Day pack/hauler

AlleghenyMountain

Lil-Rokslider
After many years of hunting private land, I'm back on public land, at least for some of the season. I'm looking for a day pack big enough for another layer of clothes, food, etc, and the ability to haul a quartered deer. I can't see myself spending a night out, but would like some room. I'm willing to spend $300-$375 as I want some reasonable level of comfort. The MR Pop Up 28 is what I keep coming back to, but I've seen the mentions of a larger Pop Up coming out next year. Is there anything else in the price range I should consider? I'm 6'3" and about 240lbs in my out of shape mode, I had hip replacement a month ago and might be better off to wait for next year anyway.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not aware of any pack that is similar to the Pop Up, the ability to fold away the upper frame makes it pretty unique. Obviously most frame manufacturers also make smaller, day use sized bags to use in conjunction with their frames.

The difference I found is that the Pop Up lets move through thick timber and blowdown a lot easier, with less snagging.

The only really downside of the Pop Up is that it's not quite a comfy when the weight gets much above 60-70 lbs vs dedicated haulers.

I used my Pop Up exclusively on all of my day hunts last year, but have hung onto my larger hauler (SG Krux) for multi-day trips.

I'm shopping for a pack right now and as of now my plans are to go with a Selway or Sawtooth and just get a smaller bag that will work on the Guide Light Frame for day trips, but still have the strength to pack meat out and gear out.

Take a look at the MR Mule. I just got one and love the size. I bought it for whitetail and mule deer hunting from the truck. It seems like it will be the perfect size. Small enough to carry all day yet I can still pack out an animal with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tbunao

FNG
How are you hunting? Saddle? Hang on? Pre-set or mobile? Bow or gun?

Grand Passage

Lil-Rokslider
Take a look at the MR Mule. I just got one and love the size. I bought it for whitetail and mule deer hunting from the truck. It seems like it will be the perfect size. Small enough to carry all day yet I can still pack out an animal with it.

This or Pintler depending on what you carry for a daypack. It always leaves the option to get a bigger bag too for an extended trip.

I hunt from a climber, box blind, or ground blind depending on where I am at. I rifle and bow hunt. I also have the MR Pintler that I use for elk and for hunts further back in. They each have their place but I feel the Mule and Pintler are a winning combo for me. Pintler for when I need maximum space and the Mule for when I want to go lightweight and only need limited supplies.

OP
AlleghenyMountain

AlleghenyMountain

Lil-Rokslider
Primarily still hunting, maybe a ground blind at some point. Muzzleloading and rifle, which gives me 7 weeks or so of potential hunting on my side of the Blue Ridge. The Mule's pack is smaller than the PU 28, I'm guessing the advantage is the frame?

Go pop up. If you go pintler or mule you have about 3 more pounds of pack than you need.

A pop up will haul a quarters up deer And is a smaller, better daypack.

JoeDirt

WKR
People put packs way up on their list. I wouldn't worry about it too much, I still go out all day with just a pocket knife and a bottle of water. When I needed to haul some rain gear or a jacket I used a lumbar pack that was made by Gerber it was my absolute favorite. Since there is nothing like that made anymore I settled on the Mystery Ranch Popup still too heavy for my liking though.....

xcutter

WKR
Take a look at the Kuiu Icon Pro 1850 with the Icon Pro Suspension. That's in your price range and is a great pack if the frame fits your torso length. I still have a Kuiu Icon 1850 with Icon Suspension and love it. Have no intention on selling it. Got a Kifaru this year and really like it so the Kuiu has moved to my back up pack or for a day pack.

rjf611

FNG
I love my pop up 18 for still hunting. Wish I got the 28 as the 18 is a little tight for northeast late season. I debated pop up vs. guide light as well....but put a priority on a shorter frame as I still hunt. My old bag with a higher frame would get hung up on branches often when ducking under. As you know the woods are thick in the east.
99% of the time of use my bag carries what I need and doesn’t get hung up.
1% of the time time it is being used to pack out an animal.
I would rather use a pack that does 99% of what I use it for better than a pack that does 1% of what I use it for.
And btw it carries fine. I did not experience any discomfort while packing out a 275 lb black bear last season. In 3 trips.
Just my take.....

Last edited:
OP
AlleghenyMountain

AlleghenyMountain

Lil-Rokslider
I do need to spend some more time on the Kuiu website to research that suggestion. I tend to like to carry quite a bit of stuff, if I get hungry my mind wanders to the nearest serving of mashed potatoes and gravy.

OP
AlleghenyMountain

AlleghenyMountain

Lil-Rokslider
I went the Kuiu route. I got the Icon Pro 3200 Bag from the outlet and the frame was on sale too. So I saved $80. The Icon Pro was out of stock in my size, so I'm going to wait a month or two and get the pro suspension. I had another guy with experience with the Kuiu make a strong recommendation and decided to go with it.

kyro

FNG
stone glacier approach on x-curve frame..you can buy additional packs to switch out as needed..frame is great