, even during new boot break in and heading straight up a hill. In a hunting situation I always put it on just in case before I head out and always have some extra in my first aid kit and around a trekking pole. You can always put more layers on too if it's especially bad. I would NOT put the stuff on over a blister though unless you have to. Did that once and it hurt like hell taking it off. Once it is stuck on there it is STUCK.

Synthetic Injinji liners have been pretty great for me. I use them with full cushion Darn Toughs. Very little bulk and my feet feel cooler. I’ve tried a few other liners but pretty set on the Injinji.

BBob

WKR
I wore liners for decades but with some of the newer merino (Kuiu) I've ditched them the last couple of years. For most of those years I wore polypro (who knows how many brands I've used) more recently I've worn merino (Smartwool) liners. Very early on I wore some silk. On really cold hunts (rare for me) I'll probably still wear the poly since it seems to keep next to foot dryer than merino liners. I'm no help on hot spots or blisters. Haven't had a blister or anything foot related since early as a kid. Mby I have tough feet from all the years backpacking and hiking?

These are the liners i use :

Rock-o

WKR
Only Darn Tough Merino socks, no liners. I carry liners but have never worn them. I'm going to ditch them since I also carry Leukotape.

I wear liners with Darntough merino hikers. I carry leukotape just in case, but I have not used any since I started wearing liners.

In the past I would tape up my feet before putting on socks. That worked for a while. The tape stayed pretty good, but would need to be reapplied every other day. The adhesive left over from a 5 day hunt would get pretty nasty.

The liners are a cheap pair from Cabela's and a cheap synthetic pair from Amazon. Both work well by the Amazon pair seem to dry out quicker.

nobody

WKR
No liners here. My Dad got on a kick with them about 12 or 15 years ago and bought them for him and all his sons, myself included obviously. He's never fought blisters, but I've never had so many hot spots as I did while using the "sock system." I personally believe the sock system came about before guys knew how to fit their boots properly and were just buying whatever was available at the local big box stores because "boots are boots," right? But now, there's so many good options out there for footwear, it's so easy to get the right boots for your use and your foot.

I personally believe (personal bias warning here) that if you "NEED" a liner sock system to keep from getting blisters, your footwear doesn't fit correctly. I wear nothing but darn tough and smart wool socks, with the weight/thickness changing depending on the season and type of hunt. I don't use a liner, and haven't had a blister or even a hot spot in the past 10 or 12 years. The only exception to that was last year, when I was archery elk hunting. I got a couple hot spots because, dumb me, I had bought a new pair of boots prior to the hunt and didn't realize until we got in there about 4 miles that they were a half size too big. So again, the only hot spot I've had in the past 10 or 12 years was caused by poor fitting footwear.

I know some guys swear by them. Heck, my Dad and a couple of my brothers are amongst that crowd. But they're not THE solution for everybody. I would recommend getting fit properly for your boots and then try using them with and without a liner. I'd bet a few bucks you might discover you fall in the camp that doesn't need the liners.

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
I use the scheels liners with various merino socks (depends how cold it is) and I still tape my feet. I started pre-taping ever since I developed a bad blister a couple of days into a hunt a few years ago. Never had an issue since.