Daughter's health ins

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
My sister (83) is in a full care facility.
The state allows her $XX/mo for personal needs and $XXX to pay for a health insurance policy that she maintains through the company she retired from.

Last month, the finance office of the nursing home asked me (I have her POA) what her insurance premium was so they could adjust their monthly withdrawal.
Imagine my surprise when the insurance company said they were told she had signed up for a different policy.
That company called them and told them to drop her from their roles!
The problem is:
1) she DID NOT sign up for a different policy
2) NO ONE was notified that any change in policy was coming
3) had I not called for the premium information, NO ONE would have realized that someone else had arbitrarily changed her insurance
4) if the change had not been discovered, it would have been permanent Feb 29th!

Insurance companies and full care facilities play fast and loose with the health insurance of our elders!

Forgive this topic, I know it has nothing to do w/ hunting. I just trust guys info on here more than anywhere else.

We just found out my oldest daughter (turned 18 last Oct) was kicked off our blue cross family plan. Just got a renewal letter, and she wasn't listed. She is healthy (athletic) w/ no real medical issues, minus a couple visits for girl cramp stuff. (I let her mom handle that)

Blue cross won't even tell us why she's ineligible? She's been walking around uninsured for the last 20 days, and I didn't even know it. I had a client tell me that your kids should be allowed on your ins until age 26? Pretty pissed off.
The Affordable Care Act indeed allows individuals to remain under their parents' policy until age 26, though this is not necessarily automatic with all insurance companies (i.e., once a covered individual turns 18, there may be some action required on the part of the policy holder to keep the coverage going for their 18 year-old). Also, might help to know that if not able to re-activate the policy for any reason and worse comes to worse she needs some urgent/emergent medical care after the coverage has expired, she can apply for COBRA retroactively within I believe 60 days after the original insurance coverage expires (which will keep the same insurance coverages active for a monthly fee).

MattB

WKR
Thanks for the link, guys. I've read thru it. I learned we weren't insured thru the AHCA. We had a better deal without it w/ a lower deductible. With her getting booted out of that plan, we will have to sign her up for the AHCA.
Nobody is insured through the act itself. That response doesn’t make any sense to me.

WCB

WKR
It was awhile ago but I graduated in 2004 and I think even at that time you stayed insured through 22 or 24 years old.

KsRancher

WKR
I have figured out with insurance that they make the rules and you just take it in backside. We had a little girl on Jan 20th 2023. Our insurance renewes Feb 1st. Was told our insurance wouldn't go up as we are on a "family plan". It didn't go up in 2023. Just got a letter a while back saying it was going up. And by a lot. When I called in they said it was because of the little girl. Its thru my employer. He pays for me and I pay for the rest of the family. It went up over $400/month just for the kids.

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
You might look into using an HSA instead of the safe. That way it's not taxable income.
?????
At our age, we don't file federally.
The money comes from our monthly retirement check, i.e., it's already been taxed.

oake

Lil-Rokslider
I was curious whether she could be afforded healthcare through her employer. That’s been mentioned - so carry on

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
I have figured out with insurance that they make the rules and you just take it in backside. We had a little girl on Jan 20th 2023. Our insurance renewes Feb 1st. Was told our insurance wouldn't go up as we are on a "family plan". It didn't go up in 2023. Just got a letter a while back saying it was going up. And by a lot. When I called in they said it was because of the little girl. Its thru my employer. He pays for me and I pay for the rest of the family. It went up over $400/month just for the kids.
Yes sir! Same, same.
We bought into insurance with the assurance premiums would be held to a minimum and any increases would be minimal.

An increase from $499/mo to $850/mo, to us, WAS NOT minimal!

Havent read entire thread but my wife and I have had excellent results with Christian Healthcare Ministries.

Know others with same experience.

I'm sure there are others similar.

Best thing Obamacare ever did was force us to give up our regular insurance and make the jump.

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
Havent read entire thread but my wife and I have had excellent results with Christian Healthcare Ministries.

Know others with same experience.

I'm sure there are others similar.

Best thing Obamacare ever did was force us to give up our regular insurance and make the jump.
That is what is referred to as a "health share".
That's what we bought into also.

Before we signed up, I called their "enrollment" office.
I had Medicare A & B.
What Medicare B cost would pay their premium. Told them I wanted to drop Medicare B and use them as our sole Healthcare provider.
"That will be fine!"
About a year later, we began to get a push from the "health share" to rejoin Medicare B and use them as secondary.
One of their big sales pitches was that their premiums were stable.
For us, the premiums only went up.
We eventually rejoined Medicare B, paying a penalty to do so.
THEN, the health share premium doubled! 😡
That's when we dropped the health share and began socking back cash each month to use as a HSA. Except ours is cash and the gummint doesn't know we have it.
We are constantly surprised when we get medical bills, just how often they can be negotiated down. Not always, but more often than you'd think.

When I became eligible for Medicare i dropped CHM.
The kids are on it and DIL recently had a baby. I believe they are very happy with it.
I think it is the best option for young folks.
And negotiating down is less possible nowadays but still works at times, especially
with smaller outfits

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
When I became eligible for Medicare i dropped CHM.
The kids are on it and DIL recently had a baby. I believe they are very happy with it.
I think it is the best option for young folks.
And negotiating down is less possible nowadays but still works at times, especially
with smaller outfits
I know a guy who has what he calls "Samaritan Health Share"
According to him, he negotiates a price, pays it with his credit card.
Then he sends the receipt to Samaritan. Samaritan "publishes" the bill and he begins to receive "checks" from other members until the card is paid off.
I can only surmise you're expected to pay a certain number of requests or a certain amount annually. He didn't say.

I know a guy who has what he calls "Samaritan Health Share"
According to him, he negotiates a price, pays it with his credit card.
Then he sends the receipt to Samaritan. Samaritan "publishes" the bill and he begins to receive "checks" from other members until the card is paid off.
I can only surmise you're expected to pay a certain number of requests or a certain amount annually. He didn't say.
That is definitely not how Christian Healthcare Ministries works. That seems like a crazy business model especailly in this economy.

rodney482

WKR
My oldest daughter in an RN, married and has a child AND still on my Insurance till she turns 26

Rudes

FNG
Obama absolutely ruined healthcare, premiums are through the roof for sub par coverage and the way the networks are setup allows the insurance companies to monopolize coverage.
We have little hope that healthcare will ever get better, only more expensive.

Rich M

WKR
Obama absolutely ruined healthcare, premiums are through the roof for sub par coverage and the way the networks are setup allows the insurance companies to monopolize coverage.
We have little hope that healthcare will ever get better, only more expensive.
This is how I see it.

I sometimes work at a "shop" that has a lot of older folks working thru the system til retirement. They get pensions. Anyway, the early retirements have stopped due to the health care costs - they can't afford to retire early with the expense. Most of the folks who had previously retired early had to get another job to afford the health care increases due to Obama to cover them until they got to 65/medicare.

It locks us into the work system until 65 or close to it. I'm factoring medical costs as the main expense in planning retirement.