Darn Tough vs. Smartwool

dmramsey

FNG
Stuck between going all in on darn tough or Smartwool. Both are great options but I have an opportunity to get bulk of each. Any input is welcome.

mlgc20

WKR
Personally Smartwool is the easy choice. Darn Tough has a great warranty. But, I think the Smartwool performs so much better.

I love my darn tough socks. Hands down better than my fl socks. I don’t have any personal experience with smart wool though.

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
Smartwool socks and base layers for me. That said, if I saw a good deal on darn tough, I'd not hesitate to get.

Mark.c

FNG
Smartwool PhD medium cushion for me however buy the sock that fits you and your boots the best. You may need to try a few to find out.

Darn Tough has my vote, they last many seasons and off seasons without getting holes and stretching out. Have also had great luck with smart wool liner socks.

oldillini

Lil-Rokslider
Darn Tough has been my choice for years. Probably a dozen pairs in the stable, heavy to light. Some being 5+ years old and still great condition. I have had only 1 pair with an issue. A hole surfaced in around the big toe. Sent a pic to their customer service and within a week had a new pair.

AZxp

FNG
Darn tough for me. I think the smart wool may be a little better engineered but they just don't last. I'll wear out thr heals or somewhere in one season where I can go 3 or 4 with darn tough

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
Only have experience with darn tough and they’ve been great, that’s all I wear now. Rotate between 8-9 pairs and they show no sign of wear over the past year and half.

elkguide

WKR
Have both and while SW may be a little bit softer, DT outlasts way longer and they replace no questions asked.

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
I have both. Depends on model. Darn tough tend to last longer but can also shrink and become a bit tight over time. Smart wool tends to wear out sooner. My ski socks are all Smart Wool. Some hiking socks are too. My cold weather and hunting socks are Darn Tough.

One style - no show running socks - has a clear winner: Smart Wool. Darn Tough shrink and become too tight after a few washes and also wear out. They suck. All other models are great.

h2so4

WKR
I have both. Depends on model. Darn tough tend to last longer but can also shrink and become a bit tight over time. Smart wool tends to wear out sooner. My ski socks are all Smart Wool. Some hiking socks are too. My cold weather and hunting socks are Darn Tough.

One style - no show running socks - has a clear winner: Smart Wool. Darn Tough shrink and become too tight after a few washes and also wear out. They suck. All other models are great.
I’ve had the exact opposite experience with the darn tough running socks. Mine have been great over the years. I even bucked up and got 4 more pairs so I can wear darn tough every day, no matter what the activity.

mrolen

Lil-Rokslider
I have both and like both I like the lighter weight smart wool socks for early season or summer hiking when it gets cold I have a set of darn tough that I really like will be getting more of both brands

Darn tough can’t beat the warranty. I wear a hole in them out after about 9 months but I rotate through 7 pair( basically one per day of the week) I have not noticed shrinking. I have light boot socks and mid weight with full cushion. I think I particularly go through them with wearing my cowboy boots and I have wide feet, but the warranty is easy to use and fast ( about 2 weeks from when I ship them back)

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Hands down I prefer Darn Tough. They stay up better and last longer. Out of the brands I have used, Darn Tough is my favorite, followed by Fits, then Kuiu, then Wigwam, then Smartwool, and last REI.

I will only spend money on the first two.