Daypack/tree stand setup

KY_coop

Lil-Rokslider
I am thinking of ordering some climbing sticks and a hang on tree stand to hunt with this year. Have never done it before but I am an apprentice lineman by trade so figure it shouldn't be to bad. I have the kuiu venture 1800 on order for my new hunting bag. What is the best way to attach/ haul a stand to your day pack along with sticks and a weapon. Pictures would be great if anyone has them. Thanks

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

OP
K

KY_coop

Lil-Rokslider
Put the stand in the load shelf and strap the sticks to the pack body. Carry weapon.
I believe the pack I bought is internal frame and does not have a load shelf

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

OP
K

KY_coop

Lil-Rokslider
I figured it wasnt but I would think people still do it. I never have to walk more than 4 or 5 hundred yards to get to my spot. Figured I could get away with it for such a short time

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
The combined weight of a stand and sticks with a pack between them and your back is very unwieldy. For such a short distance I would just carry the stand and strap the sticks to the pack.

Strap it to the outside along with the sticks. For that distance you will be fine. I don’t have a pic, but I strap my sticks (4 wolf bundled together with bungee cord) to the back center of the pack vertically. Horizontal is more of a pain in the ass and cathes on brush and trees. Place padding between the sticks and the stand. Strap the stand on over the sticks and crank it down. I use a couple of extra straps with fasted buckles to make it tight. Stand first then sticks works too but hits me in the back of the head sometimes. Just make sure you pad between them to reduce noise.

I also put a set of molle 2 straps on the bottom of my wolf climber so I can haul it without a pack. Not ideal but it works.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Attach the pack to the outside of the stand. Put the stand together like normal and wear the stand. Super easy and comfortable.

stump06

WKR
Get some molle shoulder straps off eBay and put them on the stand then strap the sticks to the stand. I would then just attach the bag to the stand or get a small pouch to put stuff in. You really don't need a lot

mrgreen

WKR
I agree with attaching the pack to the stand. The Kuiu 1800 looks like it's a good size, I'd remove the belt and attach the pack-bag and sticks to the stand like it's the pack frame.

Molle Straps straight to the stand or XOP TSS system are very good. However, a Kifaru, Exo or SG frame would be better for comfort.

OP
K

KY_coop

Lil-Rokslider
For those of you that have them is 4 climbing sticks necessary for most trees or can I get away with 3 sections of the line wolf

stump06

WKR
For those of you that have them is 4 climbing sticks necessary for most trees or can I get away with 3 sections of the line wolf

It depends on how far you can stretch in between sticks. I like to have 4 because It allows me to get as high as I need to. I also use a movable aider so I can get a little more height with practically no weight. You can buy or make your own aiders, their not too hard to do.

22Jdub

Lil-Rokslider
I've done this on out of state hunts for years and with enough gear and clothes for an all day sit. 4 LW sticks and an assault stand. Having them on a frame or load shelf is great but it's not at all necessary.

It's not a common method but it worked great for me, and I'm not a big guy either (5'7", 140) I used a lumbar pack like the monster fanny from badlands or anything similar. I purchased aftermarket shoulder straps for the stand that had some good grippy material. I'd put on my lumbar pack and then sling the stand with sticks attached over top of it. You can do the same with a regular day pack. The key is not just trying to strap it to a non framed day pack, you still need to use shoulder straps on the stand to keep it tight enough to your body.

Most of my hunting buddies would do the opposite and put the stand on their back and attach the pack to the stand but I didn't like the stand against my back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
K

KY_coop

Lil-Rokslider
It depends on how far you can stretch in between sticks. I like to have 4 because It allows me to get as high as I need to. I also use a movable aider so I can get a little more height with practically no weight. You can buy or make your own aiders, their not too hard to do.
I was wanting to just take my hooks and climbing belt and use my work gear until a friend in the forestry Industry talked me out of it due to tearing up trees. Hes a much better woodsman than I am. He reccomended a few climbing sticks or a climber stand. I think climbers look annoying and more work then the sticks.

stump06

WKR
@KY_coop I use spurs all the time and love them. They don't tear up the trees anymore than climbers. They are great for run and gun.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I was wanting to just take my hooks and climbing belt and use my work gear until a friend in the forestry Industry talked me out of it due to tearing up trees. Hes a much better woodsman than I am. He reccomended a few climbing sticks or a climber stand. I think climbers look annoying and more work then the sticks.

I prefer the comfort and ease of use of climbers over a lock on with sticks any day.

Obsessed1

Lil-Rokslider
I use a strap on stand with sticks. And a self climber. Both have molle shoulder straps and belts fixed to them. My pack then is attached to the stand w compression straps. This year I have also added a DIY tree saddle with self climbing system for light run and gun type hunts where moving might be necessary or longer hike ins to stand location.

OP
K

KY_coop

Lil-Rokslider
@KY_coop I use spurs all the time and love them. They don't tear up the trees anymore than climbers. They are great for run and gun.
I dont know the difference between the utility spikes and tree spikes but apparently it's a bug difference. I can tear up a utility pole just by going up and down. You can hardly tell when tree trimmers have climbed a tree