Day pack list

Hey everyone I'm looking for critiques on my hunting day pack list. I'm in no way an ultra light weight guy (cant afford it), but you guys are the best with pack lists. All my hunts are day hunts here in Nebraska and will have my first elk hunt next year in Colorado. I would also like to use this setup for 1-3 days hunts as well. Let me know any advice

Pack: Stone Glacier Serac

Water: 3L Platapus Big Zip

Stove: Jet Boil, small fuel canister, plastic spork

Kill Kit (small dry sack): Havalon w/6 extra blades, 4 Allen game bags, 50' of paracord w/carabineer, latex gloves (2 pair)

Essentials (small dry sack): First aid kit, cheap rain poncho, headlamp w/batteries, range finder battery, two small lighters, USB phone charger, extra phone battery

Bow Repair Kit (zip lock bag): d loop/drop away cord material, super glue, field point, allen cluster, string wax

Other misc items:
Toilet paper,
2 packs of wet wipes,
Gerber Saw,
wind checker
flagging tape,
pocket knife
extra pair of socks

Food: Mountain house, coffee bags, BH sandwhich, protein bars

Let me know what you all think!

For a day hike I would drop the stove, go with food that doesn't need heated, drop the 2nd pack of wet wipes. Drop a pair of latex gloves. Drop the range finder battery, one small lighter and water proof matches is what I take. No need for extra phone battery. My critique is based off my knowledge of what I take on day elk hunts. I plan on going back to the truck but if I need to I am willing to stay a night in the bush.

charvey9

WKR
Depends a bit on how far you will travel, but nothing really wrong with that list. A 2 mile hike and sit is a little different than a 15-20 mile loop. Generally if I were going out and back in a day I would not take everything on your list. That being said, I'm normally too lazy to re-pack everything differently for day hikes so I normally just grab my pack and go with most of my gear.

Here are a few things you could leave behind:

Stove & Mountain House. Take advantage of the short trip and pack some real food. Bagel sandwiches, etc. The taste of dehydrated food gets old after awhile, so save it for your longer trips.

Range Finder Battery. They are supposed to last for 1,000,000 reads or something like that. If worried about it, just replace it once a year.

Phone, charger, etc. I don't take my phone when hiking, but that is mainly because I don't get service and it is not as reliable as my GPS and Spot locator. If you get good service where you will be, maybe the phone is a good option.

Bow Repair Kit. Should not be needed for one day out, but keep all the essentials at camp or truck.

Saw. Unless it is needed for how you like to process your animals, but I think everything can be done with the Havalon.

That is just my thoughts based on what you could do without for a day, but nothing wrong with taking it all and being more prepared. Without the weight of a sleep system and extra layers, the extra stuff shouldn't be much of a burden to haul around the mountain.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I didnt see a water filter in your kit there. I never leave camp without mine. Essential for the day trips.

Depends a bit on how far you will travel, but nothing really wrong with that list. A 2 mile hike and sit is a little different than a 15-20 mile loop. Generally if I were going out and back in a day I would not take everything on your list. That being said, I'm normally too lazy to re-pack everything differently for day hikes so I normally just grab my pack and go with most of my gear.

Here are a few things you could leave behind:

Stove & Mountain House. Take advantage of the short trip and pack some real food. Bagel sandwiches, etc. The taste of dehydrated food gets old after awhile, so save it for your longer trips.

Range Finder Battery. They are supposed to last for 1,000,000 reads or something like that. If worried about it, just replace it once a year.

Phone, charger, etc. I don't take my phone when hiking, but that is mainly because I don't get service and it is not as reliable as my GPS and Spot locator. If you get good service where you will be, maybe the phone is a good option.

Bow Repair Kit. Should not be needed for one day out, but keep all the essentials at camp or truck.

Saw. Unless it is needed for how you like to process your animals, but I think everything can be done with the Havalon.

That is just my thoughts based on what you could do without for a day, but nothing wrong with taking it all and being more prepared. Without the weight of a sleep system and extra layers, the extra stuff shouldn't be much of a burden to haul around the mountain.

Solid advice right here.

I never use tp and only use wet wipes. Id never take a stove on a day hunt.

Yeah I agree, some really good info shared so far.
Like the others I go flameless for day hunts. I carry a ziplock with a mix of lunch items and a couple extra cliff bars I consider "overnight/emergency food".
I change my rangefinder battery every season whether it needs it or not. Batteries are cheap.

Fire Kit, like you I only carry a couple BIC lighters. One in my pocket and another sealed up in my pack. Never need more.

Water filter, I always carry a Safewater style bottle on my hip belt (opposite side of gun). I also use a Sawyer Mini setup inline on my bladder hose, which doesn't always go with me. Just depends on where I'm hunting, water availability in the draws and canyons, and how far I plan to venture for the day. Most of the time I can dip water from a stream w/ my Safewater bottle and tank up until I pee when I cross a stream down in some hell hole. When I don't take my bladder, I do tend to carry a 1/2L soda bottle of back up water in my pack. This is mainly so I have a bottle to add Via/Crystal Lite Tea to. Can't put stuff like that into a filter bottle right? So I consider it not only emergency water but my trail beverage cup as well. I have been thinking of trading the plastic out for a metal Snow Peak cup just so I have something that is fire worthy, but so far I can't find reason enough to justify. No need to boil water if I have a filter bottle, and no need for a cook cup if I'm going w/ flameless food. But there is still a voice in my head that says I should have a metal cup...I'm telling myself it's the Good Idea Fairy and I'm ignoring her.

Saw, Havalon "Blaze" knife w/ a saw blade.

First-Aid Kit, I never have carried one. Just a straw sealed w/ neosporene, a couple large 2x3 bandaids and a bit of athletic tape. The athletic tape seems get used more than anything, and not always for first-aid. Probably should sub that out for Duct-Tape as that seems more useful & versatile.

Kill Kit, when you can swing the $$'s, upgrade to a set of TAG Bags. Much lighter than the Allen set. (although those are pretty good). My kill kit is a self sewed DIY set of ultra light game bags. My whole kill kit fits in a quart ziplock. I use the hide off the animal as my ground sheet, so I don't pack one.

TP, I carry a small roll smashed flat in a ziplock. Doubles as a fire starter and wound dressing. And I carry a partial pkg of anti-bacterial wipes.

I should point out my Day Pack is a 600ci Nimrod Base Belt, and I can still pack out 2 elk quarters with it using a couple DIY meat strap snapped into the harness. It's not for everyone, but those that are strong of back can hunt super light.
Hunt'nFish