Dates for 2020 Co Archery Elk

Muzzy48

FNG
Hi all! New to the site and western hunting in general. All the information is greatly appreciated.

I’ve been doing some planning for a few months and learning whatever I can from wherever I can obtain information(podcast, gohunt, elk101, youtube, hunting articles, etc).

I’m not asking for anyone’s honey holes, or best units, etc. What I am asking for is some honest recommendations on time frames to archery hunt Elk in CO in September 2020. I’ve read Corey Jacobsen’s articles and some others on when they feel is a good time to hunt elk but nothing in particular for CO that uses hunting pressure as a guide.

I basically will have 10 days to hunt after traveling from PA. I gotta be back by the 26th for my anniversary or it may be the last hunting trip I take. I’m torn on when to go with Labor day being the 1st weekend and a few days later Muzzleloader begins and ends the 20th. Being new, finding elk will be a successful hunt but if we could have some close encounters(bulls or cows) and hear a bugle or two it would make the trip that much better.

How much does the Labor Day weekend activity affect hunting the following week? What impact does ML season have on hunting? Does it really matter for a newbie?

I’m just trying to stack the odds in our favor and looking for some guidance. Thanks in advance.

Bronc

Lil-Rokslider
Labor Day- It’s no different than any other weekend in the mountains (extremely busy).
ML season- Definitely more hunters in the woods. I don’t let it influence my hunt.
If you try to plan around all of the perceived negative times (ML season, holidays, full moon, not peak rut, etc), you’ll never be in the woods. I’d just pick the dates that work best for you and your hunting partners. Have fun!

bwlacy

WKR
I prefer later in the month. The later the better, better odds of hearing them talk during the day.

Of course I'm still a newbie and haven't killed one with a bow yet. Been really close.

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
Labor Day- It’s no different than any other weekend in the mountains (extremely busy).
ML season- Definitely more hunters in the woods. I don’t let it influence my hunt.
If you try to plan around all of the perceived negative times (ML season, holidays, full moon, not peak rut, etc), you’ll never be in the woods. I’d just pick the dates that work best for you and your hunting partners. Have fun!
+1
e.png

Cowbell

WKR
Don't buy into which part of the month or moon phase. If you watch Corey & Donnie or BRO, they kill bulls every week of September consistently.

Werty

WKR
This probably won't help, but just pick a date and go. You can't control the weather, people, and forest fires. Your new jump in, the water is fine. Good luck!

Phaseolus

WKR
I like the first week and the last week, but I hunt in between those too. You won’t here much for bugling that first week, but you might.

Bookhead

FNG
I dont care what anyone says. Moon phase is a huge factor for elk activity. But you can still call in and kill elk during a full moon it is just more difficult and they don't tend to talk much during the day and barely any at nite

Gapmaster

WKR
Personally I prefer the last 10 days. Although I’ve taken elk in first few days as well. But for my style of hunting(dark , nasty, and steep) I prefer the last days because the pressure has them in predictable areas and the vocalizations seem more frequent. But to each their own. I’m sure there’s tons of guys who say opening week because of no pressure. Pick a date and go. Let your hunting style dictate your future wants/needs. Can’t go wrong with any week really. Can’t kill em if you ain’t huntin!! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk