Data breach email?

LostArra

WKR
Did anyone else get a data breach email from Rokslide? I never trust an email that gives an embedded link to change a password.

wyosteve

WKR
I got one several months ago, but deleted it without clicking on the link. Changed my password then and haven't had one since.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Even if someone did a data breach on RS.......exactly what data would they actually get? I don't have a whole lot of data on here that would be useful to anyone.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Did anyone else get a data breach email from Rokslide? I never trust an email that gives an embedded link to change a password.
Good call on not following links from emails. I have an acquaintance that does penetration testing on company servers for a living and he told me he starts with a phishing email like that.

In this case it's not phishing. It's from our security software. It monitors data breach lists and compares the emails to our user list. If it sees a match it will email you.

SonnyDay

WKR
Even if someone did a data breach on RS.......exactly what data would they actually get? I don't have a whole lot of data on here that would be useful to anyone.
If you re-use passwords across sites… they’ll use your RS password to get into your other accounts. If any of those accounts are financial or are your primary email… bad things will happen.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If you re-use passwords across sites… they’ll use your RS password to get into your other accounts. If any of those accounts are financial or are your primary email… bad things will happen.
Ya, like I'd use my RS password for financial accounts.......LOL.

But they'd also need to figure out what financial accounts you actually had and usernames for those accounts, along with the passwords.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member

But they'd also need to figure out what financial accounts you actually had and usernames for those accounts, along with the passwords.
Your much to smart to get scammed it seems.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Your much to smart to get scammed it seems.
A little common sense goes a long ways.

I also have a totally separate bank account attached to Paypal, and that's its only use. And rarely has any money in it. And that account is at a bank I don't use for my normal accounts.

Russ89

FNG

Figuring out those accounts is easier than you might think if they have one of your emails. That's where the different and complex password concept comes into play and makes the difference, and definitely the common sense.

Nice that RS does that for its users and not just for their site.

SonnyDay

WKR
The criminals (mostly Russian) just hit their list of the top 10,000 or so financial sites... using your email and whatever passwords they have stolen. They also have bots that will try a few million permutations of that password (since many folks have a base password with lots of variations on top).

Keep those passwords completely unique, folks!

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. Just got the following...
View attachment 517216

As stated earlier in the thread, this is legit.